Kingsmen Alumni/Reunion Corps performance

I think the loudest ovation of the night came after they announced the average age of the Kingsmen Alumni is 49. The place went crazy...I thought that was pretty funny.

Neat to watch, enjoyable, but I still think nothing will top the 1994 27th Lancers reunion at finals.

Well done, Kingsmen! :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most fun I had all night!

Memorable quotes from DCP viewers:

"Look kids...real drum corps!"

"My ears are bleeding!"

I bopped to the whole show, could hardly take my eyes off any of it, and was left wanting more. THIS is what drum corps is to me!

"Look kids...real drum corps!"

:unsure::blink::blink: We Have a Winner!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Speaking of mambo who was that baritone soloist sounded like somebody I use to know

Leo,

The baritone soloist was Carl Allison, who marched with the Freelancers from 1977-1983. You might remember him as the very dynamic drum major who also doubled as their baritone soloist in '82 & '83 on Malaga.

On a personal note, my wife (who played French Horn last night) and I would like to thank all the age outs from the various corps. I will never forget the group from The Cadets and BD (who sat near one another on the Side 2 goal line) spontaneously standing up, turning around and waving their arms to the crowd behind them ("stand up for the old guys!!"). During the push in Firebird the crowd was so loud all I could hear was myself and the sop next to me blowing near my left ear. And, the sight of the PR age outs going bonkers just made me play that much louder.

ALSO: Thanks to all who yelled "MAMBO!"; it was LOUD from where I stood (Side 2, 20 yard line, just up from the sideline).

Trivia Fact: 6 of our 10 lead baritones all absolutely nailed double G's on the last note of the "El Cid Fanfare" (the tight box formation right before we played backfield in the color presentation) -- that was fun! b**bs

Erron, I didn't hook up with you up during our BD/SCV alumni gig at Stanford but rest assured it was represented...I wore my SCV/BD alumni pin on my right shoulder tab! :unsure:

From reading this board I thought only ENMITY existed between those of us who marched in the 70’s and the kids of today. But last night I saw the Phantom and Blue Devil kids go nuts for us and it was very moving. I realized even though our styles are different we can still have mutual respect and admiration for each other. After all, no matter what decade we marched what we do have in common is a love for the activity. I hope we can all focus on THAT instead of our differences.

Thank you DCI for letting me (us) be 17 again for one night. It is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life.

That being said, I have to go back to bed now because I’m tired as hell from practicing from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. for the last week.

Your Friend,

Grandpa

My drum corps collection doesn't go back to the beginning of the Kingsmen's history .... but a few things stuck out to me.

1) What great arrangements!!!

I can only imagine that most of those arrangements were NOTE FOR NOTE with the original performances. The unique voicing used for tonal color generated TONS of effect. I love love loved it. It was full of MEAT and they went for it in a big way. Tons of twists and turns that made it their own. It just makes me wish even more that todays corps would get away from segmented choppy arrangements and use their Masterfully Creative Minds to explore the possibilities of staying true to a work of music while twisting things to make it original (just as the Kingsmen did).

2) Those are some Bad### Grandma's in the color guard!!!

In comparison, there wasn't a ton of flag work like we saw with Scouts reunion last year(and definitely no dancing), BUT .... that wasn't the style back when Kingsmen were competing at the top of their game. I highly respect the display that was put on by the guard and loved the precision and SNAPS (at the ends of each move) that the weapons displayed. Absolute control 100% of the time. Excellent color present!! If you didn't see the video last night .. you missed out on and extreme display of flag etiquette and show of patriotism in military fashion. WELL DONE!

3) HELLO DRUMLINE!!!!!!!

Rudimental Drumming anyone? If the brass book was beef ... the battery book was BLACK ANGUS!!!!! Incredible combinations of rudiments and backsticking. Level of difficulty ... 11!!!! Very well performed and highly entertaining.

4) Average age 49? You betcha!!

As I understand it .. this corps was comprised ENTIRELY of Kingsmen Alumni. No fillers ... No hired guns ... straight up ALUMN'S!!

5) The Blue Machine both then and now, lives by their coat of arms: Spectemur Agendo

In my assessment ... Spectemur Agendo = Perfection!! Well Done Kingsmen!!!!

4) Average age 49? You betcha!!

As I understand it .. this corps was comprised ENTIRELY of Kingsmen Alumni. No fillers ... No hired guns ... straight up ALUMN'S!!

Nope...

We had marching guests.

While that included some young people (I am one of them) it also included some who were much older.

For Example...Willie Polacheck was playing the bass drum at 61 years old.

I do know that the snares WERE all alumni.

Regardless though of where some of us marched...it was...undisputidely...kingsmen.

Kingsmen are probably lined up outside the stadium... listening to the fantastic performances tonight on the field... and freaking out a little right now. ^OO^

Actually, no! Sweating, yes, it was a sauna in there.

RM-12

ampssuck

WHY?

I don't take that comment as dismissing Kingsmen or any other alumni corps performance. What I think the poster meant -- and I hope I'm interpreting this correctly -- is that the impact on the greatest number of people was probably made by that 27th Lancers alumni performance in 1994, mainly because it was part of the actual finals telecast. (I can't recall an alumni performance since then that has been featured so prominently.) So not only were the fans in the stands treated to an extraordinary performance, but we at home got to see part of it, too. I remember tearing up at the sight (and sound) of it.