Booing and the Cadets

The funny part of this all is.. The "Kids" have already moved on. They are getting ready to do what they have to do tonight and tomorrow. They are not Dwelling on this like the "adults' are with 47 pages of this stuff.

They will be fine I am pretty sure and most likely in the end they will be laughing with a ring.. So lets be like the "kids" and move on..

Ive seen in more than a couple of post about "needing to hit the dot" while motoring along at 180bpm. At this point in the season it better no longer be about hitting the dot but listening to your music cues and watching the form as well as the major. If your still relying on hitting a certain dot on the field than that's why we have crashes and broken forms on the field. My god these kids have done their drill a million times by now...give up the dot books and keep your eyes open. nuff said.

Perhaps you need to catch up to this era.

Marching to dots is just as common in this era of drum corps as form control was during our days. You might not understand it nor comprehend how it's possible, but I've been schooled in recent years when I questioned the accuracy of dot marching. If the members perfect marching to all of their dots, their forms are taken care of.

So, as you can guess, even in this stage of the game, dots are important, and thus, so are hash marks.

When I pay for a ticket, sovies and food at a show, I have a right to cheer my favorite corps, and boo things I don't like. If booing bothers the kids, they are not being taught what it is to be an adult. Everything is not always peachy, and those TA PC types that expouse that we are only to cheer are not teaching these young adults a dang thing.

When I marching in band in the late seventies and early eighties, our band was booed alot everywhere we went. "spoiled", "they buy championships" "they are not a marching band, they're a drum corps" "they have 120 brass and no woodwinds, how can we compete with that?"" they're all guys and have a million guard instructors, no wonder they always win". This is what I have to endure from the time I started marching in our band. You got used to it, and I started at 10 y/o getting used to it. If a Cadet doesn't understand by now about their controversial director, then they never will get it. If DCI is the major league of the marching arts, then they better get used to a crowd reaction, good or bad.

Everything is not always peachy, and those TA PC types that expouse that we are only to cheer are not teaching these young adults a dang thing.

I usually find myself agreeing with you for the most part when you post.. but we're on opposite ends of the spectrum on this one.

I have just one specific issue I'm willing to address from your comments though.. I don't believe anyone has eSpoused that those who don't like a show should ONLY cheer for the corps.. that's not the point at all.

The point is, if you don't like the show, DON'T WATCH IT. While I think it's rude to leave in the middle of a show, I think it is far ruder to boo in the stands -- whether it's booing the design, the director or the mascot.

Don't like it? LEAVE by all means. Go take a pee break! Save your disdain for the message boards where you have to answer for your actions and not just be an anonymous goon booing without fear of reprisal or response.

For the record, I'm not saying YOU are a goon.. or that anyone else who boos is necessarily a goon.. but man.. use the nuts and bolts god gave you and give criticism where it can either hold water or get shot full of holes.

Leave the corps members out of it.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Boo'ing has NO place in this activity....period, members and/or staff.

Any of these corps have worked as hard as all the others - regardless if they are Division 1, 2 or 3....first place or last.

If you don't like the performance, don't stand, don't applaud. Your silence will speak volumes. However - I believe EVERYONE'S effort and diligence should be appreciated.

I purposely did not read this thread before typing this...I read the subject and put down my feelings...now I will go read it. I hope I am on topic.

When I pay for a ticket, sovies and food at a show, I have a right to cheer my favorite corps, and boo things I don't like.

When I purchase a ticket, I have the right to enjoy the evening without having to endure rude behavior from other spectators.

When exercising your rights invades the rights of others, there's a problem.

I don't know maybe it's me but boo'ing seems like a cowardly way to effect change or to show dissatisfaction. Anyone can stand with a crowd of people and show their arse it doesn't take one ounce of courage or initiative. Sad, really.

I was waiting for Rondo to say "Ladies and gentlemen, they are not blooing. They are booing."

I was waiting for Rondo to say "Ladies and gentlemen, they are not blooing. They are booing."

I think this is the first time I've laughed today reading through all of the hate. Thx.