Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

This thread proves something most of us believe implicitly: DCP isn’t representative of the drum corps community.

In all the shows I’ve been to through the years, I’ve yet to sit next to someone who didn’t clap at least politely after each corps. Sure, there was a friend to absented himself for the BD Dance Derby show. And there was someone last year who made an exit before Cadets. And there’s always someone who in her haste to make it to the bathroom and back might not take the time to applaud. But in all these shows in all those cities in so many states, through all these years sitting next to so many different people, I can’t remember a single person near me who chose not to acknowledge the effort in some fashion as a matter of course.

And here on DCP all these volunteers for silence will raise their hands where they won’t clap their palms. We have here all these guardians of the first amendment, these defenders of conscience fighting for their right to self-expression by choosing to miss the bigger picture of performance and accomplishment on the field.

All I can say is I’m glad that DCP represents more the extreme and narrow edge of our community. Because if that view prevailed, the drum corps experience would be a lot less rewarding for the performers and for the rest of us.

HH

Yup...agree with the above 100%.

For me personally, I always stand and applaud, no matter who the corps is. It's just what I choose to do, as do most others, as you so well state.

I DO think, however, that those who decide they'd rather not applaud are just fine. Seems kind of odd to me to not acknowledge the group that has just performed, but it's up to them. As you state, these folks are the 'narrow edge', not the general audience.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a hypothetical situation for all of you clappers: Let's say there is a top tier drum corps that comes out one season and has a completely offensive show? I mean everything from Nazi symbols in their drill ...

I wouldn't clap as loud for that as I would for Blue Stars '77 which featured several Jewish songs!

Seriously, your strawman argument is a good one in as much as it forces us to adopt an uncomfortable position to be consistent. But I'd turn that around. If we're willing to acknowledge something positive on the field in that Nazi mess by simple applause, doesn't that expose the fundamental weakness in your point of view where irrespective of accomplishment and offense alike, you can't afford a single clap?

There's a real-life example here. Who remembers the Yankee-Rebels exhibition in 2000? RAMD that year featured a heated debate about the Yankee-Rebel use of the Confederate battle flag in its traditional Civil War segment. Some argued that the Confederate flag was an offensive and provocative symbol. Smart people can disagree about the use of that symbol on the drum corps field. But does that mean there was nothing in the Yankee-Rebel performance worth our acknowledgement? I don’t think so, and I doubt you do either.

So the question is why not clap even when some part of the performance falls below the usual standard. The answer is the clap need not be a complete statement of our views. It can be a very limited expression of acknowledgement that something transpired worthy of some approval. (Heck, if it makes you feel better, it could be nothing more than a statement on your part that you’re glad the show is over.)

In the end, we clap not necessarily for ourselves, but for the performers who, if nothing else, tried.

HH

This thread proves something most of us believe implicitly: DCP isn’t representative of the drum corps community.

In all the shows I’ve been to through the years, I’ve yet to sit next to someone who didn’t clap at least politely after each corps. Sure, there was a friend to absented himself for the BD Dance Derby show. And there was someone last year who made an exit before Cadets. And there’s always someone who in her haste to make it to the bathroom and back might not take the time to applaud. But in all these shows in all those cities in so many states, through all these years sitting next to so many different people, I can’t remember a single person near me who chose not to acknowledge the effort in some fashion as a matter of course.

And here on DCP all these volunteers for silence will raise their hands where they won’t clap their palms. We have here all these guardians of the first amendment, these defenders of conscience fighting for their right to self-expression by choosing to miss the bigger picture of performance and accomplishment on the field.

All I can say is I’m glad that DCP represents more the extreme and narrow edge of our community. Because if that view prevailed, the drum corps experience would be a lot less rewarding for the performers and for the rest of us.

HH

*tear* :rolleyes::doh::doh:

I wouldn't clap as loud for that as I would for Blue Stars '77 which featured several Jewish songs!

Seriously, your strawman argument is a good one in as much as it forces us to adopt an uncomfortable position to be consistent. But I'd turn that around. If we're willing to acknowledge something positive on the field in that Nazi mess by simple applause, doesn't that expose the fundamental weakness in your point of view where irrespective of accomplishment and offense alike, you can't afford a single clap?

There's a real-life example here. Who remembers the Yankee-Rebels exhibition in 2000? RAMD that year featured a heated debate about the Yankee-Rebel use of the Confederate battle flag in its traditional Civil War segment. Some argued that the Confederate flag was an offensive and provocative symbol. Smart people can disagree about the use of that symbol on the drum corps field. But does that mean there was nothing in the Yankee-Rebel performance worth our acknowledgement? I don’t think so, and I doubt you do either.

So the question is why not clap even when some part of the performance falls below the usual standard. The answer is the clap need not be a complete statement of our views. It can be a very limited expression of acknowledgement that something transpired worthy of some approval. (Heck, if it makes you feel better, it could be nothing more than a statement on your part that you’re glad the show is over.)

In the end, we clap not necessarily for ourselves, but for the performers who, if nothing else, tried.

HH

Actually, very good points. Especially your statement about clapping just because the show is over. I guess that makes sense. However, I still choose to not clap because that's just the way I am. And my point is is that no matter what happens on the field, whether it be offensive, just simply horrible, or whatever, the clappers MUST clap because you command it. Also, to all other future replyers quoting what I said, don't focus on the Nazi statement, that was just ONE example of something offensive.

what would autumn leaves have been in '87 if the audience hadnt stood up and given a mid-show ovation for almost a minute? much less visibly special and memorable on dvd, and seemingly less emotional and impactful to those who were there. i cant imagine 134 of your corpsmates discussing the show afterwards and talking about how the ovation was one of the best moments of their lives, and you stoically remarking afterwards that you hadnt noticed because you were standing there waiting for the next piece to start. :)

(also wouldnt have been too fun to be in the audience sitting there not clapping, telling the person next to you "that was really good. i enjoyed that a lot. they looked like they were genuinely having fun out there. what a special moment for the corps. there were like 20 snares out there. whys everyone going crazy around me, i wish they would just sit down" and the like for a minute straight)

good post, glory.

scott, i promise im not disagreeing with your personal right to do what you want after a show, im just amused by the extent and irony of your stoicism, especially considering you performed a show that featured one of the greatest examples of vocal fan appreciation of all time.

what would autumn leaves have been in '87 if the audience hadnt stood up and given a mid-show ovation for almost a minute? much less visibly special and memorable on dvd, and seemingly less emotional and impactful to those who were there. i cant imagine 134 of your corpsmates discussing the show afterwards and talking about how the ovation was one of the best moments of their lives, and you stoically remarking afterwards that you hadnt noticed because you were standing there waiting for the next piece to start. :)

(also wouldnt have been too fun to be in the audience sitting there not clapping, telling the person next to you "that was really good. i enjoyed that a lot. they looked like they were genuinely having fun out there. what a special moment for the corps. there were like 20 snares out there. whys everyone going crazy around me, i wish they would just sit down" and the like for a minute straight)

good post, glory.

scott, i promise im not disagreeing with your personal right to do what you want after a show, im just amused by the extent and irony of your stoicism, especially considering you performed a show that featured one of the greatest examples of vocal fan appreciation of all time.

I only had 127 corpsmates. Sorry, had to do it. Just trying to add some humor here. I respect your opinion. That's just the way I am. I actually probably didn't really notice the reaction after Autumn Leaves that year while it was happening, I was too focused on the show. Although, it was 20 years ago, I could be wrong. Or maybe I was thinking "How could Vince have dropped his freaking stick during the drum to drum!!" :P What you put in parenthesis made me chuckle. I'm not being smart, it was funny.

alright, glad to hear that, hooray for levity.

i dont remember having noticed the dropped stick, if it makes you feel better.

to sum up this thread..

applause = a natural human reaction to entertainment we enjoy.

if what we see does not provide enjoyment, we should still applaud even if it's forced and insincere because we otherwise might hurt some poor kids feelings afterall, they are not professionals.

so we can clap politely, applaud more enthusiatically, and/or throw small children and/or kitchen appliances. It's kind of a metered scale we can apply. Like holding up placards (4 - 10).

No, I haven't actually checked this...but something tells me that there are NOT forums for symphony goers, jazz club aficianados, Broadway fans, etc. where this same question is even asked. (Yes, I left out rock concerts deliberatly.) What sort of bizzaro parallel ettiquite universe do some of these non-clappers live in??? Would they sit on their hands even if it was their own kid performing in a show they didn't like? I mean...really!