2008 show ideas

Phantom Regiment....Janacek's Sinfonietta....and that's an order! :P

Yes. Please. (and if they don't want it, let the Troopers have it!)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Many others here know the history better than I, but I do recall reading they had a trophy at a show taken away. Was it an American Legion show? I can't remember ...

I do remember Bobby Hoffman used to tell a story about having convince some VFW or Legion judges that it was a Mercedes-Benz logo to avoid getting into trouble.

During that era, I don't think it could be considered anything else. Many others here know the history better than I, but I do recall reading they had a trophy at a show taken away. Was it an American Legion show? I can't remember. The peace sign was the passive-aggressive way to get a reaction from the establishment back then. It was definitely preaching, and those who invoked that image took no small joy in the irony of promoting peace causing conniption fits in those who took offense.

OK, I'll buy that argument. But what about the activity NOW, when spoken (amplified) voice is permitted and is most certainly used by the corps in question? I don't believe there would be any symbolism involved, because I think now they'd just come out and SAY whatever it is they wanna say! And whatever it is they'd wanna say is sure to #### off at least part of the crowd, be it presented in a balanced manner or not.

Drum corps is an entertainment medium, yes? Presented by kids, yes? ("It's all about the kids....") Yes, I know "kids" fight and sacrifice and die in war, but why expose these amateur musicians to the potential ridicule in this arena by performing such a potentially controversial show? Everyone clamors/complains about booing.... what do you think a show like this would produce?

Maybe they should play it safe and base a show on the merits of the Catholic church. :blink: :P

Cheers!

All I'm saying is that it is a very sensitive subject which fosters very strong opinion, and to breach the subject with a "point-of-view" in the context of a drum corps performance is a risky venture.

The entire purpose (and obligation?) of art is to inspire thought, challenge concept, engage emotion or to point out flaws in the human condition.

If drum corps should not breach a subject with a "point-of-view", as you put it, every single group out there might as well be doing pantomime re-enactments of episodes of Small Wonder.

Avoid taking a position on an issue...? Sabrina the Teen-age Witch had more balls, generated more genuine controversy and touched on more serious human issues than drum corps ever has (man, it even feels kinda creepy actually writing that).

If drum corps should not breach a subject with a "point-of-view", as you put it, every single group out there might as well be doing pantomime re-enactments of episodes of Small Wonder.

I never said that. I said they best tread VERY cautiously in the manner in which they breach the subject.

The VERY first thing I said when this came up a couple of pages ago was "Not a bad idea".

During that era, I don't think it could be considered anything else. Many others here know the history better than I, but I do recall reading they had a trophy at a show taken away. Was it an American Legion show? I can't remember. The peace sign was the passive-aggressive way to get a reaction from the establishment back then. It was definitely preaching, and those who invoked that image took no small joy in the irony of promoting peace causing conniption fits in those who took offense.

The first year we did the Peace Sign was 1970....to "White Rabbit". The head VFW guy, Tony "Hic" Schlechta, publically stated that we did not belong at VFW Nats in Miami. The rank and file VFW member did not seem to agree....I never saw so many flashes going off as we turned to hit the stands in the Peace Sign form.

The design team, for 1971....Bobby Hoffman, Pete Emmons, DCP's own Ironlips, George Tuthill on drums, decided that if they wanted patriotism they would get it...in spades...so they programmed the Revolutionary War show...complete with libretto we handed out to the crowd at shows (10 years prior to Regiment doing the same). We did the Peace Sign as our color pre to "Batle Hymn"...kind of hard to complain about the Peace Sign when it's being used to present the colors... :P

The "No More War" show was 1972....the Peace Sign that year was set up to "A Mighty Fortress is our God" and moved to the stands to a theme from Mahler's 5th. At shows we handed out a placement sized poster with three photos on it....

1) Two small children, a boy and girl, playing.

2) The two grown up, holding hands, as obviously a couple (in uniform)...as the guy is leaving to go to war.

3) The third photo was the girl standing next to a closed casket, still in uni, looking sadly down at the remains of her partner, who had his shako and gloves laid out on the casket.

I never said that. I said they best tread VERY cautiously in the manner in which they breach the subject.

The VERY first thing I said when this came up a couple of pages ago was "Not a bad idea".

Why tread cautiously?

Should Picasso have tread more lightly on the topic of war when painting Guernica?

Maybe the Hiroshima Panels should have been a bit more careful? Maybe a little less red?

War in any form, for any purpose is an archaic, brutal and disgusting form of power display and should be responded to accordingly. To feels that war is justified, moral or even noble is simply an admission of deceit by someone with nothing to lose, one way or another.

To feel compelled to wrap discourse on the topic in shiny patriotism is to either fear challenge to a poorly supported view, or to be entirely duped.

Modern war involving developed nations is about geo-strategic influence, not preservation of freedom or ideals.

Edited by danielray

OK, my mello-playing friend has just suggested a show that I think is downright inspired:

Queen: A Night at the Opera

1. Death on Two Legs

2. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

3. Seaside Rendezvous

4. The Prophet's Song

5. Love of My Life

6. Bohemian Rhapsody

Crown: Horoscope -- Music from the ballet by Constance Lambert and really any other sun/moon music they wanted to use. Already comes complete with a storyline that is easily adapted to the field.

Troopers: Go West Young Man! (story of a migration from east to west with Shenandoah serving as the centerpiece and true focal point of the show) (Music to include "Appalachian Morning", "Shenandoah", "Rocky Point Holiday" & maybe Happy Ending from "Red Pony") I have always thought that the Sunburst from the '85 show to Red Pony was the best version that I've ever seen, so why not bring it back in an anniversary year?

SCV: Music from the "Death of Klinghoffer" (Chorus of Exiled Palestinians; Chorus of Exiled Jews; Night Chorus; Klinghoffer's Death/Aria of the Falling Body (Gymnopedie); and "You Embraced Them!" as the heart-wrentching closer). If any corps could pull it off, I think it's Vanguard.

Blue Knights: Mix it up and go with a new version of Leonard Bernstein's Mass that includes their corps song ("I Go On") and a crazy sequence when the mass falls apart and turns into a cacaphonous visual/musical improv that the Drum Major (as the celebrant) must bring back under control. I think it could be very interesting to see something like this and BK doesn't seem to be too afraid of trying a new and different approach to the activity.

Mandarins: Nixon in China -- Music from the cultural revolution ballet sequence in Act II. That woud be fun -- the only problem is that the red might clash with their new uniforms.