Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

So.....I have a pretty significant drum corps video/dvd collection and have always wanted to bring this topic up. As I watch the performances.....I can't help but notice that for just about every corps performance....you see some fans not clapping at the conclusion of a corps show.

The question I would like to pose to everyone is.....

Is this flat out rude?

My answer is YES. Not clapping (Acknowledging) a corps efforts after they have finished their performance is rude...IMHO.

When you go to a concert hall....or similar show.....do you see people sitting down (On their hands) at the end of the show? How about a grade school Christmas show. Do you see parents not clapping for third graders because their performance did not reach them? No......Probably not. I am not saying you need to jump and scream for every corps performance.....but some form of acknowledgment is in order (I believe). Even if it is three small claps......

Thoughts ?????

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know fans pay to see shows and everything, but yeah, it's rude, and more than a little selfish, IMO. At least applaud the effort, even if you hate the show. I've never gone to a show with anybody who doesn't at least appreciate the work they see being done, even if they don't like it. I'd like to think my friends are pretty normal, too, not goody-two-shoes. :blush:

Unfortunatly not clapping is the only way for some corps staffs to "hear" fans displeasure for what they dish up. Booing is rude, not clapping is silent protest, a few claps is polite, clapping and cheering let's a corps know you love what they did.

Yeah, that in my opinion is rude. Clapping is to me a way of expressing either understanding or respect for what the kids from that corps or group have gone through to perform for us as an audience. Now if it is something I like or love then, a cheer or a standing ovation is called for but clapping is just a show of respect to me.

I actually do give raucous reactions to almost every corps I see. I clap after every single piece or feature, I always give standing ovation (I'm usually standing before the show is over), many times multiple standing ovations throughout the show (see Crown and SCV this year) and I do the whole fists in the air thing a whole bunch. Sometimes with some shows I don't give any reaction at all, based on objectionable content...but usually, I go ape****.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I'm of the opinion that you should applaud the effort, but there are definitely worse things you could do, so I generally don't have a problem with people sitting on their hands.