The Rose Bowl

My verdict: not as bad as Jackson or Orlando. But not as good as Madison, Denver or Buffalo. I really think that older stadiums are a poor match with DCI championships. Leave aside the uncomfortable seats and bad acoustics for a moment; when the specators can't physically leave the stands, go to the john and return in a 20 minute break without missing a show, due to the endless lines in the tunnels, the venue has basically failed.

I think they'd have done better to look at San Diego, Tempe or Seattle, all of which have much better facilities for their NFL teams.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, boy, I can't wait until all the folks that I've been watching stand in horrendous lines just to get into the Rose Bowl get on this thread tomorrow. I'm been out in the souvie marketplace, and have watched hundreds, and probably thousands, of people who paid a pretty penny for tickets miss a big chunk of the show because of the terrible stadium layout.

And talk about rude, obnoxious security people...I thought Foxboro wrote the book on that, but these goons have taken it to a new extreme. Give someone a walkie-talkie and they become the gestapo sometimes. I watched a security guard on a golfcart jump all over a member of the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, telling him he couldn't be standing where he was standing. A Marine, for Christ's sake.

I'm sure Dan A. Will get a HUGE HUGE EARFUL and I mean a ton of people wanting to know what the hell in how that stadium is run. Kinda sucks that Finals comes here out West for the first time..and possibly distances any hope for it to come back here again after all this ####. The lines WERE A JOKE...a lot of very ###### off people in line i tell ya. I can't help but believe they got feedback from the ticket goers in 04 for TOC. I also can't help but wonder if they couldv'e tried harder or even bothered considering having it Jack Murphy (Qualcomm) Stadium. <**> <**> <**> <**>

Edited by Zeke

This is the BEST venue for watching drum corps in the United States, bar none!!!

Qwest Field

It was a perfect day today. 73 degrees with a few big puffy white clouds floating by.

They can even move the field 10 yards closer to the stands. The parking situation is great.

Seattle is the very best place on earth to be in August.

Seattle IS the BEST place to hold DCI.

Edited by tick ticky tick

My verdict: not as bad as Jackson or Orlando. But not as good as Madison, Denver or Buffalo. I really think that older stadiums are a poor match with DCI championships. Leave aside the uncomfortable seats and bad acoustics for a moment; when the specators can't physically leave the stands, go to the john and return in a 20 minute break without missing a show, due to the endless lines in the tunnels, the venue has basically failed.

I think they'd have done better to look at San Diego, Tempe or Seattle, all of which have much better facilities for their NFL teams.

cough cough Stanford cough cough

cough cough Stanford cough cough

The renovated Stanford Stadium simply is not large enough for DCI Finals. I believe there are only 20,000 seats (maybe less) on the concert side. That is not enough seats, particularly if the rumor of a crowd near 40,000 in the Rose Bowl is true.

Does anyone actually have attendance figures? I am curious, I was there Friday night and the place looked packed, but I don't even know how many Rose Bowl seats on concert side.

Prior to the performance, Dan Potter said something about it being the most attended finals since 1990, so whatever the record was in 90, you could put the estimate around. From my vantage point, I'd estimate a little over 30,000, maybe 32K. I may entirely wrong though. It's harder to tell in the Rose Bowl, being that there's no upper deck.

Prior to the performance, Dan Potter said something about it being the most attended finals since 1990, so whatever the record was in 90, you could put the estimate around. From my vantage point, I'd estimate a little over 30,000, maybe 32K. I may entirely wrong though. It's harder to tell in the Rose Bowl, being that there's no upper deck.

I'd venture the guess from the field looking up appeared to be a SOLID 1/3 filled. Capacity in the low 90k's so that puts attendance at approx 31-32k EASY....including corps members who got in for free. Couldn't venture a paid attendance figure. It was an impressive site. I also can't tell you the number of ###### off people but if you understand the situation, most of the hassle came from the PASADENA or ROSE BOWL side of things.......not DCI. The Rose Bowl staff handled it like a regular sports event and, in reality, it wasn't. Drum Corps is different in what the people are there to see, where they want to go, how early they want to come, who they want to see in the parking lot, and how the show runs (5 minutes between corps and then shut out until the NEXT corps finishes made it awfully tough to pee)

I was in Foxboro in 95 and I'll take all this over the "lightning" delay and god-awful humidity. Semi's night was beautiful and finals was a little hot until the sun went down.

Even getting out of the stadium wasn't all that bad.

All in all, a B...maybe B+

Oh yeah, I forgot about the buzzing lights. That was worse than anything else. I'm going to have buzzing on my DVDs and CDs!!!!!!

From a venue and logistics standpoint this was by far the worst finals week I have attended.

The lights were so #### loud...Division II / III corps were bussed to the Rose Bowl from PCC after performing to get Jolesch Photos, and the staff were NOT allowed inside the Rose Bowl to be photographed with their section...There is nothing to do within walking distance of the Rose Bowl - so crappy beer (Bud Light) at ridiculous prices was the only way to go ($6 each for less than a pint).

There were so many things wrong with having Finals at the Rose Bowl, and with the planning of the entire week...Do it better next year DCI <**>

Here we go...just back from the West Coast.

Rose Bowl.

Loved the history and tradition.

Loved the setting and landscape.

No big parking issues until finals night. I have seen worse.

The lines getting into the stadium finals night were ridiculous! I have been to many finals since 79 and have not experienced anything like that. 88 or 89 KC may have had a hassle one night? Maybe open up another gate or 12 - SOONER? I was hot over that mess.

You can find rude stadium folks anywhere, (just like rude fans) but my problem was with folks who could not do their job. From concessions to ushers to security. How do they handle 90K for football?

Field was bad. Lines were bad.

Lights were really loud.

Stadium is old and dirty. Did anyone else find their feet or shoes to be filthy after the shows?

The real concern was the exit situation. Had there been a fire or emergency...

LA was great. Really didn't mind the traffic.

LAX this morning was awful! The worst airport post DCI mess I have ever seen.

When do tickets go on sale for the dome debacle of 2008? We'll probably go there too. Can't help myself.

Mike