How much higher can fees go?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:whistle:

*starts writing letters for sponsorship*

I hear ya on that! My parents pulled out of a past promise they made me to pay half my tour fees so that's out the window. Maybe I'll just ask them to help out for my Christmas and birthday presents.

I mean, that's pretty typical.

Replying to your signature: "Elephants: Larger than Tour Fees!"

Seriously - you should tell your parents to do the math.

Put it in perspective for them.

self-discipline skills....

How much is that worth to them?

Just summarizing your point: $3,000 minimum is a steal. Going into college, having these skills--aside from music--are well-worth it alone.

We're "told" that it's absolutely vital.

Question anything in a band booster meeting, and you are instantly the Super-Duper Pariah of the Universe, though. Oh, well.

There are some really awesome people in band booster clubs, and others... ehhh. I run three drum corps shows, and they are the reason I have a deep-seated aversion to the use of two-way radios. I hate those things [teeth grating just thinking about them] they make people go nuts. And lanyards. Don't get me started on lanyards and ginormous I.D.'s. Ugh. :doh:

Back to the topic-- what if a kid wants to do high school marching band, and either indoor drumline/winterguard, and drum corps? Mom & Dad can get a condo on the Gulf Coast for that much.

Question(s) for you. . .

Is there not a band budget given to the organization for the school district?

What is this enormous amount of dues money being spent on?

Our kids, outside of buying their band shirt, reeds, valve oil, tickets for the DCI show in Dallas, and this current year making payments toward a FL trip pay absolutely nothing to be in band. Now some of their parents are purchasing or have purchased their instrument, but heck, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of our band plays on school-owned instruments.

It is just beyond me that in a public school you guys are asked to fork that over for your kid to participate. :whistle:

Question(s) for you. . .

Is there not a band budget given to the organization for the school district?

What is this enormous amount of dues money being spent on?

Our kids, outside of buying their band shirt, reeds, valve oil, tickets for the DCI show in Dallas, and this current year making payments toward a FL trip pay absolutely nothing to be in band. Now some of their parents are purchasing or have purchased their instrument, but heck, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of our band plays on school-owned instruments.

It is just beyond me that in a public school you guys are asked to fork that over for your kid to participate. :whistle:

We pay that for two BOA regionals this year, staff, etc... It is a top tier program that is very expensive. Unfortunately nothing here is done on the frugal side. Such is life. While I think it could be done better and cheaper, it isn't my call. The band has 250 kids in it

Seriously - you should tell your parents to do the math. A teenager at home for several weekends in the spring and home all summer long costs a LOT more than 3 grand. I know it must be a tough bill for them to swallow (assuming they're footing the bill) but that's because it's all at once, or nearly so. Would they rather you sat in your room playing video games or 'hanging out' in front of the t.v.?

But a kid could get a job during the summer to help offset most of those costs, referring to such things as their own spending money for mechandise and gas, and sometimes insurance. So in the end, it's better for them to get involved with something local than march drum corps.

I'm also shocked by the "dues". It was $200 when I marched in '81 and '82, including doing many parades. We ate well. Of course parents had to help/volunteer to some extent, either on the road, local show or bingo halls. Being a locally based corps had major advantages.

Are locals (if any) required to pay lodging fees as well? May out of towners elect to handle their own lodging and food?

Once you move into spring training and go on tour, you are no longer a local. You are a Drum Corps.