Carman taught St. Ignatius, I believe.

Let's see, there were The Blue Hornets (Lindenhurst's other corps), The North Bellmore Fire Department Flames (Ponzo's unit, I think), The Vianney Knights (Merrick), The Seaford Golden Hawks (Tom "Bunyon" Mc Carthy's alma mater), The Medford Grenadiers (where Steve Buglino designed drill), The Massapequa Redmen (Jack Graven's corps), The Satellites (whence Bob Murphy sprang)...etc.

Man, Long Island grew tons of corps. It must have been the water.

There's one that hasn't been mentioned. I think they were the Red Devils from Bay Shore, LI..

We were reminded of them while on the starting line of the 64 Jr. World Open Finals at Hedges Stadium.

Sayville Blue Jays; West Sayville Golden Eagles...

Yah. Hard to remember them all. Just think here in Jersey. Newark had 5 Corps at the same time. One or two National Contenders. Late '50s to mid '1960s. "Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights", "St. Lucy's Cadets", "Woodsiders", "St. Joe's Iron Bound", "St. Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers". . and you could have had a Circuit with Just Newark . (ADD just the Towns/Cities that touch the Newark border and you could of had about 10 Corps Circuit.)

Yah. Hard to remember them all. Just think here in Jersey. Newark had 5 Corps at the same time. One or two National Contenders. Late '50s to mid '1960s. "Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights", "St. Lucy's Cadets", "Woodsiders", "St. Joe's Iron Bound", "St. Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers". . and you could have had a Circuit with Just Newark . (ADD just the Towns/Cities that touch the Newark border and you could of had about 10 Corps Circuit.)

Not sure when they started, but I competed in a GSC corps in 68/69 against St Martin's Troubadors, another Newark corps.

Mike

I do not remember them. But being in Jersey. We sure were Spoiled. Remember also had just up the road apiece in any direction. We HAD "Garfield Cadets", "Patterson Cadets", "St. Vincent's Cadets" and St. Patricks Cadets. ( not to mention 10, 15, or MORE within 20 miles of Newark. When we, in the rest of the New Jersey, had a GOAL of getting into the Top 5 at States in those days.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Mike

I do not remember them. But being in Jersey. We sure were Spoiled. Remember also had just up the road apiece in any direction. We HAD "Garfield Cadets", "Patterson Cadets", "St. Vincent's Cadets" and St. Patricks Cadets. ( not to mention 10, 15, or MORE within 20 miles of Newark. When we, in the rest of the New Jersey, had a GOAL of getting into the Top 5 at States in those days.

I competed against all but St. Vinney's from Bayonne. Newark was almost a bi-weekly stop in the early 60's. Newark Schools Stadium always on the list. We went by that Ballantine Beer Brewery many times I recall.

I also remember (Mike D's?) Hilltoppers corps show in Livingston, NJ., Music On the March I think it was called. Always great corps in that one, but sad because it meant close to the end of the season.

Edited by gsksun4

Ooh - just remembered (mostly) another one from Uniondale LINY (where the - gasp - NYJets train at Hofstra and only a mile from where Sunrisers practiced at Billy Mitchell Field - the Red Coat Grenadiers from Uniondale.

Additionally, many many villages on the Island had small PBC corps (Police Boys' Club). My first ever teaching job was at the Herricks PBC Drum and Bugle Corps - a gig Ernie Fesler got me when I was 15.

I competed against all but St. Vinney's from Bayonne. Newark was almost a bi-weekly stop in the early 60's. Newark Schools Stadium always on the list. We went by that Ballantine Beer Brewery many times I recall.

I also remember (Mike D's?) Hilltoppers corps show in Livingston, NJ., Music On the March I think it was called. Always great corps in that one, but sad because it meant close to the end of the season.

Yup...the Livingston VFW-sponsored Hilltoppers were a decent level Garden State Circuit corps in the early 60's that hosted a fine show at the end of the season with a lot of the biggies. My dad signed me up in 1964; I marched in the Hilltoppers feeder corps as a 10-year-old-going-on-11. The first competition I ever saw was the Hilltoppers show in 1964, where I was a runner, siting in a chair on the sideline and running out to pick up a judge's sheet between each corps.

Sadly, VFW internal politics tore the corps apart around 1965, and the main corps pulled out of the VFW to become the Imperial Guardsmen, and those of us in the feeder became the only Hilltoppers...we were a parade corps only. My dad made me stay in the Hilltoppers (most of my friends had gone over the the Guardsmen) until after the 67 season, when he realized we were never going to be a field corps, and he then let me join the Guardsmen for the 68 season.

Mike

St Martin's and St Andrew's Bridgemen had a huge on-field fight at the GSC champs retreat in 69, and the St Martin's moderator immediately disbanded the corps.