Division 1 applications

Anyone who has marched or even followed Division 2 and 3 for the last couple of seasons knows that the quality is there, but you have got to say that division 1 shows are going to be seen more than a division 2 or 3. So if Corps A performs their show: A tribute to drum corps, and makes it to drum corps international division 2 & 3 championships their show is seen. That show doestn't change if they are division one, but will probably be seen by more people.

Yeah...this I agree with and HATE!

And now that the finals venues arent even in the stadium (or city)...there's even less exposure.

One of the most incredible hornlines/brass book I ever heard came out of a Div II corps in the mid 90s (Nite Express 1996)....it was probabl tougher then what a lot of Division 1 corps were playing that year...but...I wonder how many people think about it when they think of top 96 brass performances/ :angry::ph34r::doh:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High School marching bands are a better training ground for Div. I than marching in a II/III corps. it's 4:1.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. First of all, consider The Academy who were the Division II champions in 06 and then Division I 13th place in 07...making a strong contention for finals......THEN compare them to corps like The Spartans who are easily comparable.....

Now...consider this question in light of what I just said. Are the top 5 high school marching bands at BOA better than the lower placing DCI Division I finalists (keep Academy and Spartans in mind before you answer)? I would say no. I've been to both places several times and know that there is a clear difference. NOW, could one say that the top 5 bands at BOA Grand Nationals might be comparable to the 15-17 pacing corps in Division I? Yes! have no doubt.

In light of that, I would conclude that DCI Division II/III finals as a whole is on about a level playing field with BOA GN finals...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF the top 2 or 3 Division II/III corps who might even be a little better than the top 2 or 3 high school bands and BOA Nationals. That being said, I think EITHER arena....DCI Division II/III...OR a good high school band program could be an equilly good place to prepare for the hope of making a Division I corps.

Edited by dsb2007

I knew and know quite a few kids in Drum Corps who never marched band at all.

That is all well and good, but the totality of the drum corps membership paints a far different picture in the annual survey they take of the members.

Who is "they"? And what are the stats? Thanks. :)

Who is "they"? And what are the stats? Thanks. :)

I think that mike d might have been refering to this article on dci's website...

Showcasing the best of the best:

* Each year, more than 8,000 students audition for the fewer than 3,500 positions available in top-tier DCI member corps

* More than 5,000 members directly participate annually

* 66 percent are male

* Average age is 19.4

* 72 percent are full-time college students

* 59.6 percent of the current college students are pursuing music education degrees, while 65 percent of those that indicated they are high school students intend to major in music education

It must have been misraed... the link is here... http://www.dci.org/about/

Edited by dudes

• 1 month later...
Guest Myusik4Jakassez
What corps are trying to make the jump from II/III to div 1?

It's my understanding that Teal is trying but can anyone else vouch for the rest of the corps. I'd love to see corps like Teal Sound, Raiders, Impulse (and I think we all can't wait for Velvet Knights) to make the jump. Maybe not all next year. (can a division III qualify?)

So if anyone can clarify any corps intentions, it would be appreciated.

I've heard some talk about Raiders one day going division 1, but I don't think anyone's going to make plans to do that for some time.

Yeah...this I agree with and HATE!

And now that the finals venues arent even in the stadium (or city)...there's even less exposure.

One of the most incredible hornlines/brass book I ever heard came out of a Div II corps in the mid 90s (Nite Express 1996)....it was probabl tougher then what a lot of Division 1 corps were playing that year...but...I wonder how many people think about it when they think of top 96 brass performances/ :lol::whistle::lol:

Nite Express thought they were all that and a bag of chips that season. I taught a corps that season that competed against them. I rode the staff bus with them to quarterfinals. They were convinced that they were going to make top 12 finals after placing 3rd in Division II. When they went up against the Div 1 corps in quarter finals they placed 22nd.