Crown vs. Bluecoats in ‘07

glory

From seeing each show all three nights, I just have to say I think Crown was more of a favorite for me as opposed to Bluecoats because Crown's show was more entertaining. The main thing that sold me was Crown's hornline. That huge hit in the beginning was one of the best hits I have heard from a drum corps in a while. Bluecoats' show was excellent, but Crown did a better job in my opinion of selling it. And I hear some people saying that Crown's "horse racing" was kind of cheesy. I beg to differ. I think that added to the show concept. There were people sitting near me who thought Bluecoats simulation of the Bank robbery with the laser traps were cheesy, but as with Crown's horses, it added to their show concept as well and made the show more entertaining. So all in all, I just think Crown had the better show even though the scores were mighty close. Good thing the scores are out three decimal places or I think there would have been a four-way tie for fourth place.... :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the Bluecoats show. I even bought one of their really cool retro Bluecoats shirts after finals.

Crown's show was amazing! The music was great, they moved well, the guard was insane (more on this later), and they were able to connect with the crowd all season, unlike any other corps this season (to steal/borrow a line from the ESPN Broadcast). I have watched Crown's part on the ESPN broadcast so much that my TiVo could probably perform the show.

Triple Crown was able to do something that can be very challenging - performing a show that is accessible, funny, and challenging. They took what could easily have been a cheese-fest and took it to another level.

IMHO, Crown had the best guard this season. If you watched them closely, every guard's member total commitment to character and the show was fantastic. It was brilliant!!

As some else said earlier, I think that Crown just had all of the right pieces and the ability to connect emotionally with the audience.

I'm a little suprised at how some people can easily dismiss their show calling it cheesy. Was it cheesy when Cavaliers did the Robot? Or SCV did Phantom? The list could go on and on...

I can't wait to see what Crown does next year!!!!

I feel just the opposite, so I excuse myself from the rest of this discussion. I loved every bit of Bluecoats and was generally indifferent to Crown. (shrug)

I agree! Now that the season is over, I listen to Bluecoats over and over. Crown not so much. I also watch the videos on DCI.org season pass thing and sometimes crown's drill is hard to watch....lots of alignment errors and standing and playing.

...the guard was great though.

I thought both were kind of cheesy.

Me too. I LOVE Corps that pander to me, and do all kinds of cheesy things for me. I've been wondering for awhile too.... who stole my cheese? Put some more cheese on that pizza that Corps designers cook up for me. I won't the works!!.." Cheesy" is good !!!

Edited by X DM

I thought both were fantastically designed, possibly the two best of the summer speaking from a total package perspective.

I feel just the opposite, so I excuse myself from the rest of this discussion. I loved every bit of Bluecoats and was generally indifferent to Crown. (shrug)

I have to agree. While I thought Crown's hornline was incredible, the drums much improved over last year - I was one of the few that didn't find the show all that entertaining.