Hmmm ... now I'm not sure if Tiny was with the Lindenaires or the Islanders (the 7-Up corps) ... it got to a point where they had to roll him around in a wheelchair at shows ...

:-)

Lindenaires

I don't remember much about the "Lindenair's". Heck for a while I thought they were from Linden, NJ, (maybe because I was from Jersey)

BUT, unlike Selden Cadet's that got sponsored by Pepsi. (they just added a Pepsi bottle cap Patch on one sleeve and a Pepsi Flag). The "Islanders" had those Kelly Green and Orange Uniforms. You could not miss or forget them.

There (Long Island) had a lot of Corps back then. I bet, Almost enough to have a Circuit of their own. ( Queensmen, Selden Cadets, Floyd Bennet, St. Ignatius, Royaleers, Islanders, Linenairs, too name some. Then add Seniors Sunrisers, Etc.)

So we did have a circuit - the Long Island Circuit, for the corps that were either not up to the task or the travel of the Greater New York Circuit.

Babylon Islanders; Smithtown Freelancers; Medford Grenadiers; Centereach Saxon Knights; Oceanside Legionnaires; Bellmore Thunderbolts; Lindenhurst Lindenaires. OLMM Orbits; Scarlet Lancers (Hollis Queens); OLC Ramblers; Later maybe a corps from Huntington, LI; Don't think the Kings Park Kingsmen did the Long Island Circuit but I may be wrong - the circuit continued on after I went overseas. There are undoubtedly a couple more.

Instructors like Hy; Ernie Fesler; Ralph Parkhill; Don Freising; Eric Perilloux; Bill & Lil Lindy; Teddy Sasso; Bill Gallagher; Ray Nichols; Bob Bunce (oy vey) don't remember a lot of the marching (M&M) guys.

Wow Ray, now that you're retired your posting at normal hours! Do you ever dream of Whoville in the wee hours?

Instructors like Hy; Ernie Fesler; Ralph Parkhill; Don Freising; Eric Perilloux; Bill & Lil Lindy; Teddy Sasso; Bill Gallagher; Ray Nichols; Bob Bunce (oy vey) don't remember a lot of the marching (M&M) guys.

I seem to recall a Farmingdale Vanguard. Not sure if they were an M&M corps, but they did a lot of parades.

M&M guys: I think Joe Mason was one and when I started at Selden, I believe it was Joe Tucker there. Tucker was a judge also.

Edited by gsksun4

I seem to recall a Farmingdale Vanguard. Not sure if they were an M&M corps, but they did a lot of parades.

M&M guys: I think Joe Mason was one and when I started at Selden, I believe it was Joe Tucker there. Tucker was a judge also.

I'm sure Caaahhhmannn Cluna taught a couple also ... especially if Hy was involved ...

:-)

Carman taught St. Ignatius, I believe.

Let's see, there were The Blue Hornets (Lindenhurst's other corps), The North Bellmore Fire Department Flames (Ponzo's unit, I think), The Vianney Knights (Merrick), The Seaford Golden Hawks (Tom "Bunyon" Mc Carthy's alma mater), The Medford Grenadiers (where Steve Buglino designed drill), The Massapequa Redmen (Jack Graven's corps), The Satellites (whence Bob Murphy sprang)...etc.

Man, Long Island grew tons of corps. It must have been the water.

Ray F and others.

Wow how did I leave out Smithtown "Freelancers". Competed against them. As well as OLPH "Ridgemen", AND, "St. Rocco's" and "LI Kingsmen". They were pretty nice Corps. ('60s-'70s)

Yup - I was just touching on the Long Island Circuit corps.

Frank, being one of the gurus that guided the LI Kingsmen (and others) would have a much better idea of which members I left out.

Those were good times, and there's little question of how the Sunrisers supported DCA's best playing brass section - a lot of home grown players.

I'd love to see Sun reignite the Island, although it's an incredibly different place than it was when Bellmore was the setting for "The Wonder Years".

suck up? You bet... always been a sucker for tiny feet...

• Like 1

suck up? You bet... always been a sucker for tiny feet...

OK, you win.

There is no comeback for that statement.