Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

Email? Letters? Who knows how many emails and letters and blog comments the director of the Cadets has gotten over the past 3 years saying how much they hate their shows?? Doesn't seem to deter him!

But not clapping will? I was responding to a poster who said that not clapping or booing was the ONLY way for a fan to express their displeasure. I pointed out some other methods, that's all. Didn't say they would necessarily have any effect, but not clapping or booing would have even LESS effect, imo.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to clap, or I'm not going to, and that's completely up to me. In certain situations, I agree that it would be mostly appropriate for everyone to clap, but I respect a person's decision to not clap if that's what they deem appropriate for that specific situation. To say that you must clap, or that you must do anything, or that you're being disrespectful for doing this or for not doing that lies too close to moral absolutism for my tastes.

I agree. To HAVE to applaud everyone (good or bad) would be like going to a soccer or baseball league that doesn't keep score so that no one has to deal with losing. The world is full of losers. Those that learn from it become stronger. This is how we become winners. To be a winner we learn focus, dedication, and teamwork. We practice, we sweat ,we bond. We become family. If I don't enjoy a Corps show or performance. I will NOT wildly clap for them. I will politely clap for their effort, but the Corps is entitled to an HONEST evaluation.

So let's say members of Corps X work their butts off day in and out to perform a show that isn't designed very well. You're saying that makes them losers, and unworthy of recognition? Yeah that makes sense...

You're point seems valid if the corps seems to not care what they're doing, and just putting a mess out on the field so they can get it over with. I have never ever seen that happen.

(BTW I'm referring to the post directly above mine, didn't feel it necessary to quote them)

Edited by DKracing

So let's say members of Corps X work their butts off day in and out to perform a show that isn't designed very well. You're saying that makes them losers, and unworthy of recognition? Yeah that makes sense...

You're point seems valid if the corps seems to not care what they're doing, and just putting a mess out on the field so they can get it over with. I have never ever seen that happen.

(BTW I'm referring to the post directly above mine, didn't feel it necessary to quote them)

Seems that we alll have our mixed feeling about corps "X".

( rimshot )

Might surprise you...but I agree. While I might wish that folks would find it in their hearts to appluad the young people who put theri lives into doing what I did, and some such as yourself still do...if you don't feel it...don't clap...fine by me. The majority will applaud because they want to. No one should feel coerced to react a certain way like that.

You know, it just might be freezing in hell when we agree on something.

Seems that we alll have our mixed feeling about corps "X".

( rimshot )

I should start a corps called Corps X, so whenever soemone uses it in an example I can jump in and say "HEY what are you saying about Corps X?!??"

But really no, I shouldn't start a corps, that'd be silly :)

I don't think people should have to clap for just anything that's put out on the football field at a drum corps show because its a "drum corps"... I do think every marching member deserves recognition for their hard work and dedication to learning. It sucks that the members aren't appreciated because of design problems that they have no control over...

Anyway, I remember someone said something about BDC not getting the same reaction as BD... well actually, I'm pretty sure that both at Family Day and Stanford the crowd went WAY more crazy over BDC than us :P

Perform for YOU ?

Ohhh so you're a judge ?

Do judges clap after each performance ?

( sarcasm OFF )

But think about it, it's really mostly performing for the judges, the people in the stands just foot part of the bill. If One person was to put up $10,000 for a show ( $7500 to the winner, the rest split the other $2500 ) with no judged but the guy putting up the money, which corps would go ?

wow. youre completely serious, arent you? thats really disappointing to think that someone who follows this activity truly feels that way.

Now on a different but interesting topic:

Our high school graduation is held in a church and it is asked of everyone there not to clap or yell when their childs names is announced and please wait till all names have been announced.

This was brought into being because it;s the house of the Lord AND because sometimes you can't hear the next child's name announced.

The band has started the tradition of just STANDING when it's a graduate of the band, in silent respect of thet person.

But every year there are some people who have to clap, scream and whistle no matter what.

No matter what crowd, what venue, you will always have a few non comformists

As far as drum corps goes, the worst behavior I saw was at a show in Atlanta when two rednecks were screaming at the top of their lungs during Cadets AS show " Get the ### off the field, we don't want fags in drum corps" at the ballet dancer" . It wasn't until several of us got up and confronted the two guys and forced them out of the stadium ( with the help of security) that quiet was restored. Now to me, THAT's rude.

Anyone remember that ?