Lisko swings and that ball is going, going, GONE!

Andy wins the pennant! Andy wins the pennant! Andy wins the pennant! BTW, I absolutely HATED Russ Hodges for those words when his Giants beat my Dodgers as the" Staten Island Scot" hit THAT home run! Wait 'til next year. sigh

Went to a dinner here on the Island for Bobby Thomson and showed him his picture in my Mom's Curtis HS yearbook. He was a couple of years behind her class.

Back from Wildwood (Sunday evening) Today was a day scheduled for a little rest which turned into a "take Vickie to the vet" day... (Our 14 yr old Terrier. She's OK, just not not sure I am yet - $110 later. :shutup: )

Still have to upload pics and videos from WW.... Maybe tomorrow? (Well, it's already "tomorrow" heh)

Just the mention of his name brings a smile to me - I was just a snot nosed kid and when he saw my Brigadier uniform, I was his best friend... He may have bled BS Golden blood, but he always considered himself a Brigadier... Bobby Thompson... one of the few who truly changed the activity... even if he couldn't hit home runs...

• Like 2

Back from Wildwood (Sunday evening) Today was a day scheduled for a little rest which turned into a "take Vickie to the vet" day... (Our 14 yr old Terrier. She's OK, just not not sure I am yet - $110 later. :shutup: )

Either you got off cheap or I need to use vets in your area..... 14 and still going.... :thumbup:

Had to take "that" final tip to the vet a few days before our Bichons 14th B-day.....

Just the mention of his name brings a smile to me - I was just a snot nosed kid and when he saw my Brigadier uniform, I was his best friend... He may have bled BS Golden blood, but he always considered himself a Brigadier... Bobby Thompson... one of the few who truly changed the activity... even if he couldn't hit home runs...

you had to be a drummer to be his BEST friend. sorry but true. i knew the man.and you had to be really good to jam with him on drums.

Time for another can of worms with a photo:

The pic of Blessed Sacraments LaRocca and Kennedy accepting "The Silver Drum" award in the link in Ironlips post above has a DM behind them that looks an awful lot like Alan Brinker, the 1963 DM of The Chicago Cavaliers.

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/2007/04/chicago-cavaliers-alan-brinker.html

Only the Cavaliers weren't in Miami for the 63 Legion Nationals.

Anybody guess who that DM is or what corps he's from?

Edited by gsksun4

Well, here's the scores and placings from the '63 A.L. Nationals. Some choices can be eliminated right off the bat, but other than that, I have no clue as to who the Cavie look-alike is.

1. Blessed Sacrament 86.416

2. Garfield 83.775

3. St. Lucy's 77.240

4. Muchachos 74.800

5. Magnificent Yankees 73.916

6. Argonne Rebels 72.263

7. Miami Vanguard 71.456

8. Marion Cadets 70.183

9. Austin Lancers 65.000

10. Katahdin Rangers, Maine 62.530

So, who is it?????

Thanks for the history lesson folks. Not living in NJ/NY area I didn't get any NYC stations until I moved and got cable ca 1981. OK, my central PA folks had a big antenna and living on the mountain for it was Philly, Baltimore and a DC station we could pick up. So for me it was Brooks Robinson calling the Bal-mer Or-ils. Then I moved and until the local cable company got big and dropped local stations for specialty channels, got to see WOR and PIX. Yeap, Scooter Rizzuto on PIX with Bill White and who ever did the Mets on WOR. Watched Yanks more cuz I like Scooter and the gangs style and well.... what did Steinbrenner do this time..... :wow:

But... being a hockey fan it was Islanders on PIX and Rangers on WOR. Still a bit of a Rangers fan so happy they are in the Finals but.....

PS - Was it Mel Allen or Red Barber who got fired for talking abount the very low attendance at a last game of the year Yankee game?

starting in the late 70's we had Brooks and the O's, Kiner with the Mets and of course Scooter and the Yanks, as well as Harry and Whitey on the Phils games.

heaven

Edited by Jeff Ream