Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

I mollycoddled my college marching band just last week.
Ummm.... "mollycoddled" isn't an abbreviation for "molotov cocktailed"... but nice try! ^0^

Alas, poor Hipposuck, I knew him not at all. Before I could even be taught that I am an "unprofessional" audience member, he quit the forum (or at least implied he would). As we don't seem to have a clapping smiley available, please accept my :blush: as a token of my DCP professionalism.

BTW, now that I am "professional", I'd like my payment by Paypal. Mods? Are you on it?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wait a minute bucko...you mean if I would have just clapped...more corps would still be here?

And I thought all this time I had to click my heels three times.

Hey, thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know how important putting two hands together could be.

So, when ECJ asks me for a donation this year to help sponsor their corps, I'll just clap to them over the phone...ok?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :blush:

That is truly sad that any musician would do that to another. If you have no respect for others of your craft, you don't deserve to be in the audience. This is the worst topic I have ever read on these forums about blatant disrespect and apathy. Good bye, drumcorpsplanet.com. I'll try and see past my pompous opinion believing that everyone deserves applause...I was just selfish I suppose.

Drop in on RAMD and start a thread like this. THAT would be fun to watch.

ugh. "marching musics major league." sheesh.

if the non-clappers on this thread are as elitist as some are coming across, i presume many of you dont even bother ever attending a div 2/3 show because of the lack of entertainment, precision, and excellence at the highest level. obviously theyre not making the most of their "tuition," hmmm?

oh wait, theyre kids performing because of their love of performance/drum corps/their corpsmates. choosiness in appreciation doesnt make the activity better or even (GASP) bring back "traditional" show design. youre not doing a disservice to yourself or your pride for at least clapping for kids' efforts, even if their performance level/show design wasnt up to your standards. clapping doesnt hurt your hands that much, but the right amount of it might just make a 16 year old's night.

how can people whove marched before seriously post and say that theyre 100% indifference to audience reaction??? you mean to say you snap your horn down at the end of a piece and honestly feel exactly the same if the audience is standing/screaming/cheering, or staring at you completely silently?? no way i could ever believe that.

Is a "golf" clap condescending toward a corps and its members? (Put it in the category with the "white lie".) Should I clap for any ol' piece of crap put on a football field, even if I thought it was the worst thing ever done, just to spare someone's feelings?

That's a question that everyone needs to ask themselves. And like I said before, drum corps crowds in general are not "polite". They let you know exactly what they feel. If they love you, they'll stand up and cheer. If they think you were OK, you'll get some claps. If they didn't like you, they'll sit on their hands, and maybe even boo during announcements of scores if they think you got placed too high.

You could look at not clapping as being disrespectful to the performers and their efforts. Or you could look at clapping at something you didn't like as being dishonest and doing a disservice to the performers by not telling them what you really thought.

ugh. "marching musics major league." sheesh.

if the non-clappers on this thread are as elitist as some are coming across, i presume many of you dont even bother ever attending a div 2/3 show because of the lack of entertainment, precision, and excellence at the highest level. obviously theyre not making the most of their "tuition," hmmm?

oh wait, theyre kids performing because of their love of performance/drum corps/their corpsmates. choosiness in appreciation doesnt make the activity better or even (GASP) bring back "traditional" show design. youre not doing a disservice to yourself or your pride for at least clapping for kids' efforts, even if their performance level/show design wasnt up to your standards. clapping doesnt hurt your hands that much, but the right amount of it might just make a 16 year old's night.

how can people whove marched before seriously post and say that theyre 100% indifference to audience reaction??? you mean to say you snap your horn down at the end of a piece and honestly feel exactly the same if the audience is standing/screaming/cheering, or staring at you completely silently?? no way i could ever believe that.

talk about trying to stretch an argument....clapping or not now means you support or don't support Div. II/III, sorry Open.

Silly logic if you ask me.

I know I'd always feel ###### when we came off the field to the sound of crickets. But it also gave us the question, "Did we give the crowd something to clap FOR?"

:blush::blush::blink:

THERE WE GO! If you got the same applause as everyone else, how would you know if there was something wrong? Those people who didn't clap weren't being rude. They were keeping it real! And so you became more informed about how your performance was! Or you're more informed of your show design.

A great thing about the experience that drum corps can provide for its participants is a real life performing experience, where you perform night after night for PAYING customers. That means there's the potential for babies being thrown, and for hands being sat upon. That makes it a huge learning experience (education)! You put in polite applause and polite standing ovations and you dilute the learning experience for them. Keep it real!