It's called DRUM & BUGLE Corps

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today's DRUM & BUGLE CORPS contest is sponsored by D.C.A.

Please welcome the authentic, often traditional, all-age, mostly b-flat but sometimes G-bugled corps to the field.

Be advised: you may hear familiar songs like Magnificent 7, Espana Cani, Shangri-La, Elks Parade, Georgia, and Maria Fanfare at some point during the show. And you might hear 'em LOUD.

Take every necessary precaution.

You may also see an American Flag and witness a color presentation. Do NOT be alarmed as that is the delivery of tradition and entertainment you came to expect as the paying customer.

Though they will NOT use narration, you may actually hear a melody during some portion of the performance. This is normal.

Whistling or humming "Raphsody in Blue" , "Carmen" or "Birdland" on your way out of the stadium is acceptable behavior.

If you catch a Star United, Renegades Mini-Corps or Empire Statesmen performance, please note that if you smile long enough, your face may stick that way!! b**bs

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and Gentlemen,

*cut to; 20 years later*

Today's DRUM CORPS contest is sponsored by D.C.A.

Please welcome the authentic, often traditional, all-age, mostly horns but sometimes woodwinds and spoken word corps to the field.

Be advised: you may hear familiar songs like Baby Got Back, Here (In Your Arms), Runaway Love, Boston, Tell Me, and Beautiful Liar at some point during the show. And you might hear 'em LOUD.

You may also see an International Flag and witness an acceptance presentation. Do NOT be alarmed as that is the delivery of tradition and entertainment you came to expect as the paying customer.

Though they will use narration, you may actually hear a melody during some portion of the performance. This is normal.

Whistling or humming "Lost Without U" , "Irreplaceable" or "Party Like A Rockstar" on your way out of the stadium is acceptable behavior.

If you catch a Cadets, SCV, or Blue Devils performance, please note that if you smile long enough, your face may stick that way!!

Boy does that bring back memories. To this day I can still remember Wes Hobby at a Hurcs home show announcing : "Ladies and Gentlemen, the groups that you will see tonight are Drum & Bugle Corps - they are not bands.

Actually I have heard narration at a DCA show.....I was playing Empire Statesmen for my students yesterday (2002) and they had someone speaking during the warmup tune.

Very nice write-up...maybe DCA should hire you. You have my vote, but then you did hang around Tom Peashey as a kid!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

*cut to; 20 years later*

Today's DRUM CORPS contest is sponsored by D.C.A.

Please welcome the authentic, often traditional, all-age, mostly horns but sometimes woodwinds and spoken word corps to the field.

Be advised: you may hear familiar songs like Baby Got Back, Here (In Your Arms), Runaway Love, Boston, Tell Me, and Beautiful Liar at some point during the show. And you might hear 'em LOUD.

You may also see an International Flag and witness an acceptance presentation. Do NOT be alarmed as that is the delivery of tradition and entertainment you came to expect as the paying customer.

Though they will use narration, you may actually hear a melody during some portion of the performance. This is normal.

Whistling or humming "Lost Without U" , "Irreplaceable" or "Party Like A Rockstar" on your way out of the stadium is acceptable behavior.

If you catch a Cadets, SCV, or Blue Devils performance, please note that if you smile long enough, your face may stick that way!!

That was Bob Scott and he actually is an announcer of sorts. He is presently working for Mansfield University as a promo guy and is part of their show as well. He did his narration in Empire's show as part of the on field warm up...before the gun began judging. Otherwise it is a penalty.

Donny

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today's DRUM & BUGLE CORPS contest is sponsored by D.C.A.

Please welcome the authentic, often traditional, all-age, mostly b-flat but sometimes G-bugled corps to the field.

Be advised: you may hear familiar songs like Magnificent 7, Espana Cani, Shangri-La, Elks Parade, Georgia, and Maria Fanfare at some point during the show. And you might hear 'em LOUD.

You may also see an American Flag and witness a color presentation. Do NOT be alarmed as that is the delivery of tradition and entertainment you came to expect as the paying customer.

Though they will NOT use narration, you may actually hear a melody during some portion of the performance. This is normal.

Whistling or humming "Raphsody in Blue" , "Carmen" or "Birdland" on your way out of the stadium is acceptable behavior.

If you catch a Star United, Renegades Mini-Corps or Empire Statesmen performance, please note that if you smile long enough, your face may stick that way!! b**bs

"Take Every Necessary Precaution":

Bump. :ph34r:

Elphaba

not that it was narration but back in the mid 70"s........don't remember the year............the hurcs sang notes through their horns. my jaw dropped. if someone remebers this please refresh my memory and confirm the year and song.

Now tha I think about it, Bugles were a relatively late addition to drum corps (1800's I believe ...) Drum Corps started out with Fifes and Drums. Fifes are woodwinds, therefore woodwinds should be okay in drum corps.

Any questions? ^0^