Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

...And to this day it is widely believed that the Cavaliers and Regiment GE scores somehow got mixed up because the results were completely arse-backward.

When I said it's their Achilles Heel, I meant in a relative sense as in it's the one aspect of their program that doesn't dazzle quite as much as the others.

Phantom Regiment won visual GE on finals night in 2006 because Mike Anderson was judging. That's all there is to it.

Had the finals night visual GE score been in line with what other judges had given them at Quarterfinals and Semifinals, the spread in the overall score would have been substantially larger.

Mike Anderson tried to call the show.

Edited by horn_star

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment won visual GE on finals night in 2006 because Mike Anderson was judging. That's all there is to it.

Had the finals night visual GE score been in line with what other judges had given them at Quarterfinals and Semifinals, the spread in the overall score would have been substantially larger.

Mike Anderson tried to call the show.

The fact that Cavies won Music GE and Phantom won Visual Ge is still one of those things that make you go :grrr: .

The press release says that Jamey resigned after three years on the staff.

Before we all read into it and come up with our crazy theories (we never do that!), perhaps it's possible that he resigned because he had other demands on his time that were more important to him (like a full-time job) or that he wanted a break? Just because there's a change doesn't mean there was blood-letting. :)

That's right, we can only "read into" these things when it's situations like Sully leaving The Cadets.

That's right, we can only "read into" these things when it's situations like Sully leaving The Cadets.

I have met Jamey several times with/at Regiment as well as 'Empire Statesmen' who he designed for as well several times. he is a great designer, and I'm a big fan. However I will share what HE sent me via email.

"Trisha-

I do remember that. Didn't you also sponsor someone in the corps at Regiment?

Thanks for your email. Actually I will not be returned to the Regiment for 2008. After 11 years of writing drills for drum corps I am ready for a much needed break.

Hope you continue to be a Regiment fan and thanks again for your support. "

This was the end of September, and I doubt, there were ANY hard feelings or misgivings. I wish jamey well and HE WILL BE MISSED by regiment and the activity on a whole. BTW -- He does have a full time accounting/CPA business in Chicago! People DO have lives outside of corps ---- when they can!

Phantom has had some pretty good visual presentations in the past. If they were limited, they were pretty impressive none the less.

I have indicated previously that the Visual was "good" however, it has not had the visual "wow's" of the other corps mentioned.

RM - :worthy:

ampssuck

For all we could know, Phantom Regiment could have the equivalent of a Tony Romo in the works. There 's a guy who went undrafted and was given low expectations (by many) because he didn't have the proven pedigree. Now he's playing lights-out and looking very well like he could be the next franchise quarterback for The Cowboys. The folks on staff at Regiment are smart and don't make decisions like this by the flip of the coin. (Ouija board :P ) Tom and Nikk are right--he deserves a chance to show his stuff. As before, I wish him and the corps the best of luck and look forward to seeing a great show next summer.

Yeah, but you can't hope that's the case--how many Quincy Carter's and former Washington State QB's have we had since our last franchise QB? That's why Romo is such a blessing--totally unexpected. Oh, and b/c he wasn't thrown in first-day like Aikman. The equivalent analogy to this discussion would be Nick doing Blue Knights' drill for a couple years, etc. They're throwin this guy (can't exactly call a mid-20's guy 'kid') to the wolves. If he doesn't take a step up the alumni will howl.

Just out of curiosity, are you affiliated with any of the Colorado high school bands? I think that Colorado is finally producing some very demanding and innovative high school band programs overall. I find myself more entertained these days.

Colorado has ski slopes. Texas has marching bands. (puts on double-thick flame suit)

And I'm glad to hear the opinion stated multiple times that PR has a qualified drill writer. I just don't listen to opinion much. I like proof. And marching band don't cut it--I don't care if the guy wrote BOA Grand National-level MB's, it ain't the same. I'd like to see the organization think a bit wider and broader than the alumni roster on the web site. If it costs some bucks, well, then write the check. And if you're going to refuse to address one of the suspect areas...all things visual...what's up with that?

Nikk, have you ever approached a corps about writing for them? You've been doing it for quite a while now and have plenty of experience both in corps and writing. I mean, even if it took doing 'open class' for a couple years then Crossmen/Blue Stars, it's not like there's no demand for fresh talent!

I KNOW we'll (phantom regiment) be ok....

have faith

Edited by tplaya1

Nikk, have you ever approached a corps about writing for them? You've been doing it for quite a while now and have plenty of experience both in corps and writing. I mean, even if it took doing 'open class' for a couple years then Crossmen/Blue Stars, it's not like there's no demand for fresh talent!

A number of years ago I was approached by Teal Sound about writing their drill, but they never followed up with me. I'm not sure that I am terribly interested in writing drill for drum corps anymore. The time demands would probably not work with my schedule, so...I don't really consider it anymore.

P.S. If anyone is interested in band CDs and such, I am selling mine: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdarthnikk

Some good stuff in there.

Maybe Phantom is just tired of the same formula they've been using.

(although this goes for most everyone)

Hire the big expensive guys, fire them after you don't see the results you want, rinse, repeat.

Maybe they want some one they have more of a connection with. I mean it's already been stated that he's marched previously AND recently, so he obviously knows somewhat of the direction they are trying to go in Rockford.

To be honest I would've put Phantom and Cavies at a tie last year, though my gut says Regiment should've won it all (then again I'm Phantom biased, so LOL). I'm not saying the Cavies get better scores because they wear black pants, and grass matching uniforms, but I would say it helps. And I wouldn't say phantom doesn't score as well as everyone else does in visual because of their uniforms, but the all white doesn't help either. Cavaliers has a visual program that I would be jealous of if I was the one writing the drill. I'm hoping this is what regiment will be getting in the future with this new drill designer.

And I'm sure someone's going to take this the wrong way and think that i'm trying to say cavalier's imperfections are hidden , therefore = higher visual scores. But that's not what I'm saying. Hope nobody thinks that ....

Edited by PhantomPhan1989