ESPN Broadcast Discussion Topic

I did laugh out loud when Delucia asked Hopkins why it was so controversial and his first response was, "I don't know, go ask those who feel it's controversial" :grouphug:

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did laugh out loud when Delucia asked Hopkins why it was so controversial and his first response was, "I don't know, go ask those who feel it's controversial" :grouphug:

So did I. Then my eyes rolled to back of my head and I said, "Hopkins, always the politician." The only thing he didn't do was put his toes together, puckered in his cheeks and give one of those "I don't know what you're talking about" looks.

So did I. Then my eyes rolled to back of my head and I said, "Hopkins, always the politician." The only thing he didn't do was put his toes together, puckered in his cheeks and give one of those "I don't know what you're talking about" looks.

What I found interesting is Hopkins talking about getting booed in 2006 and creating "I believe" in 2007 as a response to the 2006 booing. Doesn't sound like its about the kids at all. Sounds more like self-gratification/f...y.. to the fans. Seems to have backfired and turned into - if your booed us in 2006, you'll hate us more in 2007.

oh god.

hopkins is a ######.

im glad i didnt bother watching it.

Sounds more like self-gratification/f...y.. to the fans

hopkins?? no... come on.. its not like he would bow to the crowd when everyone boo's him.. no.. thatd NEVER happen!

Edited by cire

FYI....

DCI produced the program and purchased the air time on ESPN2 for the broadcast.

Yeah I know that

Still would have preferred whole shows, but that hasn't happened since 2000.

I will admit that they way it was cut you'd never know the shows were cut, and I'll give 'em props for that.

I also didn't like the fact that Mr. Hopkins was rambling on about how it's mostly old school people who don't like the "change" (narration). That is simply not true. At both shows we went to this summer, KIDS, the KIDS in the stands were making fun of the narration. They were also saying that there was nothing innovative about it since it had been done by mb's for years. So try again on blaming "old schoolers" for that one. :grouphug:

This is no indication of dislike. Teenagers on the whole make fun of a lot of things. It is just their nature.

delucia is a joke. sorry.

Ditto on this one. Some of his comments, both musical and general in nature really caused me to question him.

IMO, there is no way Cavies beat Crown in guard. . .several timing issues with Cavies guard, especially in that last rifle sequence.

I think there is a reason why we saw the cuts of the top corps we saw. . .I will leave it at that.

Crown should have been ahead of SCV.

Would have liked to have seen the Colts.

The Blue Knights rock. . .thank you.

By the way, does anyone else feel like Phantom is no longer the classical corps of drum corps? Lately, I would give that title moreso to Blue Knights. . .and if Blue Stars keep the same feel, them as well.

Seems to have backfired and turned into - if your booed us in 2006, you'll hate us more in 2007.

The problem there is your statement seems to lay the blame for this solely on Hopkins, when in a larger part I think many in the audience need to share that responsibility.

Well, based on what I saw last night, I will add a few comments:

1. Bravo, DCI!! That was well done and entertaining. I thought it was the perfect combination of showing just enough of the corps but also giving insight into the activity.

2. BD and Cadets were real close. Much closer than the score indicated. I loved BD's intensity, and they were CLEAN, so in that regard they probably deserved to win, BUT...clearly, to me anyway, the Cadets were the best performers and nailed a highly difficult show (of course, we did not see all of it). I still have some issues with the narration, but it worked better than early in the season, which should show people that they were listening and trying to tweak things all summer, and MAN can that corps flat out play!!! HOLY COW! If championships were not in California I am not sure BD wins. But congrats to both. Clearly those two were the elite this year. They WERE in a league of their own.

3. Cavaliers, well, not their usual amazing selves. Good visual, weak brass, drums ok, and guard was phenomenal. But after seeing that last night I would have put them below Phantom. Phantom had better brass and drums, a guard that was close, and better GE in my opinion. Phantom should have been a 95.5, and Cavaliers a 95.1.

4. I loved Blue Knights show. Holy cow, that rocked. Keep it up guys!

5. As good as SCV was this year, they were not as good as Bluecoats. Not in brass, not in drums, not in music GE, and they were no better in execution. Visual, yes, they were better, and visual GE. But Bluecoats should have been 5th, and I felt their guard was underscored on finals night.

But those are just my opinions.

JW