DCI 2007, 1st-4th

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets wouldn't have been in my top 12...musically, they would have scored in the top 5 easily...marching, they would have scored in the top 5 easily...GE would have been close to last, because the narration just killed it for me.

There's a reason that you're not a DCI judge.

Ever heard of objectivity?

I mean, your statement is basically akin to me saying that Crown should've come in last place because I don't like horses.

Edited by TSRTS13

There's a reason that you're not a DCI judge.

Ever heard of objectivity?

I mean, your statement is basically akin to me saying that Crown should've come in last place because I don't like horses.

Do you honestly think that all the judges do so completely objectively? I doubt it. Surely not every judge is going to say, "Ok, Crown plays with this type sound, so I'm going to listen for it to stay the same and characteristic for them, and give them a score based on that. And now we have the Cavaliers who play this way. I'm going to score them based on their own performance, and not compared to any other corps." I imagine it goes a lot more like this:

"Hey, here come the Cavaliers. Man, they sure are good, those Cavaliers. I'm going to use my preconceived notion that they'll be excellent, and if they're not, I'll cut them some slack. Oh, here comes Phantom! They play loud. I'm going to give them points because they're everyone's underdog. Oh... Here come Crown and the Bluecoats... I guess I'll give them some points to let them know they're getting better, but throw them in the back."

If judges were completely objective Pioneer would be just as likely to win as the Blue Devils because the scoring system would be based on Achievement, and knowing the level of achievement of a corps based on the difficulty of their material would matter. But, in the end what matters is being clean, and having general effect, and good marching. It doesn't matter how hard you tried, or how hard you worked, it's how clean your show looks.

"Hey, here come the Cavaliers. Man, they sure are good, those Cavaliers. I'm going to use my preconceived notion that they'll be excellent, and if they're not, I'll cut them some slack. Oh, here comes Phantom! They play loud. I'm going to give them points because they're everyone's underdog. Oh... Here come Crown and the Bluecoats... I guess I'll give them some points to let them know they're getting better, but throw them in the back."

:blink:

3. Cadets - Execution problems Saturday night and a controversials how that left many sitting on their hands or scratching their heads. You shouldnt have to "get past..." anything in the show, it either works or it doesnt. This didnt work, I believe.

~G~

OH I'm sorry, I was there Saturday night and there weren't a lot of people there "sitting on their hands" as you would put it..at least where I was sitting anyways.

Do you honestly think that all the judges do so completely objectively? I doubt it.

Yes.

I think way too many drum corps fans buy into conspiracy theories. The judges aren't there to #### anyone over. They place people where they think they should be, not where DCI thinks the corps should be.

OH I'm sorry, I was there Saturday night and there weren't a lot of people there "sitting on their hands" as you would put it..at least where I was sitting anyways.

I was also there Taq - I was right down in front in the middle of everyone for finals night (splitting 45-50, row 20). The crowd was extremely unresponsive to the Cadets. To say otherwise is just not true.