1963 "Class Reunion"

1963 ... a pinnacle year in the history of drum corps ... the dawning of the age for many mid-tier corps and the last year of the "big guns" being dominent the entire year over the those knocking on the door ... the year of many "circuit" champions: Garden State: Little Falls Cadets; GNYC: Dumont Police Cadets; Penn-Jersey: St. Lucy's; Yankee Circuit: St. Rocco's; CYO Hub: St. Kevin's ... and Nationals - VFW: Chicago Cavaliers; AL, WO, Dream: Blessed Sacrament (incidentaly, I think 1963 was the only time in the 60's that BS and Chicago did not meet in a National competition) ... Seniors: Northeast Circuit: Hurricanes; AL, Dream: Hawthorne; WO: Skyliners ... and then those corps who failed to make the field in 63: Loretto, Cambridge Caballeros, St. Catherine's among the notables ...

Andy "rememberin' 63" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1963 ... a pinnacle year in the history of drum corps ... the dawning of the age for many mid-tier corps and the last year of the "big guns" being dominent the entire year over the those knocking on the door ... the year of many "circuit" champions: Garden State: Muchachos; GNYC: Dumont; Penn-Jersey: St. Lucy's; Yankee Circuit: St. Rocco's; CYO Hub: St. Kevin's ... and Nationals - VFW: Chicago Cavaliers; AL, WO, Dream: Blessed Sacrament (incidentaly, I think 1963 was the only time in the 60's that BS and Chicago did not meet in a National competition) ... Seniors: Northeast Circuit: Hurricanes; AL, Dream: Hawthorne; WO: Skyliners ... and then those corps who failed to make the field in 63: Loretto, Cambridge Caballeros, St. Catherine's among the notables ...

Andy "rememberin' 63" Lisko

andy , your quite the historian ! you should collaberate with ken burns and do a documentry !

andy , your quite the historian ! you should collaberate with ken burns and do a documentry !

HAHA ... now if I only knew who Ken Burns is! ... LOL ...

Andy "I only know what I know" Lisko

At 12 yrs. My first year in drum corps!! Played snare in the Shanee Indians,a killer parade corps. We where Western NY, firemans champions. I gained a lot of experience that year, My first woman, my first drunk, and overall a great time!!

quite to the contrary.....if only ken burns knew who you were.........throw in moe knox & his library of pictures , combined

with his talent of producing documentary history........now we're talk'n good stuff !!!!!

quite to the contrary.....if only ken burns knew who you were.........throw in moe knox & his library of pictures , combined

with his talent of producing documentary history........now we're talk'n good stuff !!!!!

"Drum Corps":

'A Ken Burns Picture'

Andy "He's Got the Stories" Lisko, Moe "Mathew Brady" Knox, and the Fleetwoon-Stetson Richmond music libraries. All you need to do, my preties, is hit "Edit". :worthy:

Elphaba

"Drum Corps":

'A Ken Burns Picture'

Line up Andy "He's Got the Stories" Lisko, Moe "Mathew Brady" Knox, and the Fleetwood-Stetson Richmond music libraries. Gather up all those 8mm & 16 mm home movies/transfers, get a grant from PBS or Uncle Sam, then all you need to do, my pretties, is hit "Edit" and "Away we go".. :worthy:

Elphaba

1963 was a big year for the Sunrisers.

A bunch of folks from the St. Catherine's junior corps..... John and Ted Sasso, Frank Dorritie, Bill Hightower and others..... joined Sun for the '63 season, and it was the first season the corps really put itself on the radar screen against the top senior corps of that era.

Fran

1963 was a big year for the Sunrisers.

A bunch of folks from the St. Catherine's junior corps..... John and Ted Sasso, Frank Dorritie, Bill Hightower and others..... joined Sun for the '63 season, and it was the first season the corps really put itself on the radar screen against the top senior corps of that era.

Fran

True story: Summer, 1962, I'm a 14-year-old kid who is getting very interested in drum corps for the first time when I discover that St. Catherine's Queensmen rehearse on the parking lot of Green Acres shopping center, not far from St. Albans, and a 10 minute walk from my home. Several times I walk out there to watch and become 'star-struck' by the drumline: Orus Cavnor, Billy Cobham and Jack McQuillan among them. In September of that year, I attend my first-ever field show on Randall's Island, hosted by the Queensmen. The contest the next day in Union City would turn out to be their last ever. During the off-season, I buy 'Brass By Night' and play it all winter, ad infinitum.

Fast-forward: Spring 1963 -- Green Acres -- The Sunrisers are rehearsing and learning their drill on the same parking lot. Many familiar faces are in the line such as Cavnor, Cobham, Dorritie, Hightower. Plus, my older brother is personal friends with Frank DiLiberto, John, Ted and Fred Sasso who live in our town of Rosedale, NY. I dream of the day I can join them. In May, I attend the second Carnegie Hall 'Evening With the Corps' show mostly to see them and the Skyliners as well as the top juniors, Garfield and Blessed Sac.

Somewhere between 1963 and 1965, that all changes when I meet Frank (Blackie) Langton who lives in the same town, but marches in Hawthorne. The rest is . . . well, see my signature: not what I had originally expected! Who knows how different things would have been!

First of all, *bump*.

Second, the 1963 show has been delayed as I just moved into a new house and all my stuff is still packed away. I will record the show either this weekend or, worst case, do a back-to-back with 1968 the following weekend.