If you could see any three shows

Having problems with the search option so off the top of my head.... (and srcorps for the scores)

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.650

2 Connecticut Hurricanes 83.533

3 Rochester Crusaders 80.450

4 Skyliners 80.316

5 Yankee Rebels 78.033

Sky upset with lower than usual drum scores so drum sticks went flying towards the judges table as the corps left retreat.

Hurrcs upset with (??) score and Jumip' Joe Genero became tossing Joe as the trophy he held went flying.

One of the reasons DCA was started was inconsistant scoring from AL judges. This night was used as an example of that.

Thanks to the posters who filled in some of the details. Also to one of my corps members who is ex-USAF Blue Eagles and was a spectator that night. He filled us in on a bus ride and probably the only time I asked a 70+ year old "Are you ###### me?". :doh:

AAAAAhh The good old days,,,,,

Remember the judges meetings??? … The screaming,,,, The yelling,,,, The throwing of cassette tapes and such???

I would have loved to see the 72 DCA Sky finals show. That’s a great recording!!! :laugh:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought of adding a Reilly/Archie rivarly show but didn't know of a particular show to pick. Right after I joined corps (and didn't know much about it) my dad and I were talking to one of his friends and go this quote. "Yeah, I remember going to a show and there were two corps from Philly who hated each other. They had to turn off the lights to keep 'em from fighting each other". Oh ####, I'm 16 and hearing this stuff......

Also want to be there the night Walt Kelly fired his gun in the judges room during the after show meeting. Walt wasn't feeling too good and it was the easiest way to get people to shut up. Think that story was posted by Tom P.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

OK, 40 years later they finally fixed the friggin' Time Tunnel (anyone else remember that piece o' crap show). Pick the year and place of three Senior shows you want to see and hope you don't end up on the Titanic of Jericho or..... (had to see the show to get that).

1) 1927 American Legion Chamionships. Want to here want Army surplus bugle and drums can do and see what the drills were like. Plus it was held in Paris, France... oui, oui mein sewer..

2) 1996 DCA Finals... My old corps actually won DCA that year and I didn't find out until I got the tapes in the mail. ####, #### and ###### ########!!!!! :doh:

3) 1966 American Legion Finals - Very controversial and help some corps to decide to cut loose from AL and join DCA. Plus I'll know some people on the field during Prelims....

this is an easy one.

1. Skyliners 1971 at the Dream. They blew the house down in one of the greatest performance imho ever.

2. Sunrisers 1983 at DCA just to watch that drum line one more time.

3. Finally ,and I'm prejudiced of course, Buccaneers 1981 at DCA's. I still consider that corp the best Senior Corp ever. :laugh:

OK, 40 years later they finally fixed the friggin' Time Tunnel (anyone else remember that piece o' crap show). Pick the year and place of three Senior shows you want to see and hope you don't end up on the Titanic of Jericho or..... (had to see the show to get that).

1969 AL Championships in Atlanta, GA: The Yankee Rebels bring down the house with "Requiem for an Era". Rochester Crusaders take the field next - and nobody notices!

1972 Exhibition in Racine, WI before AL Nats: Supposedly, THIS was the performance of performances for the corps in Chicago for ALs. Crowd went nuts for Cabs & Cru.

1980 DCA Championships in Hershey, PA: Only to see the Westshoremen's infamous "pigeon release", esp to see Sunrisers fuming as they waited for the "pigeon roundup" and the Chief Judge (Walt Kelly?) aiming his starting pistol at the birds.

Honorable Mention (because I can): June 1986 regular season show in Hershey, PA - to see Steel City Ambassadors break Hawthorne's 2-year winning streak. I heard about it all the next day at Irwin, PA, DCE show, and I wanted ever since to experience that.

Edited by Dale Bari

1963 Dream, so many great corps.

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.650

2 Connecticut Hurricanes 83.533

3 Rochester Crusaders 80.450

4 Skyliners 80.316

5 Yankee Rebels 78.033

Sky upset with lower than usual drum scores so drum sticks went flying towards the judges table as the corps left retreat.

Yeah, an 8 point spread between the two drum execution judges on the field. Were they listening to the same drum line???? After averaging the marks, there went the title! Thank you Doc Shranker. Yeah, the corps was a little upset. Mr Perriloux wasn't all that happy either.

Just offering some info.

Ray

Thanks Ray... Just couldn't remember exactly why Sky was upset about the drum score and you gave the reason.

And a #### good reason it was....

Glad I only had to deal with DCA, RCA and ICA judging during my time. :laugh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari