In and Out of the top 12

I don't really care who's in what place as long as they deserve it. To be honest, I see people pining for certain groups to be in the top 12, and they've been nowhere up to par in the last few years, if not more. Instead of complaining about who's beating you, maybe they should get better.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highest scoring 12 corps at semifinals. That is who should be in, regardless of nostalgia, the past or anything. :beer:

If the corps not in the top 12 get better then the current ones, they will be in. :beer:

VERY simple. b**bs

EXACTLY!!!

Look, everyone wants their corps in the top 12, but the fact is, unless they are the caliber of the top 12, they will not make it. And if corps like Cadets, Cavies or BD are not in the top 12, I honestly don't see a lot of people following drum corps anymore. Usually lots of people watch the finals show live and not quarters or semis...judging from what I have seen when I marched.

I don't really care who's in what place as long as they deserve it. To be honest, I see people pining for certain groups to be in the top 12, and they've been nowhere up to par in the last few years, if not more. Instead of complaining about who's beating you, maybe they should get better.

I think people fully understand that breaking into the top 12 means getting better in order to do so. I doubt us "piners" out here think that improvement is not part of the equation. So, if I were to say I want Troopers to break into the top 12, what I'm really saying is this:

1. I want Troopers to have the financial and administrative means to retain the best possible design staff to write a top 12 caliber show, as well as the best possible teaching staff to work the kids through the daily grind.

2. I want Troopers to retain lots of vets as well as recruit enough seasoned and mature marching members who will have the physical and mental capability to pull off a top 12 caliber show.

3. I want the crowds to go nuts when they see this new caliber of Troopers hit the field.

It's just easier to say "I want Troopers to break into finals." :)

I think people fully understand that breaking into the top 12 means getting better in order to do so. I doubt us "piners" out here think that improvement is not part of the equation. So, if I were to say I want Troopers to break into the top 12, what I'm really saying is this:

1. I want Troopers to have the financial and administrative means to retain the best possible design staff to write a top 12 caliber show, as well as the best possible teaching staff to work the kids through the daily grind.

2. I want Troopers to retain lots of vets as well as recruit enough seasoned and mature marching members who will have the physical and mental capability to pull off a top 12 caliber show.

3. I want the crowds to go nuts when they see this new caliber of Troopers hit the field.

It's just easier to say "I want Troopers to break into finals." :)

VERY good point.

Right on, right on.

I have to think that anyone who expresses a wish for "this corps I'd like to see go far" has got to offer that comment pre-qualified with the condition: "because they've worked hard enough to earn it." Anything else -- nostalgia, affection, change -- takes a backseat to that.

So when I say I'd like to see Madison and Troopers right their ships and make a run, as well as some of the newer, formerly lower corps (Academy, some feisty sorts from Div. II and III), I mean that they do so because the organization as a whole has caught a clue, the kids catch fire and the world takes notice. That's exciting to me.

Anything less that that, such as wishing the BD, Cavies and Cadets take a fall just because it would be different, is missing the point about what gets those organizations to the top year in and year out. <**>

Wishing for a few more organizations to emulate those models, and achieve the success that can come from that consistency, well, that's a good thing.

Right on, right on.

I have to think that anyone who expresses a wish for "this corps I'd like to see go far" has got to offer that comment pre-qualified with the condition: "because they've worked hard enough to earn it." Anything else -- nostalgia, affection, change -- takes a backseat to that.

So when I say I'd like to see Madison and Troopers right their ships and make a run, as well as some of the newer, formerly lower corps (Academy, some feisty sorts from Div. II and III), I mean that they do so because the organization as a whole has caught a clue, the kids catch fire and the world takes notice. That's exciting to me.

Anything less that that, such as wishing the BD, Cavies and Cadets take a fall just because it would be different, is missing the point about what gets those organizations to the top year in and year out. <**>

Wishing for a few more organizations to emulate those models, and achieve the success that can come from that consistency, well, that's a good thing.

I definitely agree with that.

In NO particular order I would like to see the following in top 12

Troopers

Blue Stars

Santa Clara Vanguard

Madison Scouts

Pioneer

Phantom Regiment

Blue Devils

Cadets

Academy

Mandarin