so for those of us -6 in 63 and 3 in 72, can anyone elaborate?

I could, but then I'd have to shoot you...

Well Jeff, I can, but it could take some time. Needless to say, it was a very competitive season and any of the top 4 corps could have taken the title. Archie was about as ready as we could ever be.........our mantra was (from Rip Bernert) "do the job that they can't take away from you".....well we, and many others thought we did that job. The corps left it all on the field with a phenominal performance. There was a rain delay and other issues before announcement of placement. I was standing by the left field gate with a couple of kids from Miami Vanguard when they got to "and in 4th place with a score of..." from Post 979 in Upper Darby, the Archer Epler Musketeers". I was in shock. A loud chorus of boos from the stands. I lost it right there...inconsolate disbelief. Our score was lower than our first of the season. Many things happened in the next few hours....Sky folks came over to the hotelto mingle and console....Pepe was trying to get us /up/ with a chant of "4th place corps....4th place corps"....I was livid at that.....Lefty, Wink, Bucky and many others sat and talked for hours....many of us didn't sleep, but walked the beach, sat and talked, cried together and in small groups.....whatever.

As it turned out there was a discrepancy with one of the judges sheets. There were apparently erasures that had us well below over half of the competitors in brass. Many years later Rip and I wre speaking of the incident and he confirmed that the judge in question met with him and swore that any changes were not his doing. I believe Rip was convinced of the mans' sincerity.

Many years later I attempted to secure the judging records, including all score sheets, from the AL and was told that they were lost in a fire. However, a review was conducted by someone and we were awarded 3rd place........a numerical error.......yeah....

OK, that's my sad tale of woe.....that one incident was instrumental in the decline of the corps as we knew it and as we loved it. All for One and One for All

Jim

Yankee Rebels show and Memorial Stadium. The angles there were enough to make you second guess your own drill. Baseball stadiums had their issues and weren't very user friendly. I recall Shea Stadium in 64 for that Daily News contest. In prelims we were a mile away from the stands which was prolly good cause we were horrible that day.

Roosevelt might have been the best baseball field I ever marched on. We marched a place in Syracuse a few times and I think that was pretty good or too long ago to remember any issues. You upstate guys would know the place.

memorial stadium was the worst baseball field i ever marched on. being a drummer the pitchers mound is where we lived. and the angles we so bad you couldn't tell if you were in sinc with the horns

syracuse was mcarther stadium. the angles were bad there to. always a lot of phasing problems. and the field had bad angles. but i likedit cause the crowd always loved us.

I could, but then I'd have to shoot you...

dude i'm admin for TOB, with an outdoor championships coming up with Frankenstorm approaching. I'll take the bullet

Well Jeff, I can, but it could take some time. Needless to say, it was a very competitive season and any of the top 4 corps could have taken the title. Archie was about as ready as we could ever be.........our mantra was (from Rip Bernert) "do the job that they can't take away from you".....well we, and many others thought we did that job. The corps left it all on the field with a phenominal performance. There was a rain delay and other issues before announcement of placement. I was standing by the left field gate with a couple of kids from Miami Vanguard when they got to "and in 4th place with a score of..." from Post 979 in Upper Darby, the Archer Epler Musketeers". I was in shock. A loud chorus of boos from the stands. I lost it right there...inconsolate disbelief. Our score was lower than our first of the season. Many things happened in the next few hours....Sky folks came over to the hotelto mingle and console....Pepe was trying to get us /up/ with a chant of "4th place corps....4th place corps"....I was livid at that.....Lefty, Wink, Bucky and many others sat and talked for hours....many of us didn't sleep, but walked the beach, sat and talked, cried together and in small groups.....whatever.

As it turned out there was a discrepancy with one of the judges sheets. There were apparently erasures that had us well below over half of the competitors in brass. Many years later Rip and I wre speaking of the incident and he confirmed that the judge in question met with him and swore that any changes were not his doing. I believe Rip was convinced of the mans' sincerity.

Many years later I attempted to secure the judging records, including all score sheets, from the AL and was told that they were lost in a fire. However, a review was conducted by someone and we were awarded 3rd place........a numerical error.......yeah....

OK, that's my sad tale of woe.....that one incident was instrumental in the decline of the corps as we knew it and as we loved it. All for One and One for All

Jim

wow. Thanks for sharing!

Jim

Although a bitter ending for Jim and his corps, I find this interesting history and am glad he was able to share. Those were the days where anything could and did happen but it is still our history.

Thanks Jim

Edited by gsksun4

"Handguns on the field? drinking and smoking on the starting line, turning busses over"? Gee... Maybe I was safer in Vietnam, back in 72/73?* :blink: lolol!

Everyone believed the starting gun used blanks, but on the real side of things, it was the ony way the judges could make it out of the stadium on some nights. :w00t:

Everyone believed the starting gun used blanks, but on the real side of things, it was the ony way the judges could make it out of the stadium on some nights. :w00t:

and on a very few occasions... they DIDN'T make it out...

most famous of which upstate was Herkimer NY... an Alden Miller special panel... lol

after the audience and most of the corps showed there distaste for the results, the judges fearing something might happen left the field and were followed by - well? The Brigadiers... almost the entire corps... so they took refuge in a tool shed...

BIG MISTAKE!

the tool shed was quickly turned over... good thing for them it wasn't a porta potty...

this of course, was PRE DCA

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 1