Best Music arrangers of all time?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Prime with Jay Bocook a close second.

Just off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

-- Wayne Downey (okay.. he's *the* best)

-- Jim Prime

-- Larry Kerchner

-- Truman Crawford (got a chance to be instructed by him in 2002 with the Royal Airs. The man was awesome!)

-- Jay Bocook

I'm leaving out many others, but it's late, and these were the first ones that came to mind.

Van

and whoever did the Crossmen's Pat Metheny show

That was one SERIOUSLY KICKING SHOW!!! First time I saw them that summer while on tour was in Allentown...Nice Hornline.

Edited by Zeke

1. Jim Ott

2. Jim Prime

3. Wayne Downey

4. Ray Baumgardt

5. Jim Wren

6. John Georgson

7. Scott Boerma

8. J.D. Shaw

9. Chris Metzger-Forbes

10. Tim Salzman

That's my "top 10"

This is Drum Corps, man! Top 12, remember! Good list. I'm not as familiar with some of the 'older' guys, but I would have personally had Jim Wren at the top. PR bias, I guess, but the fact that he had to take classical music, sometimes hours of it to pare down for an 11-minute show, and he always did so with such great care and respect for the original, rates him at the top in my book! Translating from strings/woodwinds to brass--wow!

I would have Downey at #2 for two reasons. He is a better brass instructor across all eras, and (I think I have this fact correct) the original music he has arranged for BD over the years comes from a smaller ensemble than Wren's. Brass instructors? Downey. Brass arrangers? Wren. Probably more bias than fact there--take that into account, too.

I agree with JD being further down the list due to the fact that some of his add's don't sit well with me. I don't like PR adding movement for the sake of a time-filler, and I don't like it when you add some of the stuff that they have added musically just for the sake of having a section blaring a million notes a second or holding a note for three and a half years. But some very good arrangements and an exceptional brass instructor as well. Young, too--like to see where he is in 20 years!

thank you everyone for all these replies!!!! :unsure: