OK...Prove It

So...are we still putting the II/III members on unsafe transportation? Oh, I forgot...it's all about the members.

Just curious, Tom...what is your own personal experience with Div II/III corps? You appear to be implying that DII/III directors and boards are in it for the wrong reasons. Have you experienced this firsthand as a member, staff member or parent? If so, then such motivations are surely bad both for the members and the activity...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many corps chartering busses in the first place instead of owing their own fleets?? Probably not...and that problem was never limited to Div II/III....there were Div I FINALISTS who has bus problems...

I think Div. I for the most part charters. I was under the impression that most II/IIIs still tried to manage their own transportation. Hey, if I'm wrong...I apologize.

But, let's just get down to it. If no one wants to come to see II/III (I've been to prelims back 10 years ago and no one came to prelims except parents and volunteers) why not hold it in a park somewhere? Why spend the money for renting a stadium? II/III is going to have a way to be cost neutral or they face the day when DCI decides they don't need to fund II/III any longer.

I think DCI gave II/III a nice gift by setting Prelims and Semis in Michigan City. It's a perfect II/III venue. I was surprised they didn't schedule finals there as well.

And audience numbers DCI week can't be helped by the location and when held.

Out of curiousity and concern, any idea if Div II/III "powers that be" plan to make changes to help their situation or continue with the "same old, same old".

why not hold it in a park somewhere? Why spend the money for renting a stadium?

That would minimize Div II/III even more, don't you think?

I'd rather have them in a small stadium like PCC that shoving them away to a park like DCI's ######## step-children....

Tom, stop making assumptions. You have no clue what you're talking about. I marched Div III this summer.

We chartered buses. We did a heavier tour than some Div I corps. We had the same 4-ish weeks of everydays that most Div Is have. We paid $1500 for fees. We worked just as hard, and honestly put on a better product than some of the Quarterfinalists. Heck, our book for both brass and percussion had more difficulty than some of the Div Is I saw several times over the course of the season.

We did this for the love of what we were doing and for the people that bothered to come to a show in the past ten years before passing judgment. The audience is made of more than parents and volunteers (though that doesn't mean it's a big audience by any means). We rode chartered buses. We ate good food every day . . . well, for drum corps anyway. Your arguments are those of someone who has made his assumptions and takes them as facts.

As for the directors, there are some out there who are trying to make changes for the better. The only problem is that DCI still must be made to care, and the other directors have to be brought on board. We're trying to affect a change, it's just going to take time. Do some research before you start throwing stuff out there next time.

He's still got that same stick up his butt as always. This guy, for all his protestations to the contrary, seems to hate Div 2/3 and want's it gone. Half his posts moan about Div 2/3. He's a hater - leave him be....

Tom, stop making assumptions. You have no clue what you're talking about. I marched Div III this summer.

We chartered buses. We did a heavier tour than some Div I corps. We had the same 4-ish weeks of everydays that most Div Is have. We paid $1500 for fees. We worked just as hard, and honestly put on a better product than some of the Quarterfinalists. Heck, our book for both brass and percussion had more difficulty than some of the Div Is I saw several times over the course of the season.

We did this for the love of what we were doing and for the people that bothered to come to a show in the past ten years before passing judgment. The audience is made of more than parents and volunteers (though that doesn't mean it's a big audience by any means). We rode chartered buses. We ate good food every day . . . well, for drum corps anyway. Your arguments are those of someone who has made his assumptions and takes them as facts.

As for the directors, there are some out there who are trying to make changes for the better. The only problem is that DCI still must be made to care, and the other directors have to be brought on board. We're trying to affect a change, it's just going to take time. Do some research before you start throwing stuff out there next time.

Dude......who did you march with????

I love Div. II/III. I always watch EVERY one when they are appearing at Div. I shows. I haven't been to DCI Finals since 2001 in Buffalo, (costs too much to travel, plus marching DCA myself), but for the years that I WAS able to get to Championships, I really enjoyed Div. II/III championships. This year, I enjoyed many of the smaller corps performances even more than the Div. I corps.

So why is Div. I more popular than Div. II/III?

Marketing.

Oreo cookies and Hydrox cookies are essentially the same things right? Just like and DCI drum corps is essentially made up of the same elements. Still with me? Okay... So my question is this: why are Oreo cookies more popular than Hydrox? Well, have you ever seen an Oreo commercial? Of course you have. They're on all the time. They're cute and silly and make you want an Oreo cookie and a glass of ice cold milk. Hae you ever seen a Hydrox commercial on TV? I haven't. Not one in almost 24 years on this planet. Same thing applies to DCI. The sanctioning body always advertises the "big boys." You don't see Div. III corps getting much show time. So what do you expect?

Now I'm not one of those folks who blames DCI for everything and thinks they are trying to actively destroy Div. II/III, but I do believe they could do more to promote it and grow the lower divisions. Someone is going to have to. For the betterment of the activity...

Here's an idea for you Tom:

How about you just keep going to Div. II/III shows, enjoying them, and donating instead of telling us about how Div. II/III is dying.

We know that attendance is declining.

We also know that you're hellbent on proving the Div. II/III is failing.

Just chill out man, go relax and watch some fun corps, because they're working their arses off all summer just to entertain you.