2008 show ideas

The Cadets:

No More War 2008: The Music of James Horner, John Williams and Clint Eastwood

There was never a better time for the Cadets to re-embrace their anti-war show from the '70s that was so controversial. It was a remarkable show not only for its anti-war sentiments (and huge peace sign on the field) in the time when American Legion and VFW ruled the drum, but because of what they called the "total show concept" ... A themed program that was unique at a time when corps would just come out and play a variety of unrelated tunes.

This show would use music from "Saving Private Ryan", "Glory", "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima".

More later ...

Not a bad idea, but they'd better not "preach" during this show, if you know what I mean. Talk about a potential fan revolt from a significant element of the audience!

If they wanna "talk" about it, they'd be very wise to stay away from topics like politics, religion, etc.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad idea, but they'd better not "preach" during this show, if you know what I mean. Talk about a potential fan revolt from a significant element of the audience!

If they wanna "talk" about it, they'd be very wise to stay away from topics like politics, religion, etc.

Not much to preach about ... War sucks. Nobody wins. Everyone loses. End-of-Story. The two Eastwood films provided a pretty balanced view of that without taking sides. I'm talking about War as a concept in general ... Not commenting on a particular ideology.

But that is basically an orchestral work. The organ part is little more than C-major chords! (Effective as hell, but still not much of a work for organ).

I'm talking ORGAN works. :blink:

egh. i was reading the nashville symphony's gala opening page whilst on dcp. i copied and pasted. i do like the barber piece tho. (there's a nice recording on said symphony's website).

there's another one by C.P.E. Bach but can't remember it's name/number that i really enjoy.

Not much to preach about ... War sucks. Nobody wins. Everyone loses. End-of-Story. The two Eastwood films provided a pretty balanced view of that without taking sides.

I'm talking about War as a concept in general ... Not commenting on a particular ideology.

No offense, but "Nobody wins. Everyone loses. End-of-Story." sounds like a particular ideology.

All I'm saying is that it is a very sensitive subject which fosters very strong opinion, and to breach the subject with a "point-of-view" in the context of a drum corps performance is a risky venture.

No offense, but "Nobody wins. Everyone loses. End-of-Story." sounds like a particular ideology.

All I'm saying is that it is a very sensitive subject which fosters very strong opinion, and to breach the subject with a "point-of-view" in the context of a drum corps performance is a risky venture.

You mean like when the Cadets marched a peace sign during the Vietnam War? ;)

I wouldn't call that "preaching", which was the point of my original comment. But of course, that's a point of view as well, isn't it? What a tangled web....

During that era, I don't think it could be considered anything else. Many others here know the history better than I, but I do recall reading they had a trophy at a show taken away. Was it an American Legion show? I can't remember. The peace sign was the passive-aggressive way to get a reaction from the establishment back then. It was definitely preaching, and those who invoked that image took no small joy in the irony of promoting peace causing conniption fits in those who took offense.

This anti-war generation lacks symbolism. Because of it I think it would be difficult to put on an effective anti-war show short of whipping out a Rage Against the Machine chart or something along those lines. Bloody dancers in body bags, anyone? How would you score that one?

The more I think about the more I think a Vietnam-era show might be more provocative and interesting today than a more subtle allusion to the same sentiment. Bring back the peace symbol formation!

you mean like they did with the pledge in 2002?

Truth be told, even though they moved down south a bit, I'd be pretty into Cadets cutting the stuffy stuff and doing something really Jersey.

Route 17: Warrant for Mr. Big's Poisonous GreatWhiteLionSnake

No shakos, no plumes, just hair...

The guard finally understanding the visual genius of 6-inch maroon-and-gold-sparkle acrylic nails...

Brilliant innovators, discarding uniforms for whatever might be on sale at the Chess King at the Paramus Mall...

God help drum corps if I ever (get people drunk enough to allow me to) get back in.