Coolest Drill Move of 2007

Troopers Sunburst b**bs

Yep! ^OO^

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Phantom's opening number where they played, moved to the backfield while still playing, then front again, then backfield again, etc. The reason I thought it was a cool innovative move was because it gave off a unique brass sound.... loud, then soft, then loud again, with a high to low sound in the brass all the while.

I pointed out how unique this sounded in my Sioux Falls review and wondered what they were doing besides the turn to the backfield. FWIW, after repeated viewings of the show I've concluded that changing to a lower pitch while doing the turn accentuated the effect.

In response to being amazed by Phantom running and "FFF"

You need more air when you run - so you breathe more.

To play louder you use more air.

Thus - Playing loudly while running = easy. At least easier than playing softly. It just doesn't impress me to be honest.

My fav. drill move - The Cavaliers split wedge where the drumline comes around from behind and pushes the guard out.

It's pretty obvious trhat you never had to rehearse that section-- I'm pretty sure your opinion would change drastically.

3 stand out to me:

1. Cadets blind-hit company front where the front and middle of the z-shape backs into the front at blazing speeds and then the front pushes diagonally forward. Just amazing and no corps did anything even close to something this scary.

2. SCV's closing drill after the bit hit where they go into the exclamation point. Amazing writing and creativity.

3. Bluecoats silent drill end zone routine. With music this was a huge hit for all audiences.

JW

The Tuba dance from SCV! I loved it. Its in the second movement I believe.

Not baggin' on Regiment at all (probably my favorite show this year), but the Blue Stars mellos were playing continuous 16th note runs at close to 200 bpm in their Firebird closer, and moving fast too, and have not gotten much recognition for it. Insane book.