How much higher can fees go?

Question(s) for you. . .

Is there not a band budget given to the organization for the school district?

What is this enormous amount of dues money being spent on?

Our kids, outside of buying their band shirt, reeds, valve oil, tickets for the DCI show in Dallas, and this current year making payments toward a FL trip pay absolutely nothing to be in band. Now some of their parents are purchasing or have purchased their instrument, but heck, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of our band plays on school-owned instruments.

It is just beyond me that in a public school you guys are asked to fork that over for your kid to participate. :whistle:

At long last, TX and I agree on something.....wholeheartedly! A $1000 band "fee" is INSANE for a public school program! The high school band I teach not only has no fee...our booster group provides uniforms, (including shoes), t-shirts for half uniform, band jackets for each kid (and staff) to wear after the show, and coach buses for shows over 2 hours travel time.

But, our kids DO have to buy their own blacks socks..... :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are preaching to the choir...but I will say that I would imagine any of the top 8 BOA bands are similar in costs

At long last, TX and I agree on something.....wholeheartedly! A $1000 band "fee" is INSANE for a public school program! The high school band I teach not only has no fee...our booster group provides uniforms, (including shoes), t-shirts for half uniform, band jackets for each kid (and staff) to wear after the show, and coach buses for shows over 2 hours travel time.

Now that’s what I would call live’n the dream! :whistle:

GAGirl, and Casaba are I are all in the same program. We are a top 3 BOA band, and our staff resembles a drum corps staff. This is really where the money goes!!!!! b**bs

I can understand why corps have rather high fees, because the vast majority of them are independent organizations and are not affilliated with school systems. But high school bands always seem to lose the "battle of the budget" and wind up with the crumbs. I was always a drum corps guy and never a bando, but I have to take their side on this because they always seem to get screwed.

Edited by Piper

That is amazing to me that a public school band program is run off of (at least) $250,000 strcitly coming from the students/parents, assuming more on top of that comes from the district and/or fundraising. Amazing! (and I don't mean that in a good way)

Maybe this is the time to mention how rewarding it is to sponor a member. I did this summer, and it felt like I was a part of the corps again. The young lady whom I sponsored has another four seasons, and I'm looking forward to helping her experience drum corps. Even a partial sponsorship helps!

Maybe this is the time to mention how rewarding it is to sponor a member. I did this summer, and it felt like I was a part of the corps again. The young lady whom I sponsored has another four seasons, and I'm looking forward to helping her experience drum corps. Even a partial sponsorship helps!

<------------

Being in a top 8 BOA band and corps, it really does get a little ridiculous, but not $2,800 ridiculous...

Maybe for both of them though, haha

Edited by Big Will

This may not be a popular opinion here...but while I think the lessons and experiences that you gain from marching are priceless....I think corps fees today are INSANE.

Many people will be quick to brag that sending their kids to a summer camp for 2 weeks could cost so much more.

SO WHAT?!!? $2K-$3K IS A LOT OF MONEY to spend...not to mention the fact that you are NOT making money while touring.

A lot of talent is being priced out of the activity (I probably used that incorrectly)....and remember...there are plenty of other character building experiences a kid can get for $3k....

The more prices rise....the more alternative activities seem reasonable....to me at least.