Booing and the Cadets

Mike, did you notice I never got an answer on the other thread.

Question went something like: If 120+ people are on the field and you're in the stands booing. How can they and the crowd know which person you are booing......

Exactly so. Spot on.

Oh get over yourself. I can promise you that the vast majority of people were booing George Hopkins, and rightfully so! For someone to pull their entire corps off the field after they have already been announced and were in starting positions, just because you didn't like how the field was painted was akin to a child throwing a temper tantrum. And of course, DCI gave in to their favorite son we all love to hate. In case you forgot, there was a LIVE broadcast that was held up because of Hoppy's little "stunt". And the Blue Devils were forced to wait while at the gate because The Cadets failed to start on time. They were penalized...kudos DCI for that. Someone needs to take GH down a few pegs, and I'm glad someone finally had the guts to do it. Every other one of the 22 corps that were there marched on that field without incident. Did you see The Cavaliers pulling their corps off the field cause they didn't have hashes? No. I did however see George out on the field whining to the head judge about the penalty that was charged them. Poor taste George. I was disgusted by your obvious power-trip. You need to realize that this activity does not revolve around you, and when you throw a sophomoric tantrum over something trivial, YOU WILL GET BOOED! Kudos to every true fan in the Rose Bowl that had the guts to stand up to the hop!

Just a few points:

1) DCI (read: the corps) agreed ahead of time that the field would be repainted at each break - hashmarks included. This did not happen at the last break, so technically, any corps could have broght this up. This is why the aforementioned penalty was reversed. DCI admitted that there was a mess-up with the field lining and apologized accordingly.

2) Heard from a reliable source that another director was livid when his corps finished their show because of the condition of the field and he alerted Mr Hopkins (and others) of the situation before they went on. I believe that this director might have also requested the field to be religned if he had been alerted to it in time. In any event, it shows that maybe the other corps weren't nearly as bent out of shape over the Cadets move as the rest of us were/are.

3) "something trivial" ?? Hard to even know how to respond to this .... maybe we should just eliminate all the field markings if they are so trivial.

4) Not mentioned by this poster quoted above, but (much) earlier in this thread there was a suggestion that this was planned because the Cadets members seemed to line up so quickly and exit without asking questions so clearly they knew that "Hop" was planning this. Ridiculous. How the fact that the Cadets are such a discliplined group that when their director says "line up", they line up, can be so misunderstood (and maligned) is beyond me.

Let me start by saying that although I was not a fan of the Cadets show this season, and yes the narration had much to do with that, there was no way for the corps members to know that they were not the ones being booed. Regardless of my feelings for the show design this season, I just want to applaud George for looking out for his kids first. Whether or not the possibility of harm was real or perceived, he took the time and initiative to ensure their safety on that field.

Hop invited people to boo, in fact, that's when I first noticed something strange was going on when I saw him on the field yelling at the kids 'they are going to boo you'

my thought was 'no, they are going to boo you Hop, why are you putting it on the members?'

seemed almost like some little game to me, like he wanted them booed

maybe he should have saved this stunt for semis

they would not have been booed had they made their request befor they set IMO - Hop handled it badly or maybe he got what he wanted

it was all so silly - thought of saying something to him as he bumped me in the stands headed up to view the show, but it just was not the right time - see timeing is everything

you should have seen him after scores were announced on finals - brooding and walking up and down the field between Cadets and Regiments' block - you know, a big smile or something and he might have pulled it off -but the way it went down, it did not look good, if you are gonna look that bummed and PO best to not make a show of it for ALL to see

Hop invited people to boo, in fact, that's when I first noticed something strange was going on when I saw him on the field yelling at the kids 'they are going to boo you'

my thought was 'no, they are going to boo you Hop, why are you putting it on the members?'

seemed almost like some little game to me, like he wanted them booed

maybe he should have saved this stunt for semis

they would not have been booed had they made their request befor they set IMO - Hop handled it badly or maybe he got what he wanted

it was all so silly - thought of saying something to him as he bumped me in the stands headed up to view the show, but it just was not the right time - see timeing is everything

you should have seen him after scores were announced on finals - brooding and walking up and down the field between Cadets and Regiments' block - you know, a big smile or something and he might have pulled it off -but the way it went down, it did not look good, if you are gonna look that bummed and PO best to not make a show of it for ALL to see

Are you serious?!

Oh, sorry - I called them kids, they are not kids, the ave. age is over 19

we have troops in Iraq that are younger than that, if troops can be sent into battle at 18, I think this kids should be able to handle a boo or 2 - and if not, their corps failed them, this I believe

yeah, I'm serious

I would not have thought to boo them for that - and I wonder if some of the booer were inspired by his speech to the corps

was it a preemptive boo, a motivational boo, a myartered boo?

did you folks at home catch how it went down online?

it really was odd and could have been handled better

Would you boo them too? Or even defend those who would? :(

um, you missed the point - see, if an 18 yo is fit for combat, then our society thinks that an 18 should also be able to handle a boo at a band show

and yes, I'd defend those that would want to boo the troops or the Cadets even if I don't agree with their boos, its called being a good American - see, 'I believe in choice', just like the banner in your sig lines claims, guessed you missed the message of your favorite show this year - kid of shows me just how ineffective their show was

so go ahead, keep trying to hide behind the kids and now the troops - kind of cruddy if you ask me - so very weak

um, you missed the point - see, if an 18 yo is fit for combat, then our society thinks that an 18 should also be able to handle a boo at a band show

and yes, I'd defend those that would want to boo the troops or the Cadets even if I don't agree with their boos, its called being a good American - see, 'I believe in choice', just like the banner in your sig lines claims, guessed you missed the message of your favorite show this year - kid of shows me just how ineffective their show was

so go ahead, keep trying to hide behind the kids and now the troops - kind of cruddy if you ask me - so very weak

bashing of the Corps aren't needed even if you don't like them.At least those corps are still around considering how many Div 1 corps are left. :doh: I'm just curious why would you boo Troopers? it was their 1st year back in Div 1 since 2004 You should just be giving them credit for being back, It takes time. Personally I <3 Troopers. Of the shows I saw this year I thought it was one of the most entertaining shows after Phantom regiment, and Bluecoats.

p.s. Troopers Drum major has a Gun and Sabre I wouldn't mess with them :lookaround: