I was there between 11:00 and 12:00 this morning...

You're right about "Slumcoast"!

Heh...

The Mgr wanted me to change the view on a couple cameras - because the customers were stealing candy bars!

Like she said, "With unemployment etc. I could maybe understand if they were taking food to feed their kids - but candy bars!?"

(Shaking head)

yeah. they are something else over there.

and yet when you veture out in the other section of DCP and say these things they tell you your old, it's different, evolved, your a dinosaur and know nothing. they don't know that it's all that was that allows them to do what they do now. i love the old stories and even as a kid i did. but now as i've been told else where " your an old fart. shut up" sad isn't it?

You nailed it, Don!

To some of them, the "Good Old Days" were in the '90s. Not their fault, I guess - but some day they will get the same brush-off...

Hopefully those who think this way now (the exhuberance of youth,) will have a change of heart - and maybe a new appreciation - for folks like you who were part of *their* History...

I've found, through some posts on our Loudcity page and emails to the Station, that the older they get the more History means to them...

Like my kids tell me all the time: the older we get, the smarter you get!

Heh...

You nailed it, Don!

To some of them, the "Good Old Days" were in the '90s. Not their fault, I guess - but some day they will get the same brush-off...

Hopefully those who think this way now (the exhuberance of youth,) will have a change of heart - and maybe a new appreciation - for folks like you who were part of *their* History...

I've found, through some posts on our Loudcity page and emails to the Station, that the older they get the more History means to them...

Like my kids tell me all the time: the older we get, the smarter you get!

Heh...

yeah ron your right on all points. i guess i was different. when i was young i wanted to hear all the oldtimers tell me their stories. i wanted to know about the history of all the corps and the great contest's before my time. i thought those who came before me were drumcorps gods. i had so much respect for them and i tried to be like them. i dunno maybe i was odd. or maybe the attitudes of the youngsters today is different. i guess that's why i love this thread. i love the stories of the past.

yeah ron your right on all points. i guess i was different. when i was young i wanted to hear all the oldtimers tell me their stories. i wanted to know about the history of all the corps and the great contest's before my time. i thought those who came before me were drumcorps gods. i had so much respect for them and i tried to be like them. i dunno maybe i was odd. or maybe the attitudes of the youngsters today is different. i guess that's why i love this thread. i love the stories of the past.

"What's WRONG with these kids today?!?! LOL! 19 years old and they have ALL the available

knowlege in the known universe.... untill the computer crashes....smarter, faster, wiser, better...

How inept we "oldsters" must appear to them! And let's not forget their command of the English language: "Like, she went there and I was like: really?! I TOTALLY got in her face... like

,ya know..My whole entire life is AWESOME!" :doh: .... on and on untill you just can't stand it anymore! LOL!

Trust me Don... we have nothing to worry about.

(read this post carefully. It is sarcastic, intentionally... but only to those who would call me a "dinosaur"!) :doh:

"What's WRONG with these kids today?!?! LOL! 19 years old and they have ALL the available

knowlege in the known universe.... untill the computer crashes....smarter, faster, wiser, better...

How inept we "oldsters" must appear to them! And let's not forget their command of the English language: "Like, she went there and I was like: really?! I TOTALLY got in her face... like

,ya know..My whole entire life is AWESOME!" :doh: .... on and on untill you just can't stand it anymore! LOL!

Trust me Don... we have nothing to worry about.

(read this post carefully. It is sarcastic, intentionally... but only to those who would call me a "dinosaur"!) :doh:

sounds just like my 17 year old grand daughter. i love her but she always say's " grandpa you don't understand ". the older i get the stupider i get..heh.

I hear ya' ! :doh:

'Bear...I think the vast majority of kids marching in DC today really *do* appreciate their history and the embodiment of it...which is us! It seems when we run into one or two disrespectful younger folks on the net, the disparity is magnified, neh? The last time I marched was with the Kingsmen Alumni and the final push was Firebird right out of the '74 show...well, we could see all the age-outs in a special lower section of the stands at the Rose Bowl and they were throwing not only babies but *each-other* (it prolly helped that Phantom used that tune in their show and those kids were leading the way...heh...OH, maybe 140 G bugles had something to do with it too!)! I dunno, but I'm still teaching and have contact with the new generation and they seem very respectful...maybe with just a little eye-roll... :doh: ...heck, usually I've got 'em by the short hairs anyhow...LOL...

cg

a lot of kids do have the respect gang. sadly, too many of those teaching them don't

Well, we didn't have video game platforms, Cable TV, the Internet, YouTube, Facebook, iPods et al vying for our attention during our every waking hour. Information Overload, and the resulting shortened attention span, have made this a different world.

If we truly wish to impart our love of Drum Corps History, we need to understand their Sensory Overload - and perhaps give them small 10-second "sound bytes" instead of lenghty dissertations.

And the worst thing we can do is simply dismiss them as the "unwashed masses" - once we alienate them, we have no chance of our History being preserved.

(Some of them will be the "Keepers of the Flame" after we're gone!)

Instead, we should calmly insert a little History, in a relevant manner, in a thread whenever the opportunity arises - and wait for some of them to "get it".

(It's working on our "How It All Began Show" on Sundays - there are more "kids" listening in than one would expect!)

Patience - and Respect - is the key:

Open their minds, their hearts will follow.

But I Could Be Completely Wrong...

Heh...