tom it may have been an early game. say late september. it was mid october when vince did the purge. but i didn't go to that show.

I only remember playing in Three Rivers once... we stayed at Duquense University on Saturday night after the game, then on Sunday drove to Cleveland and stayed at Case Western Reserve University compliments of their famous alumus and future Crusader Corps Director Dr. Vic Genberg... Then Monday night football we did the Cleveland Browns game where we tore the place apart... famous story alert!!!!

They had us do the first half of the show and then during concert we got to sit down and relax while they turned off the lights and shot off fireworks... it was a dead and warm summer night... when they asked us to resume, all the smoke had settled on the field ... we couldn't even see Alan Smythe... Out of concert, we again (both 72 and 73) played Battle hymn... the almost 100,000 people couldn't even see the corps... we went backfield and turned for the big push forward and they still couldn't see us... then - out of no where, we lifted the A flag up in the air and she appeared to be floating on a cloud and brought her floating forward to the stirring push in Battle Hymn... The entire place went NUTS.... As we were leaving, the half time director for the browns ran up to Vince and screamed that it was the best half time entertainment they had ever had... They treated us like royalty...

Then - back to Three Rivers Stadium - we had to practically sue The Steelers to get paid - I remember helping Vince write a letter to the league office complaining about Pittsburgh... Oh and some guy got shot in the stands during the game... the place was like fort knox and we got pushed around pretty good... I did get to stand next to Mean Joe Green and he really was a BIG man...

Oh and Irish Name? You're funny.... but when I was a radio announcer I had to use a M.......................

I only remember playing in Three Rivers once... we stayed at Duquense University on Saturday night after the game, then on Sunday drove to Cleveland and stayed at Case Western Reserve University compliments of their famous alumus and future Crusader Corps Director Dr. Vic Genberg... Then Monday night football we did the Cleveland Browns game where we tore the place apart... famous story alert!!!!

They had us do the first half of the show and then during concert we got to sit down and relax while they turned off the lights and shot off fireworks... it was a dead and warm summer night... when they asked us to resume, all the smoke had settled on the field ... we couldn't even see Alan Smythe... Out of concert, we again (both 72 and 73) played Battle hymn... the almost 100,000 people couldn't even see the corps... we went backfield and turned for the big push forward and they still couldn't see us... then - out of no where, we lifted the A flag up in the air and she appeared to be floating on a cloud and brought her floating forward to the stirring push in Battle Hymn... The entire place went NUTS.... As we were leaving, the half time director for the browns ran up to Vince and screamed that it was the best half time entertainment they had ever had... They treated us like royalty...

Then - back to Three Rivers Stadium - we had to practically sue The Steelers to get paid - I remember helping Vince write a letter to the league office complaining about Pittsburgh... Oh and some guy got shot in the stands during the game... the place was like fort knox and we got pushed around pretty good... I did get to stand next to Mean Joe Green and he really was a BIG man...

Oh and Irish Name? You're funny.... but when I was a radio announcer I had to use a M.......................

any body remember the commercial " mikey likes it" ?

any body remember the commercial " mikey likes it" ?

"I'm not going to try it, give it to Mikey he likes everything" - "Hey Mikey! He likes it!"

(nope, it doesn't ring a bell.....w00t.gif)

Please Read Before You Post

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..

Guess Who # 476 ?

1. Guess the Corps? Rochester Crusaders

2. Guess the year? 1972 or 1973

3. Guess man on left? Mike Dempsey

4. Guess man in middle?

5. Guess man on right?

I feel better... it's '73...

Only thing that confused me was that the guy on the right I thought had left with the other 25 or so from the '72 purge ... I actually thought he played in the '73 revival of the Brigadiers with many of those 25 or so who left Cru at the end of '72 but I guess I was mistaken...

Mr. Dempsey on the left (we still need his first name) was definitely a survivor and '73 was his last year in drum corps (pretty sure of that) before he went out into the world and made his mark... he parleyed moving to Orlando into a home remodeling business and then expanded due to his thespian interests in Orlando into the acting field where one of his close friends was Dom Deluise... recently, he's purchased a ranch in Costa Rico and had a girl friend who lives in Moscow where she is a medical doctor... He travels the world a lot... so like I said before... he's one of the more colorful figures to come out of Rochester Drum Corps...

Just to keep the record straight, some of us didn't "leave" the Crusaders, we were asked not to come back. 'member Vinnie was bringing in the six million dollar drumline from St. Joe's

Edited by ereese

All three of these guys are great in their own way.

Just to keep the record straight, some of us didn't "leave" the Crusaders, we were asked not to come back. 'member Vinnie was bringing in the six million dollar drumline from St. Joe's

yea ed that's why we call it " THE PURGE"

So ... was that the catalyst for Phoenix in 74? ... When did they actually start forming? ... Every corps has a story ... what turned out to be their demise?

Don't mean to hijack the guesses but, stuff like this is interesting ... especially to the non-Upstate crew ...

:-)

So ... was that the catalyst for Phoenix in 74? ... When did they actually start forming? ... Every corps has a story ... what turned out to be their demise?

Don't mean to hijack the guesses but, stuff like this is interesting ... especially to the non-Upstate crew ...

:-)

Yup.

There was a bunch from the drumline (oh BTW, we took high drums at Nationals when we won in '72), a few leads, a couple of melli's and some guard folks, who weren't "invited" to come back went and marched with 'Cuse in '73. And of course what happened to them was interesting that year, but that is another story. Went back to Rochester in '74 and formed a parade corps called FUV. You can guess what the first two letters were for, the V is for Vinnie (RIP, no disrespect, years later we buried the hatchet and made up). And of course the rest is history in '75 and '76.

FUN TIMES :thumbup:/>/>

My only concern is, if cooler heads could have prevailed,(mine included) and we could have kept everyone in Roch.....####!!!!! But then we wouldn't have had all the fun that we DID have.

The guy on the right, Dick Barge, fabulous hornplayer, and absolutely/without a doubt one of the most out-of-control people I have ever known in my life. Still love him and see him occasionally....still crazy after all these years. How he does it, I'll never know. To quote Tommy-boy, "I've

seen a lot #### in my life, but that was awesome!!!!!"

Edited by ereese