Booing and the Cadets

Mark, I am going to disagree with you... the field sucks, its in bad shape. Hop saw something he didn't like, and i am positive it was a safety issue. Talking to some of the cadets staff, that's what i was told, and I believe them. The kids were pretty shaken up after getting booed off the field.

Agreed, I talked to several and they were upset. DCI messed up and their director is trying to give his kids a safe venue to perform in, period. For those who booed, go to a football game.

Agreed on the booing being towards the director. Granted on such a grand stage such as the performance field, for the kids, it can be hard to differentiate who the boo's are for. Hopefully they understood it was towards their director and not them.

My question is, do they come out tomorrow night for the semis and post 96.5 or higher, that that should have gotten tonight w/o the 2pt deduction? or will this sack their "mojo" and hinder them through out the performance?

Hopkins or the kids... BIG F'ING DEAL!!!! ITS THE SAME THING.

Are you actually going to tell me that any of those kids knows the difference???? All they know is that they were getting booed, and yes, they were a bit shaken up.

No one in this activity should get booed, PERIOD! If you don't like it, go for a walk. But these kids and these staff's work all summer long to perform for you. If you can't show them the smallest bit of respect, then get the hell out.

And I am beyond frustrated... I am mad as hell!

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BOO ANY OF THESE KIDS, PERIOD! THERE IS NO REASON TO HECKLE ANY OF THESE KIDS, PERIOD. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS OF THE DIRECTOR OR THE CORPS! THIS SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!

IF YU TOOK PART IN THIS TONIGHT, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF AND NEVER BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND ANOTHER DRUM CORPS EVENT... EVER.

I couldn't disagree more. Where to start...

1) we bandie around the term "kids" a lot. However, this isn't a bunch of 10 year olds at a little league game. The average age of the corps is probably 20 or 21. There are younger folks killing and being killed in the Middle East. They are, and should be treated as, more mature than a Div III corps.

2) I would dare say that these are people who knew they were going to be part of a controversial show when they auditioned for the corps. Did any of them NOT see 2006? So if they were looking to win a popularity contest, they made a tragic mistake. They joined for perfectly valid reasons: maybe they liked the staff, or the organization, or whatever. More power to them. I hope I can enjoy their shows in the future as much I enjoyed some of their other recent shows.

3) If anyone in the corps took it personally, and I don't believe they did, they need to grow an extra layer of skin. Were they not aware that Hop is probably the single most controversial person in the activity? Did they expect the crowd to cheer when they saw him pulling them off the field?

4) I did not see or hear anyone booing after the performance. I did see people sitting on their hands (as I did) or clapping as they might after a 2 putt.

All that being said, Cadets got a bad rap tonight. The hash marks should have been touched up by order of the show coordinator since they weren't visible. However, even if this whole debacle never happened, the reaction to the show would likely not have been warm and fuzzy.

Let's face it: this is Hopkins' FU to the activity. He's entitled. Jim Mason did the same in '93 when he felt he got a bad deal. But if you're knowingly going to put a controversial show on the field, don't be surprised when it's not universally well received.

Edited by Phillygwm
  • Like 1

Agreed, I talked to several and they were upset. DCI messed up and their director is trying to give his kids a safe venue to perform in, period. For those who booed, go to a football game.

even if such is the case, if Hopkins was so concerned about the hashes he should have checked them before he marched his corps out there.

I have no doubt that if the Cavaliers had held up the show for 15 minutes and the Cadets had arrived at the gate only to find they had to sit and wait for 15 minutes that Hopkins would have been screaming to penalize them.

Cavies managed just fine without hashes and their method of drill relies primarily on individual dots.

Cadets rely on dress and cover. If your system is based on dress and cover and you are still looking for hashes finals week you have bigger problems than faded hashes.

I truly believe that all Hopkins acheived with his grandstanding was to cost his kids 2 spots tonight.

Hop didn't have a problem with the field in 05. That field was TORE THE #### UP. Check out finals: yard lines and hashes alike were not visible, but he never took the corps off the field.

On a side note --

To Hop:

As Delucia eloquently said, "Get over it".

Sincerely,

Sean

Are you actually going to tell me that any of those kids knows the difference????

Are you actually going to tell me that any of those kids DOESN'T know the difference?

I'm in no way defending the actions of the 'booers' in the crowd and aren't going to say that it doesn't have an effect but young adults know the difference between the two. They know what they've signed up for. They know that the crowd is voicing opposition to Hopkins, the 'salt in the wound' being the fact that they're booing 'your leader'. They know that the boos aren't for them but it doesn't matter because the person being raked over the coals is the person they put their trust in. Nobody likes their leader to be attacked, regardless. To that I would add, they play and march a heck of a show. Great job members of the '07 Cadets.

Nut up, guys. I've never seen such a collection of petulant, tender, indignant boy scouts in my life.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

I don't get anyone who boos. I've always liked BD, Cavaliers, SCV, Phantom, 'Coats, etc. though not every year did I love their shows.

It would never occur to me to boo.

It's not possible to claim that a boo is for a director, or for "narration" or "show design" in the abstract. Are all boos for the same thing? How do you separate a boo of narration in general from a boo at a narrator? Or an entire corps?

Some BD fans apparently think this is a Browns/Steelers or Ohio State/Michigan football game.

I have never seen (or read) Cadets fans bashing other corps or booing other corps, and I've been going to shows for two decades.

I have a feeling that every rude shout, every scream, every laugh, will be the DCI equivalent of bulletin board material for the Cadets. (Or food truck door material, I should say.)

What happened in quarters will light a huge fire under the Cadets. Guaranteed.

Semis will be very interesting. And finals even more so.

Zag.