Most overrated and underrated shows of 2007

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And i am not in any way saying SCV didnt deserve the spot, i just think there was a little bias in there. And im not crying, so dont act all big and bad please, its not cool.

Under- Cadets and Crossmen. Especially Crossmen. Stop saying they didn't play because they did and not just loud but well. They marched more than 90% of the corps in the whole running. And if marching and playing well doesn't do it for ya they had the show design to top it off. Put any other group of performers into thier show AND thier situation from the corps that placed around them and they could not perform it. Well done bones. As for Cadets you guys had the show of the year and I will stand by it. I hate narration and think it is not right for drum corps (yes it is a strong opinion sorry to offend) but I LOVED the cadets show and believe it is one of the best cadets shows of the decade.

Over- Colts and Crown. Colts were clean (ish) and played well. I scratched my head the whole show wondering what exactly was going on. And where was the drill? And the lack of technique with the little demand they had was very evident. But I did like thier closer and found myself humming it throughout the season. As for Crown they needed to move ALOT more and half of thier show+some felt like a ballad. But they played very well particularly, of course, when they weren't moving.

To tag on some lesser opinions

Under- Phantom, Boston

Over- Academy, Madison, BK

All of this is my ever so humble opinion. :ph34r:

agreed.

underrated

-------------

Cadets

Blue Devils -if winning can be underrated.

Crossmen

Troopers

over

-----

Phantom

bluecoats

colts

bluestars

OVER OVERrated

--------------------

Academy

Glassmen

Over - Blue Devils. I liked the opening segment; however, I just couldn't get into what followed. I actually zoned out at two of the six shows I saw them perform at.

Under - Crown and Cavies. This wasn't your usual Cavie show, and I think that is what has disappointed a lot of people this year. I thought it was a good show, regardless. I particularly liked the arrangements.

It seems to me that the real question should be who was over HYPED and who was under HYPED.

To answer that question one must eliminate one's own personal opinion of each respective corps and look at what was said during the off season leading to the season (when the hype or lack thereof is plastered on this site) and comparing it to the actual placement.

After that is said and done then one must sit back and say--who really entertained me no matter the placement.

Over HYPED based on my recollection of reading all the entries prior to the season starting were:

Crossmen: Their move to Texas was an assurance of a top 12 finish,

Blue Stars: They had momentum after the 2006 season and were going to return to their glory days of the late 70's and early 80's.

Academy: Watch out for this up an coming corps from the southwest. They took Div II by storm in 2006, the top 12 in 2007 was the undoubtedly theirs.

Bluecoats: They are the new force to be reckoned with in 2007. TOP 3.

Under HYPED

Colts: (I recollect hearing crickets during the winter of the topic of their prospects of 2007--for those in Yorba Linda that means it never came up or that they were consistently predicted in a vast majority's preseason polls to finish 16th or lower.)

Mystery:

Madison--with the change over of the staff and management who knew where they would end up.

For the most entertaining corps (my personal opinion) of this past season were in order. (Based on wanting to see the DVD when it comes out or video for some . . .)

Bluecoats (limited narration does work)

Carolina Crown (giddyup!}

Pacific Crest (You bet ya!)

Colts

Phantom

For those whom I would have gotten a hot dog, but for the long lines

Cadets

SCV

Heavily over-rated - CAVALIERS. :doh: Visually - as always - very good, but the brass book (imo) was dull and weak. Other than the visual and the opening phrase, the show was not memorable for me. Had them down as 5th overall behind Phantom & Crown.

Under rated - PHANTOM. :ph34r: Loved this show and thought they deserved to take third. Best low brass of the season (with Bluecoats a very close second).

CROWN - under rated - their power in the brass line (that opening chord...WOW!). Visually they were really impressive - new uniforms worked a treat for me. Clever concept and use of the guard.

Heavily over-rated - CAVALIERS. :doh: Visually - as always - very good, but the brass book (imo) was dull and weak. Other than the visual and the opening phrase, the show was not memorable for me. Had them down as 5th overall behind Phantom & Crown.

Under rated - PHANTOM. :wacko: Loved this show and thought they deserved to take third. Best low brass of the season (with Bluecoats a very close second).

CROWN - under rated - their power in the brass line (that opening chord...WOW!). Visually they were really impressive - new uniforms worked a treat for me. Clever concept and use of the guard.

hate to tell you bud, but neither Crown nor Phantom were underrated at all. They got all the credit that could possibly be due from fans and judges.

now, for my picks.

Overrated - Phantom

Underrated - Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders

~>conner