Booing and the Cadets

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but this is a LIE:

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Anyone with a set of functioning eyeballs could see George "The Egomaniac" Hopkins giving an earfull to Dan Acheson as they were walking off the field (after the score was announced). The only thing Dan was showing George at that point was his back.

And BTW, some of the booing occurred after the corps had completely left the field in Quarterfinals. I booed at this point, and it was directed squarely at George Hopkins (who was obviously being an ###).

And another thing, you people who speak of the corps members as "children" and want to treat them with kid gloves...While some may be minors, these are the same people who are smoking weed before warm-ups and having sex on tour buses. So don't try and paint with a broad brush and make them out to be saints.

Look who's calling the kettle black. You were being just as much of an ### for taking part in the booing. It's a drum corps show. Sit down, shut up and try to enjoy the show.

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but this is a LIE:

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Anyone with a set of functioning eyeballs could see George "The Egomaniac" Hopkins giving an earfull to Dan Acheson as they were walking off the field (after the score was announced). The only thing Dan was showing George at that point was his back.

And BTW, some of the booing occurred after the corps had completely left the field in Quarterfinals. I booed at this point, and it was directed squarely at George Hopkins (who was obviously being an ###).

And another thing, you people who speak of the corps members as "children" and want to treat them with kid gloves...While some may be minors, these are the same people who are smoking weed before warm-ups and having sex on tour buses. So don't try and paint with a broad brush and make them out to be saints.

So, picture this: You are the director of one of the front running corps come Finals and you have to upll your corps off the field for something DCI did not properly do. . .you know, just hypothetically here. Then, you get pegged with a penalty for this, even though, again, DCI did not do what they were supposed to do. You wouldn't be upset and react to try and find out what is going on? Or would it be ok for you to do it since you're not Hopkins?

. . .and you are calling Hopkins names while admitting to booing The Cadets? Priceless.

Edited by TXMystreaux

So, picture this: You are the director of one of the front running corps come Finals and you have to upll your corps off the field for something DCI did not properly do. . .you know, just hypothetically here. Then, you get pegged with a penalty for this, even though, again, DCI did not do what they were supposed to do. You wouldn't be upset and react to try and find out what is going on? Or would it be ok for you to do it since you're not Hopkins?

. . .and you are calling Hopkins names while admitting to booing The Cadets? Priceless.

Whatever. It was bad form on Mr. Hopkins part.

Some of you seem to not be able to read. I didn't boo the freakin' Cadets, I booed George Hopkins...like a lot of other people. Cadets weren't even in the stadium. Repeat...THE CADETS WEREN'T EVEN IN THE STADIUM. Besides, George Hopkins has been working on his reputation for years before this little incident.

So, the same corps that did a totally free-form drill move (the plane from '92) now lives and dies by yard lines? Interesting.

Look who's calling the kettle black. You were being just as much of an ### for taking part in the booing. It's a drum corps show. Sit down, shut up and try to enjoy the show.

^^I'll remember that the next time people so rudely begin to clap.

Actually, George did quite a good job of being an ### by himself (And, apparently, he's been doing it for years behind the scenes).

This whole yardlines excuse, to me, is making a mountain out of a molehill. Most people can march the show blindfolded at this point in the season.

Whatever. It was bad form on Mr. Hopkins part.

Some of you seem to not be able to read. I didn't boo the freakin' Cadets, I booed George Hopkins...like a lot of other people. Cadets weren't even in the stadium. Repeat...THE CADETS WEREN'T EVEN IN THE STADIUM. Besides, George Hopkins has been working on his reputation for years before this little incident.

So, the same corps that did a totally free-form drill move (the plane from '92) now lives and dies by yard lines? Interesting.

First of all, the first chorus of boos started while the Cadets were still lined up but before they began to march off. Maybe that wasn't you, but there was booing (a lot of it) at that point. And AT THAT POINT, you can see where the line between "booing George Hopkins" and "booing the Cadets" might get a little murky.

Secondly, I also thought it was bad form at first. But then when I found out more about what happened -- how other corps had complained as well, about how DCI admitted that an error was made in the relining at the break, etc, etc. I changed my mind. You see, I have this nasty little habit of allowing silly little things like facts guide my opinions sometimes. Crazy, I know, but that's what makes me so much fun at parties.

Thirdly, is it possible -- just possible -- that a single show written in 1992 to 1992 standards might have a little different take on the matter than a single show written in 2007 for 2007 standards? I mean, they probably didn't need hashmarks in 1921 either, but that doesn't mean they're unnecessary today.

Edited by Liam

^^I'll remember that the next time people so rudely begin to clap.

Actually, George did quite a good job of being an ### by himself (And, apparently, he's been doing it for years behind the scenes).

This whole yardlines excuse, to me, is making a mountain out of a molehill. Most people can march the show blindfolded at this point in the season.

So what's your excuse then? You talk so much about GH making an ### of himself, but I am willing to bet that he has done more to help this activity than you have probably done for whatever orgazation of which you are apart. And spare me the "I booed George Hopkins and not The Cadets" argument. GH is The Cadets, so you booed The Cadets.

And spare me the "I booed George Hopkins and not The Cadets" argument. GH is The Cadets, so you booed The Cadets.

That is the most intellectually-lazy piece of nonsense I have seen written in a long time.

Perhaps you can only make linear conclusions, but there are many others who are not limited to such mental myopathy.

Thirdly, is it possible -- just possible -- that a single show written in 1992 to 1992 standards might have a little different take on the matter than a single show written in 2007 for 2007 standards? I mean, they probably didn't need hashmarks in 1921 either, but that doesn't mean they're unnecessary today.

Sure, anything is possible. However, the 1921 reference is a little weak, IMO.

I didn't boo the freakin' Cadets, I booed George Hopkins....
You most certainly did boo the Cadets. You may be buying that line but I'm def not. How sad for you.

That is the most intellectually-lazy piece of nonsense I have seen written in a long time.

Perhaps you can only make linear conclusions, but there are many others who are not limited to such mental myopathy.

HA!!! You may want to try reading what you wrote buddy before you try insulting someone.