OK...Prove It

I have a better idea.

What if Div. II/III, instead of competing with the Div. I drum and trumpet musical extravaganzas, did something radical?

What about starting a new "circuit" of Div. II/III drum and BUGLE corps?

This could be fun and economical. There must be about a million real bugles floating around former drum and bugle corps storage rooms in this country, so startup costs would be cheap. Get those bugles back in action.

Next, eliminate or substantially reduce the pit. Costs once again would plummet. Don't spend a dime on amplification or any other electronics.

Limit travel so that local kids with average family incomes could once again afford to march. Transportation vehicles and costs could be sharply reduced.

Do snazzy, but less complicated marching shows to eliminate costly drill designs and extensive practice times to learn the drills. Implementing all of these factors would also reduce staffing costs. You don't need a huge staff to keep it simple.

Play recognizable tunes to build public support and bring people into your shows. Our little community concert band plays the same patriotic tunes year after year, yet the public turns out in droves to watch the same old show.

Do joint shows with DCI, DCA, BOA, and whoever at every opportunity. Establish community presence at parades, fairs and local events.

Put a corps in every city! Surely with the number of former marchers in this world support could be gathered, and startup and operating costs would be cheap. There are thousands of kids who would jump on an opportunity to march without giving up their summer incomes. The talent pool is huge.

But seriously, it really is all about the money. As costs rise, the number of corps drops. Simple economics. Corps can't afford to get on the road and field, and kids can't afford to march. Tickets to shows are pretty expensive these days too. Make it more affordable and appealing to the mass audience and it might be a whole new world for the activity.

It's just a thought. Never mind.

I agree with Richard...you might be able to put together more cost-effective groups, but you'll be hard-pressed to find members. That type of group just wouldn't appeal to a whole lot of kids.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many corps chartering busses in the first place instead of owing their own fleets?? Probably not...and that problem was never limited to Div II/III....there were Div I FINALISTS who has bus problems...

Tom,

While I agree with some of the more objective facts you have stated, I find it fascinating how badly you want to control this situation and how it seems to command a great deal of your mental energy. Why not evolve from lip service and get involved enough to do something about it? A word of caution - if you get involved, you might need to have an open mind.

DV

Tom,

While I agree with some of the more objective facts you have stated, I find it fascinating how badly you want to control this situation and how it seems to command a great deal of your mental energy. Why not evolve from lip service and get involved enough to do something about it? A word of caution - if you get involved, you might need to have an open mind.

DV

What makes you think I'm not involved...or have not been involved in the past?

What makes you think I'm not involved...or have not been involved in the past?

That is a fair question. I plead "guilty" to assuming you are on the periphery of these circumstances. So let me ask you to educate me - what actions have you taken to try and change (or improve) the situation about which I interpret you to be "bitter?"

DV

That is a fair question. I plead "guilty" to assuming you are on the periphery of these circumstances. So let me ask you to educate me - what actions have you taken to try and change (or improve) the situation about which I interpret you to be "bitter?"

DV

Here's the short list since you asked. My drum corps involvement...

Fan 1968 - present

Volunteer 1995-2004

Corps Director 1998

Brass Instructor 2001

Housed Corps Members and/or Audition members 1995 – 2004

Supported marching members financially 1995 – 2004

Supported Corps financially 1995 – present

Supported Corps with after show snacks 2007

Purchased Tapes, CDs, DVDs from DCI 2000 – 2007

DCP Member 2006 – present