Using 2007 The Cadets as an introductory tool

2007 The Cadets show  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Given that The Cadets show for 2007 was somewhat "introductory" to drum corps, would you use it to introduce a newbie to drum corps?

• Yes
    • No

I'd go with Cavaliers 2004 if it was a complete "n00b"....the James Bond theme is almost universal, and there's enough of old school/new school in there to get the point across about the activity.

It helps to give people a reference point...and as great as the Cadets brass book was, not a lot of new people are going to be able to take that in on first blush, especially with narration the whole time.

Blue Devils 2006, with the well-known "Godfather" theme, could work as well.

OT - Bawker you certainly have an eye for classic beauties in your avatar and sigs..... :blink:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OT - Bawker you certainly have an eye for classic beauties in your avatar and sigs..... :beer:

A-freaking-men

Thats what I would show drum corps noobs.... :blink:

No. I would either take them to a show or lend them a copy of the DCI broadcast. (For newbie indoctrination...ahem, introduction, the shorter format is probably more beneficial.) The more examples they can see, the better.

No. I would either take them to a show or lend them a copy of the DCI broadcast. (For newbie indoctrination...ahem, introduction, the shorter format is probably more beneficial.) The more examples they can see, the better.

Well...clearly, taking someone to a show is better than some video. But if you had to choose.....

Let's see...

Cadets 07 is a good choice...as is 2000....also Crown 2004...esp Bohemian Rhapsody.

Regiment 2003 for a noob who likes symphonic music more so than popular. Their "An American in Paris" is also an idea for someone who like Gershwin.

Well...clearly, taking someone to a show is better than some video. But if you had to choose.....

Well, since the OP only offers the choices of "yes" or "no" (not one show from any corps, any year), I chose the latter. The rest was simply what I would do, if possible.

I can tell you that I didn't like the narration, most of the members laughed in the beginning. But as the summer progressed, it became natural, thus, we virtually ignored it because we had much more on our plates. Trust me, it was just like any other drum corps show that didn't use narration. We, as members, on the field, rehearsed on making the darn thing clean as possible.

:beer::beer::blink:

thus is the state of existance from the point of view of current marching members of drum corps that use narration.

It would show them what's in store and be an honest representation of what thier future holds
.Although I hate to say this... I think you're right :( (if i could find the crying emodicon i would use it)

I can choose differently... but I choose to take your disclaimer offensively. It's very rude and almost hurtful how personal your disclaimer is. I don't believe that any of the members or staff made personal attacks to you. The entire "disclaimer" is virtual a garbage bin label. Personally, I would have you neither show anyone the dvd or watch it yourself, so that such hurtful messages aren't spread around. There's one thing of saying your opinion and there's another to almost verbally embarrass a performer.

You sir, yourself a good favor, and don't show anyone the 2007 if it was such garbage to you. In fact, do me a favor, take the dvd out, copy out the blue devils, and smash our performance. Take a torch and burn the living daylights out of it. That would be easier for me to swallow than to watch you give that disclaimer to someone.

I can tell you that I didn't like the narration, most of the members laughed in the beginning. But as the summer progressed, it became natural, thus, we virtually ignored it because we had much more on our plates. Trust me, it was just like any other drum corps show that didn't use narration. We, as members, on the field, rehearsed on making the darn thing clean as possible.

Sometimes the format and the manner in which you post makes me, as a member, feel that all we had in our show was only and solely, narration. I hope you realize that the narration wasn't 100% of the show nor 100% of the arduous summer cleaning process. However, this could be the way you see the program.

But I'd like you to take multiple looks at the program. Your ears and eyes are yours but it's in your hand to choose if the narration would overshadow anything that we were doing down there. As you said, there is "real talent", I guess if that's what you call it. I don't think the narration hid foot phasing or inconsistencies in playing.

So, aside from all the drama, you are saying you dont agree with me, right ?? OK, thats fine and you are allowed to do that in a free country. Just like I can perceive the Cadets performane and vision from its director as I see fit and post my thoghts about it.

Maybe the "not drum corps" statement was a little harsh as there were indeed blood, sweat, and tears left on each and every practie field, bus, and gym floor.....I take that back, but Im not looking that deep, Im looking at it as an instructional tool.

Lets put it this way, if I may. Suppose I had a friend who never ate Italian food before, I would want to take him to the best restaurant, give him the best, most authentic dish I could think of, and let him enjoy it. Now Cadets, right off the bat, sure a great metaphor for a good restaurant. Their brass and percussion this year, a great metaphor for a superb, delicate pasta dish, say Lasagne, howver add the narration and its like putting browm gravy, no smothering the food with brown gravy and not a good , fine homemade brown gravy, but a jarred version of a cheap brown gravy all over a fine italian dish...get my point ?? Yes or no its ok, but the fact is. Narration cheapened the effect of the show fram a traditional standpoint. Narration was neither thought provoking, innovative, or groundbreaking. Sophmoric, annoying, and trite, covering up a brilliant show that in reality taking narration into effect, was designed poorly. The one thing anyone will definelty take away from this show is "people talkiong throughout the entire performance"

Again,a performance that is usually made up of brass, percussion, and colorguard, now oozed cheeziness with the human voice splattered all over it. Like a great kaiser roll with poppy seeds all over it...heck who cares if you like poppy seeds or not, right ? Just "overlook" it.

When revisiting this show, in the future, if I do, it will be because I desire to see a great drill, a wonderful brass line and vintage Cadets ensemble production. I will not be firing up the DVD for the vocal aspects of it.

I hope you enjoyed your season, you should feel proud, you worked hard. Just because I dodnt like it, doesnt mean someone else doesnt adore it. Its just one persons opinion, and if Im gonna have one, Im gonna be decisive about it. I truly do see the talent level this year, I do see ther awesome design of the drill, recognize the playing of the brass, the outstanding sopranos, wondeful last minute of drill, perfect or not. But, I also groan at the thought of having to hear "this I beleive" every single time for the rest of my life, if I ever choose to revisit that show again. And, it isnt an accurate representation of drum corps in general...not by a long shot if you have to start each conversation with a new person Its awesome, as long as you can get past......."

Sorry

~G~