Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

to me, drum corps is a competitive sport, kind of like baseball... When the Red Sox hit home runs I don't applaud, but when the Yankees hit a single I'm on my feet. So I think if you DISlike a show you shouldn't applaud but that you shouldn't boo or make faces in disgust... just get ready for the next corp's performance and be happy that you're at the show to see corps X.

-Weedy

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. Why is it such a hassle to put your hands together a couple of times for a group of kids that have been on a field for 12 hours every day working to make their performance amazing for you? I just don't understand why it's such a big deal and why so many people have this block when it comes to clapping. It's not difficult, it's not uncomfortable, but it certainly helps the performers on the field want to do better for you.

This brings up a really good point. Maybe that's part of having no moral qualms about not clapping for corps over petty issues...they just have no understanding of how much effort goes into putting on a show, irregardless of whether or not they found it "tasteful," because they don't know what it is to march for a summer.

Permanent audience members who are too good to clap for certain corps must really have an ego I can't even begin to comprehend...as though they're too good to be bothered...

Edited by HoltonH178

:blush: Some of the people in here need to get off their high horses and show a little respect.

I have to agree with " Phillygwm " and also Tom Brace . I was also trying to figure out what all of you were talking about

this golfer clap thing until I started thinking and I reallized I myself and and all of my buddies had experienced just that !

THE DREADED GOLFERS CLAP and I yelled MAN WE SUCK ! Frank Avenelle was our corps director at the time and he was

literally foaming at the mouth he was so ###### ! So for what it's worth that little golf clap could have hurt us if we were a

bunch of woosies but it just made us mad at our selves and we just started working our##### off and did it ever pay off !

The moral of the story is if you mollycoddle these kids to much their going to think their better than they really are .

As for you " Hippos " get off your soap box this is THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA I don't let people tell me what to do ! :blush:

I know, as a member of a top 3 division 1 corps, hearing a crowd that is dead or refuses to clap is extremely disheartening.

We don't do it to win, we don't do it for the competition...it's entertainment. Corps feed off crowd reaction, especially during the show. Ever notice how a corps will play better when the audience is positive during the show? If you're not entertained, then why do we do this?

You might want to ask your show designers that question, not the audience.

I have to agree with " Phillygwm " and also Tom Brace . I was also trying to figure out what all of you were talking about

this golfer clap thing until I started thinking and I reallized I myself and and all of my buddies had experienced just that !

THE DREADED GOLFERS CLAP and I yelled MAN WE SUCK ! Frank Avenelle was our corps director at the time and he was

literally foaming at the mouth he was so ###### ! So for what it's worth that little golf clap could have hurt us if we were a

bunch of woosies but it just made us mad at our selves and we just started working our##### off and did it ever pay off !

The moral of the story is if you mollycoddle these kids to much their going to think their better than they really are .

As for you " Hippos " get off your soap box this is THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA I don't let people tell me what to do ! :blush:

haha ive never heard the term "mollycoddle" before, i think i might have to borrow that one if its okay with you :)

I should also point out the irony that many people on this board are complaining about the decreasing number of drum corps. You think that if those smaller corps got the ovations that the bigger ones did more marching-age people would want to march with those corps? I do.

So wait a minute bucko...you mean if I would have just clapped...more corps would still be here?

And I thought all this time I had to click my heels three times.

Hey, thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know how important putting two hands together could be.

So, when ECJ asks me for a donation this year to help sponsor their corps, I'll just clap to them over the phone...ok?

I keep reading this thread from the mindset of a once performer and it reads to me: "You better clap or you'll scar these kids for life!". I never cared if anyone didn't clap. Then again I never noticed either. I was too busy busting my butt on the field and shoving the show down the audience's throats. They paid to see a heck of a show and we gave it to them.

I agree with the poster above who said they wished the staff didn't hide behind the kids.

That was me and I agree 100%. The years I marched we were more concerned with military bearing and tradition ( and trying to run over a judge or two ) than how big the applause was. Yes, applause pumped us up but only from the point that it was related to GE, back when GE was about crowd reaction.

And all this crap about the "poor kids". BS. Those kids CHOOSE to march with that corps. They go into it fully knowing what the staff is about and the type of show they will do. This is no longer about 5 different corps out of one city where half of them are just a street gang with horns and drums, these kids are mostly college students that make the choice to audition with a certain corps.

Forgive me, but what these kids do is much better than anything I ever did both physically and musically.

This is marchings major league, NOT the special olympics.

Yes, kids PAY but isn't it now called tuition ? Ahhhh so they get something for their money, education.

If I don't like a trend certain corps are taking, then the kids that PAY THEM to afford to take that direction are aiding them in that goal.

Sorta like democrats and republicans. Yet I believe most of us fall somewhere in the middle. If you add the republicans that lean left and the democrats that lean right together, what a wonderful world it could be.

But then you have the applaude police.

Lets face it. We ALL come from music programs all over the world. Most of them play at football games. Most get booed by the other teams fans much worse than ANYTHING that has happened in drum corps.

What the hell is the deal about not clapping ?

There are times I don't want to stand up after a corps performance but I need to stand for a few minutes to get blood in my feet again. Do I get extra credit for that ?

With all the problems facing drum corps at this time we are worried about peoples rights to clap or not to clap ?

" I BELIEVE " this, is but a small tic in a 10,000 point system