Capital regiment still inactive for 2008

Who plays bingo? Serious question. I'm looking for a demographic here. It has never ever occurred to me to play bingo.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who plays bingo? Serious question. I'm looking for a demographic here. It has never ever occurred to me to play bingo.

Old people

Actually - not so much.

When we performed at the Capital Regiment Centre in 2004 right before leaving on tour, I'd say most of those people were in their 40's - some older, but mostly not.

I have seen a lot of bingo and it is usually an older crowd. You dont see many 20-somethings mixing it in a bingo hall

Right, but most of the ones I saw weren't AARP aged.

I never said it was a million, just used it as a figure. I said if you only had enough money to break even, it still wouldn't be a wise choice going out and touring due to the strong possibility that in the end you will wind up owing money and being in the red.

Oh! Oh! I know this one! They're usually smokers with crocheted octopus dolls that hold their ink dabbers and wear really large floral prints. And the usual player takes the game way more seriously than my group of "it can't be so hard..put the bean on the card, right?" friends. We went to Chocktaw Indian Bingo once and it was like $50 and you had to play 16 cards at once and no one talks because it's so dang serious and it lasted three hours. Kinda like "Bingo Hell" The highlight however came when they put the large red headed woman in this glass bubble machine that blew cash around and she had to grab it and she was scooping it into her shirt and her skirt was blowing up and....well, let's just say it was a visual I don't want to relive. Drag Queen bingo was a LOT more fun but there still was that pesky large floral print thing going on.

All in all, I'd rather be in Indy, finding a hot dog and having my face blasted off. If a corps needs my bingo money, I'll write a check but I digress............

Here's wishing Rick and Cap Reg the best. I hear he did a good bit of volunteer work for the activity last summer and loaned out the food truck to a corps in need. Hope they can work out the details. I miss them on the field.

Capital Regiment is current with all of their financial obligations, which was the point of not fielding in 2007. The reality that they are now faced with is this: They are funded primarily by Bingo revenue. Bingo laws in Ohio and Franklin County are very restrictive and bingo revenues ACROSS THE COUNTRY are declining (Here in California, the State Attorney General just put the hammer down in a big way. The California corps will have to make MAJOR changes in order to survive.). In the not too distant future, bingo will not be a viable option for funding a drum corps. Back to Cap Reg, they sat out 2007 in order to get caught up and will sit out 2008 in order to set up long term funding. They want to be financially stable before they hit the road. Taking this approach will mean the difference between coming back for good and being in constant fear of folding. This was the probem with Magic. They wanted to come back so bad that they didn't get their affairs in order first. CR is making a smart decision here.

Capital Regiment is current with all of their financial obligations, which was the point of not fielding in 2007. The reality that they are now faced with is this: They are funded primarily by Bingo revenue. Bingo laws in Ohio and Franklin County are very restrictive and bingo revenues ACROSS THE COUNTRY are declining (Here in California, the State Attorney General just put the hammer down in a big way. The California corps will have to make MAJOR changes in order to survive.). In the not too distant future, bingo will not be a viable option for funding a drum corps. Back to Cap Reg, they sat out 2007 in order to get caught up and will sit out 2008 in order to set up long term funding. They want to be financially stable before they hit the road. Taking this approach will mean the difference between coming back for good and being in constant fear of folding. This was the probem with Magic. They wanted to come back so bad that they didn't get their affairs in order first. CR is making a smart decision here.

Essentially there is some sort of trait ingrained into human nature that requires bingo players to smoke while they play. Ohio no longer allows smoking indoors in public. Less people play because they can't smoke even though they can easily spend the remaining 20 hours of the day locked inside their own homes giving themselves cancer. Less players = less money.