The Rose Bowl

I'm not thrilled with the Rose Bowl either, especially the buzzing from the lights, but it isn't as horrible as some think. Remember:

Orlando rained all week and was hotter than hell.

Foxboro was in the middle of nowhere, parking was extremely expensive, and there was that stupid freight elevator buzzing all the time.

Even Madison was quite noisy behind (underneath) the stands, and parking was a pain with the shuttle buses.

I seem to recall some...um...field issues in College Park

So noplace is perfect, with the possible exception of Denver (let's say 99.15 out of 100?,) with Buffalo receiving the silver medal. :unsure:

RB does have a few things going for it, though, that other places do not. I apologize if some of these have been covered:

No warmup sounds interfering with corps' programs

Easy in and out from the venue

Beautiful weather

Stuff to do outside of drum corps shows.

Let's hope that after the first year or two, Indy gets the bugs worked out so we have an ideal venue.

Edited by Phillygwm

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really enjoying life in California - I could get used to this weather - especially over winters in the great white north. I could overlook everything but the stadium seats themselves. I'm sure it's livable for all you normal people, but for those of us with weight problems or over 6 feet tall - it is really painful to sit in those seats. We are trying to endure it though, because the corps are worth the pain and suffering. :unsure:

When considering all of the below factors:

Viewing experience (seating/sightlines/sounds)

Stadium amenities

Weather/bugs

Parking

Hotel availability

Souvie area lay-out

Sightseeing opportunities

Accessibility (i.e. ease in travelling to city via air or road)

What other Finals locations were better?

I'd say Denver, maybe Boston . . . and that's about it.

The Rose Bowl is probably the worst DCI Championships venue I have ever been too. You are so far away from the field, and the sound gets washed away before it hits the stands. We should have been in San Diego

The Rose Bowl is bad.

It should have been Stanford. Now that is the best stadium for sound. I was way up in a box and I could hear the young horns of Blue Devils C corps just fine.

I've heard from those who attended the Tour of Champions at the Rose Bowl in 2004 that this was not a place for DCI.

The Rose Bowl is probably the worst DCI Championships venue I have ever been too. You are so far away from the field, and the sound gets washed away before it hits the stands. We should have been in San Diego

In looking at pictures of the Rose Bowl I was thinking that this would be an issue. It's part of the reason why my wife and I opted not to make the effort to travel out for DCI's first Pacific Time Zone Championships. We're already talking seriously about making the trip to Indy next year.

Don't forget Mississippi! I heard many a horror story from those finals!

I actually have very fond memories of the 1993 Championships in Jackson. It was a tremendous season for the corps I was working with, a number of old and dear friends turned out to be there unexpectedly, and it was a first and only chance to revisit a stadium I had performed in as a member of the final edition of the Memphis Blues a decade earlier.

Yeah, it was far from perfect but there are some of us here who have some of their best drum corps memories from Jackson. One thing I remember is that the most expensive ticket for the 'really good' seats in Jackson cost a mere $35.00!

Oh, boy, I can't wait until all the folks that I've been watching stand in horrendous lines just to get into the Rose Bowl get on this thread tomorrow. I'm been out in the souvie marketplace, and have watched hundreds, and probably thousands, of people who paid a pretty penny for tickets miss a big chunk of the show because of the terrible stadium layout.

And talk about rude, obnoxious security people...I thought Foxboro wrote the book on that, but these goons have taken it to a new extreme. Give someone a walkie-talkie and they become the gestapo sometimes. I watched a security guard on a golfcart jump all over a member of the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, telling him he couldn't be standing where he was standing. A Marine, for Christ's sake.

And talk about rude, obnoxious security people...I thought Foxboro wrote the book on that, but these goons have taken it to a new extreme. Give someone a walkie-talkie and they become the gestapo sometimes. I watched a security guard on a golfcart jump all over a member of the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, telling him he couldn't be standing where he was standing. A Marine, for Christ's sake.

To whomever was saying that the people who boo, make pond scum look beautiful...

I think this guy beats it.

Hehe-

Lucky he didn't try to break their ranks. ^0^