2008 show ideas

I’m thinking the Blue Knight should do a reggae show, a dark reggae show built around the Marley epic Exodus. You could do so much with that song and it could easily be 2/3 of their show. Don’t know if you’d want to keep it Marley or explore other reggae artists - but you could do the opener of Johnny Was but work it more from the Stiff little Fingers version, another dark reggae tune you could call it a Marley show. Why the Blue Knights you ask? Well, a slight modification to their marching style and they could skank the entire show. We need a skanking, reggae show in DCI and their flag philosophy would be great for this too.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets - Lincoln Prtrait by Aaron Copland

That way they can include naration without ticking off some people. It is the perfect combination of music and naration in my opinion.

Cavies - Illinois, Music inspired by Come on Feel the Illinois by Sufjan Stevens

If you are not familiar with this CD I can't recomend in enough. Full of complicated rhythems and catchy meolodies. The music already featueres a lot of brass and great drum work could easily be crafted. Will also searve to remind DCI of the great state they just left.

Phantom - Requiem, Back in Black

Put them in the all black uniforms and do a sort of greatest hits of Requium masses from all the greats.

Academy - Rodeo by Aaron Copland

A great nod to our Western heritage and great music. Yes there could even be a special moment where all the crowd gets to yell Beef!

Colts - Broadway

Not sure what specifically but if you look back you will notice that some of thier best years come from playing show tunes. Maybe a show featuring the music of Wicked without going overboard on the characters with the guard.

Blue Knights - Violin Concerto by Arnold Schoenberg

Here is a corps that never shys away from the tough music. When played well it is a thing of beauty.

More to come later...

Cavies - Illinois, Music inspired by Come on Feel the Illinois by Sufjan Stevens

If you are not familiar with this CD I can't recomend in enough. Full of complicated rhythems and catchy meolodies. The music already featueres a lot of brass and great drum work could easily be crafted. Will also searve to remind DCI of the great state they just left.

WINNER!

Just saw the ORIGINAL 'Ocean's Eleven' (1960's version with the Rat Pack - Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr. and friends). For those who've not seen it, it's somewhat of a Comedy/Musical rather than an Action flick. Filmed in the Rat Pack's prime in on location in Las Vegas, the music KICKS - very classy, brassy 60's jazz style. The whole time I watched it, I couldn't help but think MADISON SCOUTS. The look: Put the corps back in the great Mid-80's "Eishenhower tie" uniforms, and dress the guard in classic early 60's attire to essentially look like the Rat Pack, changing from slim-cut suits to sweaters, button-downs, slacks and loafers during the course of the show.

E-O-Eleven, E-O-Eleven . . .

Pacific Crest:

Taking Flight: The Soundtrack from The Rocketeer by James Horner

(and PLEASE go back to the white pants!)

Boston Crusaders:

Indiana Jones and the Boston Crusade: The Music of John Williams

Indy IV will be out next year ... A great opportunity to do the music and capitalize on the hype.

The Cadets:

No More War 2008: The Music of James Horner, John Williams and Clint Eastwood

There was never a better time for the Cadets to re-embrace their anti-war show from the '70s that was so controversial. It was a remarkable show not only for its anti-war sentiments (and huge peace sign on the field) in the time when American Legion and VFW ruled the drum, but because of what they called the "total show concept" ... A themed program that was unique at a time when corps would just come out and play a variety of unrelated tunes.

This show would use music from "Saving Private Ryan", "Glory", "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima".

More later ...

Edited by DCIHasBeen

So, I'm thinking that now that this narration thing is catching on... why not kill two birds with one stone?

Turn EVERY night into Bingo night.

Sell cards before the show... call out the numbers during the show. You could play 'The Farmer in the Dell' or 'Chopsticks'... people are going to sit themselves down, pay attention, and I guarantee NO ONE will be talking during your show (those old ladies that are hard of hearing can be mighty mean).

... and... on top of it all... you clear a few extra grand a night on top of show fees.

(Note to VK: I am actually serious)

Edited by danielray

So, I'm thinking that now that this narration thing is catching on... why not kill two birds with one stone?

Turn EVERY night into Bingo night.

Sell cards before the show... call out the numbers during the show. You could play 'The Farmer in the Dell' or 'Chopsticks'... people are going to sit themselves down, pay attention, and I guarantee NO ONE will be talking during your show (those old ladies that are hard of hearing can be mighty mean).

... and... on top of it all... you clear a few extra grand a night on top of show fees.

(Note to VK: I am actually serious)

WIN!

The Sufjan Stevens thing would actually work. I just can't picture the Cavies doing it. Pop music didn't work this year...