OK...Prove It

Oreo cookies and Hydrox cookies are essentially the same things right?

I think that there's a bit more of a difference than that...

1. Show Design. Do you really see Div II/III corps with the same quality of themes, props and uniforms as Blue Devils and PR?

2. Skill of the Members. I hate to pull this card. I think the trumpet performance is going to go to the corps with a chance at making Div I finals.

PS: Oreos are better.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Tom in a manner, this was by far one of the worst attendance of Div II/III I've seen in the last 4 years. When I compare Denver, Boston, Madison and Pasadena, DCI as an organization didn't seem to do much about promoting the world championships in Pasadena. However from what I understand, DCI had spent more in advertsing/promotions, organizing the events, countless negotiations with the city, etc. etc. than ever before. But, the results didn't seem to show that this effort and money was spent wisely. I talked with many people who live in the area and all of them didn't know anything about DCI, Drum Corps Competition, what was going on at the Rose Bowl. Even the hotels had to be told about the events. There were no signs in any of the resturants saying Welcome DCI to Pasadena, signage around the college where Div II/III performed, schedules promoted regarding who was perfoming and when.

The IE was yet another event that wasn't done well using multiple locations and spreading IE performances and time slots multiple locations which were impossible to get to if you wanted to see certain corps and performers.

I don't know what is going on with DCI management and their marketing department. Maybe their "outsourcing" their marketing and promotes to some event management team in India or China. It certainly feels that way. Look at what they are doing for next year in Indianapolis. Div II/III preliminaries with be in Michigan City which is 175 miles away from Indianapolis. This means many Div II/III parents and spectators will have to arrange for multiple hotels, air fares and general travel arrangements if they want to see Div II/III Prelim, Semi and Finals. DCI and Michigan City politicans I'm sure have a handshake and political agreement on the table to have such a mess already planned for 2008.

It just keeps getting better Doesn't It !!!!

Is anyone calling a pastor for last rites? OK...prove me wrong. Over 24000 saw Div I finals Less than 3500 for a whole week of Div. II/III. What is it called when only the parents want to go and see it? What's it called when there are more people in the choir than in the pews? I call it life support. Hook up the tubes.

it isnt just DCI div 1 & 2

this weekend we did a really great alumni show and as all the corps were lined up they outnumbered the audience

my comment to my friend was, I hate to admit this thought but, all this tremendous effort from all these people and nobody really cares.

After that we talked about attendance at the band shows for the bands we help teach, these shows used to be packed.. not any more.

Not even the parents stay to see the show, drop the kids off and leave.

the entire marching activity seems to be less popular

edit: oh wait, were you saying div II is going down? I thought you meant both were going down

anyway we dont need a eulogy we need an drum corpse vangelist

whoa... drum corps evangelist not drum corpse, oops

Edited by BeinGreen

Michael...yes, last year was an anomoly, but while Div. I attendance went up by 30%+, Div. II/III went down by over 20%. So if the audience dwindles the revenue dwindles and we all know where that leads. So let's get together a group of concerned folks and I'm sure we could have some very productive discussions regarding II/IIIs future.

OK. Let me know when the productive discussion starts.

Just a curious question for the various posters in this thread:

What would be the result if Div II/III interspersed their Pre-Lims & Finals competition within the Div I Pre-Lims & Finals competition at the DCI Championships ???

This would allow the Div II/III DCI Drum Corps to play in the bigger venue and not require the renting of an additional stadium that cannot be filled up appropriately (cost based).

I realize this would elongate the Pre-Lims & Finals shows, but maybe a slate of the top 12-or so Div II/III DCI Drum Corps could be brought into the mix.

I believe this might be better than just putting the Div II/III DCI Drum Corps on in the A.M. on either the same or different days of Championship week.

Thoughts ... Anyone ???

What I don't get is why II/III isn't reaching out to DCA to form a Jr. Div. as an alternate to DCI?

I can think of two reasons:

1. DCA doesn't want it, judging from what has been said on past threads.

2. It doesn't solve the basic dilemma. Division II/III are non-members, riding the coattails of a members-only circuit (DCI). Riding DCA's coattails instead would raise the same issues, wouldn't it?

I feel your pain, Tom, but this can't be your only suggestion....

Depends:

If a Junior Division is formed in DCA, then rules would have to be adjusted in order for that division to have a voice

If the corps simply called themselves all-age and competed in DCA, then no rules would have to change for them to have a chance to earn a voice. There isn't any rule saying that a corps can't constrict age (yet). And if a current Division II/III corps just simply told their alumni they could march again, and kept membership local, what would be the difference? just a few more experienced people who believe in that corps

If the corps simply called themselves all-age and competed in DCA, then no rules would have to change for them to have a chance to earn a voice. There isn't any rule saying that a corps can't constrict age (yet). And if a current Division II/III corps just simply told their alumni they could march again, and kept membership local, what would be the difference? just a few more experienced people who believe in that corps

I like this one the best! b**bs

Weekend only

Keep your summer job

A lot less expensive than touring

Participate in your local HS program

Reactivated Alumni

Give me as many reasons why not...............

Edited by Gary Matczak

I can think of two reasons:

1. DCA doesn't want it, judging from what has been said on past threads.

2. It doesn't solve the basic dilemma. Division II/III are non-members, riding the coattails of a members-only circuit (DCI). Riding DCA's coattails instead would raise the same issues, wouldn't it?

I feel your pain, Tom, but this can't be your only suggestion....

No it's not but many of the others I would have revolve around II/III directors growing a pair.

No it's not but many of the others I would have revolve around II/III directors growing a pair.

Oh please.....you act like they all hide in the shadows of Dave Gibbs, George Hopkins, and Jeff Fiedler, begging for scraps and grateful to have dirt to eat ($1 to Bill Cosby), yet afraid to poke their heads of of their hole for fear of getting it shot off!!

To echo your own thread title....prove it.

As for DCA, they can barely handle the increase in Sr corps numbers in the last few years....no WAY they'd be able to take on a sudden influx of the Div II/III groups.