Still nicer than the invite I got to rejoin Westshore when they reformed in 1984 after Hershman left. On the way to the Hershey show and see a corps practicing at a High School off of 322. Pulled in to check and seeing it was Sky decided to watch. There I see a long time member and get the greeting of "Hey ####### a bunch of guys are forming a parade corps to make money to try to get back on the field. If you can ##### play or even if you can't #### play, get your #### ### to the Island (practice site). And you #### well BETTER show up or I'l track your ###### #### down and ###### MAKE you show up".

The guy making the threats wouldn't hurt a fly which made the whole thing more surreal and funny as Hades......

And that time Ray I DID know what I was getting into so color me stupid. But I never dreamed that day at the HS that I would be doing Honor Guard at Prelims a few months later. :wow:

I guess I don't know the significance of Greenwood Lake and Skyliners but it sure brought back memories for me... My last remaining uncle (now in his 90's) bought a home on Greenwood Like in the late 50's... He sold it in the 90's ... the home he'd bought for a few thousand dollars sold for 7 figures... amazing... in 1969 on our honeymoon, my bride and I walked all around Greenwood Lake on the ice... completely frozen... anyway... amazing place...

I guess I don't know the significance of Greenwood Lake and Skyliners but it sure brought back memories for me... My last remaining uncle (now in his 90's) bought a home on Greenwood Like in the late 50's... He sold it in the 90's ... the home he'd bought for a few thousand dollars sold for 7 figures... amazing... in 1969 on our honeymoon, my bride and I walked all around Greenwood Lake on the ice... completely frozen... anyway... amazing place...

The Greenwood Lake AL Post played host to the Skyliners for their spring "weekend" rehearsal each May ... it was the weekend where the drill was finalized and final cuts were made ... it was a ritualistic weekend ... a "right of passage" for rookies ... and a Saturday night "showtime" where corps members showed their "unique" talents on stage ... naturally, Friday and Saturday nights also meant venturing into town to visit the local watering holes ... Andre's was one of the favorite spots and things got quite interesting on one or more occasions ... Greenwood Lake was also the place where the famous Portrait In Brass album was recorded by Fleetwood in 1962 ... Priester can fill in the details (he was there as a kid) but, the short story is that the recording session took place after an all out brawl at Andre's the night before ...

Andy "I have my own Greenwood Lake tales" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Ray F,

I couldn't leg one out even when I played ball back then. Ask McGuinness, who ran up my back rounding third when he smacked one down the line one day at St. Francis Prep. I had started from second.

So many of our compatriots who marched during the "Winky Era" are wont to be dismissive of today's more choreographic appoach to drum corps but none of us could handle the footwork of the present. Not a prayer.

We did, however, play with a far more lusty and robust sound, and it had little to do with the key of G. Winky was a man born for the times, who knew he belonged in front of that kind of intensity.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

If Mr. Siglow were here, he could chime in on Wink’s earlier years when he and Ralph Shur were the dancin’ cymbal players for the Big Red Band.

I recall spring of 67 when the Sunrisers did the Greenwood Lake post thing and those crummy little cabins on the lake where we got tanked on Saturday night and had early practice Sunday morning with a hangover. There’s something grand about youth when you can polish off all that liquor and play a bugle at 10am the next morning with yer stomach inside out and yer eyes rolling out of your skull.

John Sasso had a way of making ya play well even when you’re turning green.

It's been a while, so, I'll put this back on top for any newcomers...

Please Read Before You Post
If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)
If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.
When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.
Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:
The *Guess Who* Mailbox
Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..
Guess Who the man in the middle is # 506 ?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3792/11587632163_274bbeaaa7_o.jpg

If Mr. Siglow were here, he could chime in on Wink’s earlier years when he and Ralph Shur were the dancin’ cymbal players for the Big Red Band.

I recall spring of 67 when the Sunrisers did the Greenwood Lake post thing and those crummy little cabins on the lake where we got tanked on Saturday night and had early practice Sunday morning with a hangover. There’s something grand about youth when you can polish off all that liquor and play a bugle at 10am the next morning with yer stomach inside out and yer eyes rolling out of your skull.

The Dancing Cymbals ... now there's a throwback to the 50's ... the guy in the pic was definitely one of 'em ... he took over as DM for Sky in 1960 and a new chapter in their fabled history was started ... literally ... he was prototype for that era with the likes of McConkey at Archie and Hooten at the I-Men, YR and Reilly (hey, the guy got around!) ...

:-)

• Like 1

i think Mr. siglow was given his DCP eviction notice