Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

People can do what they want to. If they want to give a golf clap, fine. If they want to jump up, scream, and rip their shirts off, also fine. If they don't want to clap, or if they unfortunately decide to boo...that's fine! It's their decision. Just because you have your standards doesn't mean that everyone has to conform to them. Sure, some of those things may not exactly be the right thing to do (mostly referring to booing), but it's their mind, it's their opinion...let them come off as a jerk.

Sorry if anybody disagrees with me or calls me classless, but that's just the way I see it. Personally? I clap for all the corps I see (of course, I've only been to 1 competition). I think I stood up for 2 or 3 corps, but that's all.

Edited by Mellofone07

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason might be that the person not standing has a physical problem and standing is either a (literal) pain or unsafe due to narrow stadium rows.

Sore point for me as my wife went to DCA with a one year old knee replacement and new pinched nerve. With the knee replacement, getting in/out of the seat was a team effort so she would not fall. With the pinched nerve we heard a lot of the shows from the concession area as prolonged sitting was causing back spasms.

That's why they say at my church, "Stand as you are able" for the hymns.

In contrast to all you "shut up and clap"-ers, no I don't always applaud at the end of a performance. This isn't facism. I don't have to applaud what I don't want to. Not every performance deserves a standing ovation either. As a member, it was always my job to earn that applause and that standing O. If a corps is good, yes, I will applaud. If a corps is great, yes, I'll give a standing O. It is the members job to get an audience off their rearends and make them put their hands together and scream. These things are not automatic. The real world does not applaud effort only. If it's poor, it's poor.

As far as booing, I'll never boo a corps. It's a line I'll never cross. My silence says enough.

Edited by contrajedi8

The only arrogance I’ve read in this thread is on the part of those who believe their personal opinions are so precious, so sacred, they can’t deign to acknowledge there might be more at play here than themselves.

No one is asking you to revoke your opinions. All that’s required is that you acknowledge by a simple clap that something positive – anything really - has transpired.

On behalf of all drum corps fans everywhere, I grant you leave to reserve your consternation and indignation. You are entitled to your opinion, even negative and outright hateful ones even though you clap. To do so isn’t hypocrisy; it’s appreciation for an activity all of us as supposed to love.

HH

Is this flat out rude?

My answer is YES. Not clapping (Acknowledging) a corps efforts after they have finished their performance is rude...IMHO.

Let's have a little recap.

You're not supposed to boo.

If you send a complaint in to DCI, Mike D will send in a follow-up e-mail saying "Ignore the DCP few."

And now, if you don't clap after EVERY SINGLE SHOW it's "flat out rude."

Hmm...what is a disgruntled fan to do? We can't even sit on our hands anymore...apparently.

Edited by atlvalet

And the Politeness Nazis strike again! How egalitarian of you to demand that everyone conform to your idea of what's rude and not!

"Classy behavior" is congratulating your hated competitor for defeating you. "Classy behavior" is being a gracious winner. ClassLESS behavior is booing. It is turning your back to the corps on the field or making snide remarks to anyone wearing a corps' colors or logo. Not clapping, in and of itself, is NOT classless behavior, just like clapping in and of itself is not "classy" behavior. Given the correct context, it might gain "classy" status, ie Cadets applauding BD for winning. The two extremes are not all the possibilities available; what falls outside of "classy" is not automatically deemed "classless".

I think that most people on here have construed a good policy: Applaud if you like it, cheer yourself hoarse if you loved it, and whatever else, at the very least don't boo. But, apparently that's not good enough for some people. Is coerced applause a good thing?

As someone else posted, sometimes everyone else is standing, and I remain in my seat. I'm still putting my hands together, but I'm not pulled up to my feet by what I just witnessed. Am I being rude because I'm not conforming? Hardly. Conversely, if I'm the only one jumping to my feet by something a corps just did, am I being rude? Hardly, either. (Funny how no one condemns that!)

Let's put this into perspective. There are four opportunities to applaud for a corps: when they enter the field, when they finish their performance, when they troop the stands after the performance, and when their score is announced. (There used to be one more: when they played off the field after retreat.) I think we're really only talking about the second one in this thread: at the conclusion of the performance, when we are most affected by it.

If you want to show your respect for the members' hard work even if you hated the show, I think it's quite reasonable not to clap at the end of the show but stand and applaud as the corps troops off the field.

I don't know that I ever saw a show that I disliked so badly that I didn't clap at all, but I reserve my right to do so in the future.

I guess it comes down to this question: Is a "golf" clap condescending toward a corps and its members? (Put it in the category with the "white lie".) Should I clap for any ol' piece of crap put on a football field, even if I thought it was the worst thing ever done, just to spare someone's feelings?

Probably, most spectators would decide that it doesn't cost them much to slap their palms together a few times to discharge any responsibility they may feel toward others who put themselves out, attempting to entertain. However, I think most spectators would also balk at the requirement to do so, when externally imposed upon them.

You beat me to it.

I was going to agree with her if she agrees to goostep and sing Tommorow Belongs to Me.

While "I" don't ever BOO a corps I sure wish the staff didn't have to hide behind the kids.

As the corps leaves the field, applaude them but then have the staff come up to the front side line so we can tell THEM exactly what we feel about the show.

To me, thats fair.

But on a different note, I remember back around 80-82, driving up to Whitewater on a whim for a decent sized show in July.

It was a great day for prelims. Then the Blue Devils came on and it was one of the most dynamic horns books up to that time. The show only seemed 2 minutes long and they were leaving the field. It was so great that most people were in shock. We sat there just looking at each other and asking: " did you just hear what I just heard ? "

Another judge friend of mine who was a percussion guy walks over to me and asks the same thing...........Mike, what the hell was that ? Was that as good as I think it is ?

There was very little applause that day as people sat stunned and at the most did a polite golf clap.

The worst part was that the Guardsmen were up next and while their show was good, after seeing and hearing what BD had just done, the opener seemed like it was 30 minutes long. a huge portion of the crowd got up during their show and went to the back of the stadium to either talk, stand in shock or go see BD.

I've been around corps since the late 60's and have experienced few shows like that.

I tried to back to my seat but I was so overwhelmed by BD that I just went to the car, turned up the AC and took a nap.

Was anyone else there for that show ?

It all depends, if a show isn't your cup of tea not clapping is much more PC than boo'ing or degrading the members. However, it also depends on which corps you are watching... Colt Cadets vs. The Cadets... I'd be much more inclined to clap for a Colt Cadet show if I didn't like it rather than a Cadet show. Age difference.

Yes, please make sure everyone notify's me whenever they send a complaint to DCI so I can send along a followup.

<**>

It was a general reference...not about every single complaint. And the comment is entirely true and valid, because you did do that (by your own admission).

Edited by atlvalet

People can do what they want to. If they want to give a golf clap, fine. If they want to jump up, scream, and rip their shirts off, also fine. If they don't want to clap, or if they unfortunately decide to boo...that's fine! It's their decision. Just because you have your standards doesn't mean that everyone has to conform to them. Sure, some of those things may not exactly be the right thing to do (mostly referring to booing), but it's their mind, it's their opinion...let them come off as a jerk.

Sorry if anybody disagrees with me or calls me classless, but that's just the way I see it. Personally? I clap for all the corps I see (of course, I've only been to 1 competition). I think I stood up for 2 or 3 corps, but that's all.

Theres a lot of good things being said here, and a lot of really, really, dumb ones. Personally, I would prefer it if every corps got a standing ovation just because. I gave one to every corps at quarters this year, especially the groups who i knew would be ending their season that night. I just feel like the energy in most stadiums is way down from the shows i went to before and during the years that i marched (and from video's that ive seen, but take that as you will). Here's how it is with me - I marched in one of the best groups in the world, and there isnt much out there that i havent seen or done. Im not saying this to brag - im saying it because there's honestly not much in the world of marching music that impresses me anymore. There were maybe a total of 3 performances (not shows) this year that I actually felt the urge to get up out of my seat and scream for, yet i still stood for every one i saw (i think), just because i thought they deserved it. I feel like dci is getting more like a band show, where its all political, and people just cheer for their group, or the kind of music they happen to like. Yeah, i guess its natural, but i dont like it.

On the flip side of all that, I'll never yell at someone for not clapping. As an outspoken critic of booing, i think that lack of enthusiam is probably more effective, and certainly more appropriate as a tool of protest. Imagine the rose bowl during the cadets show this year - only instead of booing and heckling, replace it with complete indifference. I dont know about you, but seeing a third (or whatever) of the rose bowl sitting there on their hands for 10 minutes would be a lot more off-putting than hearing a couple jerks booing and yelling...

I guess the debate will go on, as it always does, but i feel like it should just die right here... :blush: