lol

Yes Ken, but you taught EVERYONE at one time or another... Even I got to work under your baton... and it was a treat...

Frank some thing was before Ray's time ,that's hard to belive .LOL

I hear you, but remember, when John brought out "The Joker" to Mitchell Field in the winter of 65 - 66 I was there...

But I was 15... and not old enough to play with the big guys.

As the American Legion proved in NY the next summer when they pulled two guys off the line for underage.

Do I remember the correctly?

• Like 1

The Hormel Girls was a postwar show troupe. They traveled in a fleet of white Chevrolets. During the day, they went door-to-door peddling Hormel products and extolling their virtues. In the evenings they presented a stage revue - singing and dancing and playing various instruments. For their grand finale, they came out as a bugle and drum corps. And yes, they did compete at Nats.

The Ishpeming Blue Notes were formed on Halloween night 1957. They existed as a junior corps for 20 seasons, sharing domination of the U.P. with the Menominee Northernaires. They also won MI state titles, competing against downstate corps. They re-formed as an alumni corps in 1984, and 30 years later are still going strong. They actually marched in one DCM contest, back in the 90s.

I wrote mail-order bugle charts for the Jr. Blue Notes. I also wrote for, instructed, and have performed with the senior corps.

I have also written for two more corps on Frank's list. And I taught Connor Nash in the CR Grenadiers.

Between you and Frank I feel like I've never worked anywhere.

My wife and I were in stitches when you "performed" "I've Been Everywhere" at the BHoF induction.

I'm fairly sure a couple of the corps I taught were fictitious - e.g. they didn't have a bank account or own any instruments...

Still went out all summer, but...

It was once suggested to me that some of the corps I worked with were figments of my over-active imagination, and I was the only one who could actually see and hear them. (Well, it was the '60s, after all.)

I swear though, this really happened:

We were in the rehearsal arc in the basement of some Legion Post or other, Sasso in the center, trying to polish Procession of the Nobles or some such slightly over our heads piece of repertoire. It was not going perfectly.

A door opens and in walks Horns Up (above). "Who's that?", someone asked. Frank Diliberto, in his best Runyon-esque, replies, "Don't you guys recognize Andy Warhol?"

Over the next few minutes, "Andy" proceeds to walk around the room and sit in with every section of the hornline, sight-reading the charts and nailing every nuance. When he finally puts down the contra, a little voice from behind me whispers, "Well, if that's Warhol, he definitely missed his calling."

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 2

It was once suggested to me that some of the corps I worked with were figments of my over-active imagination, and I was the only one who could actually see and hear them. (Well, it was the '60s, after all.)

I swear though, this really happened:

We were in the rehearsal arc in the basement of some Legion Post or other, Sasso in the center, trying to polish Procession of the Nobles or some such slightly over our heads piece of repertoire. It was not going perfectly.

A door opens and in walks Horns Up (above). "Who's that?", someone asked. Frank Diliberto, in his best Runyon-esque, replies, "Don't you guys recognize Andy Warhol?"

Over the next few minutes, "Andy" proceeds to walk around the room and sit in with every section of the hornline, sight-reading the charts and nailing every nuance. When he finally puts down the contra, a little voice from behind me whispers, "Well, if that's Warhol, he definitely missed his calling."

I'm going to guess it wasn't actually Andy Warhol - are we going to "guess who?"

I'm going with Kenny Norman.

Who else?

Kenny never stopped displaying his "unique" self... I wonder if he remembers one year at some show he needed a place to stay after the party and I offered my hotel room... even though there was an available bed, he slept all night in a yoga position, sitting on the floor... I just shook my head and went to sleep - comfortable in my bed...

Unique is an understatement - but pure musical genius...

Remember that Ken?

First words Ken spoke to me was "Mine's older!".

He was talking about the single valve horns we both were carrying....

I think..... :ninja:

Geez guys - I run back to Texas for 2 days and bang!

Nothing to talk about but how great Kenny Norman is.

That's not news - everyone knows that.

How about a picture?

Or a story?

Anyone have a story.

I like stories with cuddly animals, but not puppies so much... cuddlier.

And not cats - cats should all be dispatched by means of catapults.

The last words every cat should hear should be "PULL!"

Stories?

Pictures?

Can someone draw a picture and I'll try to tell you who it is?

"Oh! It's a stick figure! That has to be Tommy Conlon!"

See how it works?

C'mon... something...

speaking of ...

Donnie won't post but his wife Bonnie is having a hard time... been hospitalized for a few days with a collapsed lung... tomorrow they will operate to try and correct whatever the problem is and re-inflate the lung... our best to them both...

Geesh... all she's put up with with Donnie and now she goes and gets sick... go figure...

hang in there buddy... she'll be fine...