West Coast "Fans"

I'm confused if you mean the booing occurred on semi's or finals. If it was finals, I sure did not hear it. We got 12th so we were in the endzone so that may have contributed to us not hearing it, but I really didn't ever hear any booing for you guys ever. If it was semis, I wasn't there for that.

As for other corps, you're right. It is going to happen again and that just sucks!

Semis. I don't remember any booing during finals.

Yeah, I don't quite get it either. Scores were announced after each corps at semis much like they are now. At finals Star dropped to third. There was no Cavaliers victory to celebrate until the Cadets placement had been announced.

I was referring to semis, where we had placed 2nd. The Cavaliers score was already known to the crowd (97.1) prior to our score "officially" being announced. Everyone knew they had placed 1st, it was just an uncomfortable feeling when the victory cheers broke out.

Edited by dcsnare93

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Semis. I don't remember any booing during finals.

I was referring to semis, where we had placed 2nd. The Cavaliers score was already known to the crowd (97.1) prior to our score "officially" being announced. Everyone knew they had placed 1st, it was just an uncomfortable feeling when the victory cheers broke out.

you guys were boo'd at semis and we were boo'd at finals after we won the high guard award.

Edited by BDguard92

you guys were boo'd at semis and we were boo'd at finals after we won the high guard award.

Err, I meant I didn't recall any booing directed towards us at finals (at least not audible heh). But, yes, I do remember BD being boo'd at finals...there was some talk about it while leaving. What a year.

Edited by dcsnare93

I have to say I was completely unimpressed.

Really? I happened to have been very positively impressed.

Here's a small list of why:

1. Entering and leaving DURING performances

That was the issue of the stadium security/ushers. And by not breaking fire code by leaving people in the tunnels. It worked itself out.

2. Talking on cell phones

I made the mistake of not putting my phone on vibrate and it rang between corps. Everyone around me helped me say hi to my sister. She cried cause she couldn't be there. Then I put it on vibrate.

3. Did not applaud or stand for many of the corps - good portion of crowd

That's funny because virtually everyone around me did. I had Madison Alumni to my left, Michigan fans behind me, a family from Conneticut to my right, Phantom parents and Blue Devil Alumni in front of me. Every one of us stood every time - with the exception of just about everyone of us being distracted at one time or another over the three days. I never witnessed people not standing up outside of this either. Actually sometimes we had to say sit down please!

4. Shouting rude things during corps

I heard some stuff (Thursday Cadets show). I do have a lifetimes worth of recordings with things shouted that I wished were never there. But other than that I think that your statement was very general. Comments or actual hollering?

5. Extreme bias toward "their" corps (funny - SCV & BD were always treated warmly on the East coast)

I agree. We were extremely biased towards: Madison, PR, BD, Crown (who wasn't?!), 'coats, Vanguard, Cadets (in a positive way) and just about every other corps that performed. We couldn't help but cheer 'cause every corps was so good (were we at the same finals?).

6. Over-drinking

Not where I was. I saw an occasional beer, but nothing excessive. Not hardly at all.

7. Very little applause during songs, after solos, between songs

Again, not where I was.

8. Late arrivers to stadium

Are you talking because of the lovely LA traffic and long lines to get into the stadium? Are you talking about people who are not at the stadium to sit in their seats from corps one? What about going down to roam around the souvie area? I did and I never returned to my seat while a corps was performing (but that's just me). And while I'm thinking about it, it was interesting to see corps jackets (east coast corps) standing at the top of stairs and seemingly permanently planted at the end of tunnels - blocking paying ticket holders from seeing the whole field. Again, it eventually worked itself out.

9. Where was all this "West Coast Class" I kept hearing about - geez

Class? I've been around drum corps since 1962 and I have seen classless people everywhere I went. I saw a lot of "class" from everyone around me. Even those horrible (sarcasm) West Coast BD Alumni people in front of me.

10. Half of the crowd didn't even applaud the Marines - I could not believe that. Folks sitting and talking during the ovation for our MARINES!!! Ugh.

I don't know. Either I was lucky or you weren't. Or you're a stick in the mud. That marked the third time that I saw them this year and every time I loved them. (Did they have fewer horns than at the beginning of the season?) I sure didn't notice. As a matter of fact, they were quite powerful for the retreat! 1! 2! 3! 4! United State Marine Corps! Oorah! (I'm glad that I work at MCAS Miramar - I get to hear that several times a week).

I could go on but you get the point.

Boo hiss! If finals go out west ever again I will not attend.

Well, that will be your loss.

Crowd was a huge negative IMO

Crowd was a huge positive IMHO.

For this they earn my WORST AUDIENCE EVER award. (and I've attended finals since 1982)

For this the people around me (and the whole stadium in general) earns a good drum corps audience.... evar award.

Btw, has anyone seen what has happened with LA traffic since everyone left? It's gotten downright Medieval out there! It's almost like LA was behaving itself and then all h e double hockey sticks broke loose! I sit down here in San Diego which has gotten brutal, too!

See you in Indy!

Dan

Edited by dsaeger

Lol. you must have been blind! People were wasted! It was a sickening sight. I personally think they should not serve alcohol at any DCI event. but hell, they were making $7 a beer, so I can see why they did it.

My vision did get a little blurry after my twelth beer.

I have to say I was completely unimpressed.

Here's a small list of why:

1. Entering and leaving DURING performances

2. Talking on cell phones

3. Did not applaud or stand for many of the corps - good portion of crowd

4. Shouting rude things during corps

5. Extreme bias toward "their" corps (funny - SCV & BD were always treated warmly on the East coast)

6. Over-drinking

7. Very little applause during songs, after solos, between songs

8. Late arrivers to stadium

9. Where was all this "West Coast Class" I kept hearing about - geez

10. Half of the crowd didn't even applaud the Marines - I could not believe that. Folks sitting and talking during the ovation for our MARINES!!! Ugh.

I could go on but you get the point.

Boo hiss! If finals go out west ever again I will not attend.

For this they earn my WORST AUDIENCE EVER award. (and I've attended finals since 1982)

George,

Number 5. ...East Coast, Rain, SCV , for 'saftey reasons' were taken off the field and were not only Booed but had 'stuff' thrown at them.

(I'm thinking it was a JW year)

Did you attend Stanford Show? Any thoughts on the Nor Cal Fans?

Or are you just including all of us as West Coast Fans from Denver...West, next to me were fans from South Carolina and Florida, guess they are West Coast Fans too?

Well... thanks for visiting anyway.

Edited by PhillyDCIMontreal

Gee, George, I thought those popcorn-eating midwestern yokels were the WORST DRUM CORPS FANS EVER last year, when they didn't like the Cadets. Now this year it's the BD/Santa Clara-loving west coast flakes that are WORST EVER for not liking the Cadets? So which is it? Where are the fans whom you deem acceptable? Do they terminate just east of Cleveland?