A Drum Corps Show's Primary Objective

Resolved: The first and foremost objective for any drum corps show is to provide value to the sponsors. (Debatable?)

When i looked at this, i thought you were talking about an individual corps show (as in an 11minute production). Since you obviously are not, ill have to largely agree with you. If there is no value to the sponsors, there is no show. Perhaps providing a positive experience for the members and fans is just as important, since without them performing and buying tickets, there are no tickets sold, and therefore, no value to the sponsors. As cirular as this debate will be (and both sides probably right), i wont be surprised to see people vehemently defending one side or the other... :)

Depending on what your definition of "sponsor" is.

If its the people who buy the tickets and/or help sponsor members OR parents/members

who sponsor their kids/themselves - then yes- that is (or should be) the "foremost objective"

for any drum corps.

Resolved: The first and foremost objective for any drum corps show is to provide value to the sponsors. (Debatable?)

emphasis added by me

To the extent your resolution regards the show and not the activity more broadly, the assertion is defensible. I don't, however, agree that the activity exists for the benefit of its sponsors.

HH

I believe the activity started with the objective of Entertainment

:doh:

Edited by john2780

I'm curious. Does that mean that NFL football's primary objective is to provide value to Budwiser, Video game companies, home improvement stores, and erectile disfunction medication manufacturers?

One can certainly make a decent argument that NFL football games, at least their broadcasts, have that objective.

For real debate, we need to define a common set of terms. Otherwise, it's just people talking.

The big one for this question is, what is "value," and which "sponsors" are we talking about.

I'd say that it's reasonable to assume that not all sponsors would consider an action by DCI to be "valuable," though some might.

Since this resolution tends to be pretty emotionally charged for a lot of people, then perhaps a socratic discussion might be preferable to debate.

Let's not confuse purpose and objective. A show's purpose is for drum corps to happen. There are many sponsors out there that don't do what they do to make moolah. That said, the objective is indeed to fulfill the cost requirements and put butts in seats primarily. From the position that a show promoter is interested in breaking even such that they could have drum corps in perpetuity, yes.

It's clearly the primary objective.