SCV 99 and Cadets 07

Now wait just a minute, how come no one is asking the other relevant question...Song of Aeeolus: Cadets 07 vs. Esperanza 04? Or for that matter, 1000 Airplanes on the Roof: Phantom 07 vs...also Esperanza 04. I liked Esperanza 04!

But seriously, I've only seen SCV's version on video, so I think I'll have to wait for this year's DVD to make an informed decision. That shot of the snares rocking out with the cymbals in '99...SO sweet! :worthy:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d definitely have to vote SCV, hands down. The Cadets did a great job (musically) with the Blue Shades, but IMO SCV’s version sets the standard. I recall seeing Crossmen early in the 1999 season and thinking, hmm, Blue Shades could really rock. Later in the season when I saw SCV, my first thought was, WOW! and my second thought was, how unfortunate for Crossmen. Don’t get me wrong, Crossmen did a great job, but SCV just owned that number and set the bar soooo high. On a separate note, I found it interesting that Crossmen opened with Blue Shades and in the same year, SCV closed with it (and this past year Cadets used it in the middle of its show). Independent of the different performance levels, it works best for me as a closer (prefererably with The Canyon as an opener in the same show :P ).

I’d definitely have to vote SCV, hands down. The Cadets did a great job (musically) with the Blue Shades, but IMO SCV’s version sets the standard. I recall seeing Crossmen early in the 1999 season and thinking, hmm, Blue Shades could really rock. Later in the season when I saw SCV, my first thought was, WOW! and my second thought was, how unfortunate for Crossmen. Don’t get me wrong, Crossmen did a great job, but SCV just owned that number and set the bar soooo high. On a separate note, I found it interesting that Crossmen opened with Blue Shades and in the same year, SCV closed with it (and this past year Cadets used it in the middle of its show). Independent of the different performance levels, it works best for me as a closer (prefererably with The Canyon as an opener in the same show :P ).

Someone should put together a video that splices the 1999 Crossmen opener, the 2007 Cadets middle production, and the SCV closer. Blue Shades-a-rama.

Then, we could officially put a moratorium on all Frank Tichelli music in drum corps. :)

Someone should put together a video that splices the 1999 Crossmen opener, the 2007 Cadets middle production, and the SCV closer. Blue Shades-a-rama.

Then, we could officially put a moratorium on all Frank Tichelli music in drum corps. :)

LOL... I actually had a similar thought when I was typing my post.

it would be like the 1990 Dutch Boy show

You Know

Begin the Beguine

Middle the Beguine

End the Beguine

:ph34r::rock:

Edited by bluecoats88

I remember talking to some SCV folks in 1999 and they were totally digging our arrangement more than their own because, in their words, "it is more true to the original". It was funny because we all liked their version better.

Now wait just a minute, how come no one is asking the other relevant question...Song of Aeeolus: Cadets 07 vs. Esperanza 04? Or for that matter, 1000 Airplanes on the Roof: Phantom 07 vs...also Esperanza 04. I liked Esperanza 04!

But seriously, I've only seen SCV's version on video, so I think I'll have to wait for this year's DVD to make an informed decision. That shot of the snares rocking out with the cymbals in '99...SO sweet! :laugh:

You could take most of these a lot further, actually. Oregon Crusaders did 1000 Airplanes on the Roof this year.

It's a bit hard to compare the arrangements because one was a middle song and one was a show closer...

they were going for different things...

That's an excellent point that I hadn't even considered until you brought it up! The programming for a middle-piece and a closer are drastically different.

[However, I still think SCV 99 is one of the greatest shows ever performed - so they get the nod :)]