2008 show ideas

So, I'm thinking that now that this narration thing is catching on... why not kill two birds with one stone?

Turn EVERY night into Bingo night.

Sell cards before the show... call out the numbers during the show. You could play 'The Farmer in the Dell' or 'Chopsticks'... people are going to sit themselves down, pay attention, and I guarantee NO ONE will be talking during your show (those old ladies that are hard of hearing can be mighty mean).

... and... on top of it all... you clear a few extra grand a night on top of show fees.

(Note to VK: I am actually serious)

I don't know. As one who had done some work in a few Bingo hall, unless you're calling numbers the players will hurt you if you're not quiet. :blink:

In the 11 minutes of a show you would be able to get a one-line bingo, maybe two line.

But I can see the title of the first show: 1st Jackpot, Coverall

(that gives me a great idea for a DCPi fantasy corps show!! :o)

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was never a better time for the Cadets to re-embrace their anti-war show from the '70s that was so controversial. It was a remarkable show not only for its anti-war sentiments (and huge peace sign on the field) in the time when American Legion and VFW ruled the drum, but because of what they called the "total show concept" ... A themed program that was unique at a time when corps would just come out and play a variety of unrelated tunes.

thamks...I marched that show, on baritone. A great show...it was 1972, actyually the 3rd year of the Peace Sign form.

Academy- Under Construction (but i dont know for the music, the theme sounds cool)

This sounds like a band show... wait A band is playing it in wisconsin... they plan on building buildings too.

Actually, if people are going to get serious about making cash with this whole drum corps thing...

Go Nuts... and actually make a show into an 11 minute commercial. I am not joking.

This isn't selling out... this is being smart.

Most people think marketing is some lame cheesy thing (edit: I did kinda like 'Cheesy Think' better. If I ever have a Sex Pistols cover band, no question, I'll call it 'Cheesy Think') that cares only about some logos like Nascar (hint: Nascar is for a redneck audience, so unsophisticated, that is about all they can understand). A more sophisticated audience requires a sophisticated approach... one that absolutely mesmerizes... one that connects a feeling of awe or inspiration with a brand.

How about a Coke commercial? They are one of the most innovate and creative companies out there.

Check this out:

http://www.coca-cola.com/template1/index.j.../downloads.html

Watch Happiness Factory, watch this stuff... I am not even close to kidding.

Imagine if a corps could do something this creative, this entertaining and get PAID every single time they performed it?

Edited by danielray

The Cadets:

No More War 2008: The Music of James Horner, John Williams and Clint Eastwood

There was never a better time for the Cadets to re-embrace their anti-war show from the '70s that was so controversial. It was a remarkable show not only for its anti-war sentiments (and huge peace sign on the field) in the time when American Legion and VFW ruled the drum, but because of what they called the "total show concept" ... A themed program that was unique at a time when corps would just come out and play a variety of unrelated tunes.

This show would use music from "Saving Private Ryan", "Glory", "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima".

More later ...

What about Michael Kamen? "Band of Brothers" had a GREAT soundtrack, and The Cadets could definitely do some great stuff with that music. But, still, I think this is my favorite show idea so far, and I would love to see The Cadets do this. Great idea!

Edited by Mellofone07

Academy - Rodeo by Aaron Copland

A great nod to our Western heritage and great music. Yes there could even be a special moment where all the crowd gets to yell Beef!

As a resident of Arizona since 1972 (with a brief 2-year excursion to Sacramento), I will fight against Academy wester themes tooth and nail. I only recently convinced my family back east that we don't ride wagon trains to work. :P

I'm still in favor of a Cuban/Caribbean-tinged show from our corps! How about Cuba of the 50s? Maybe selections from Buena Vista Social Club, some songo, some rumba, some older Afro-Cuban stuff.

Cadets - Lincoln Prtrait by Aaron Copland

That way they can include naration without ticking off some people. It is the perfect combination of music and naration in my opinion.

Cavies - Illinois, Music inspired by Come on Feel the Illinois by Sufjan Stevens

If you are not familiar with this CD I can't recomend in enough. Full of complicated rhythems and catchy meolodies. The music already featueres a lot of brass and great drum work could easily be crafted. Will also searve to remind DCI of the great state they just left.

Phantom - Requiem, Back in Black

Put them in the all black uniforms and do a sort of greatest hits of Requium masses from all the greats.

Academy - Rodeo by Aaron Copland

A great nod to our Western heritage and great music. Yes there could even be a special moment where all the crowd gets to yell Beef!

Colts - Broadway

Not sure what specifically but if you look back you will notice that some of thier best years come from playing show tunes. Maybe a show featuring the music of Wicked without going overboard on the characters with the guard.

Blue Knights - Violin Concerto by Arnold Schoenberg

Here is a corps that never shys away from the tough music. When played well it is a thing of beauty.

More to come later...

There was an indoor percussion group that performed the music of Sufjan Stevens and Sigur Ros this past year. Oh, you may have heard of them... Center Grove. :-P

I'm sure that performance isn't hard to find.

Phantom Regiment: "Organic Phantom"

based on some major works from the vast pipe organ literature:

Sonata on the 94th Psalm (Julius Reubke)

The Three Temperaments (Stephen Paulus)

C-minor Passacaglia (Bach)

...too many options to mention!

in addition

Barber - Toccata Festiva

Saint-Saens - Symphony No. 3 in C minor "Organ"

this is not a bad idea considering how much their tuning exericises work towards their sounding like an organ.