My son Dan and daughter Tammy did the parade in '92 (and maybe 93 - I forget) with the All-Star corps.

Take the "All-Star" title with a grain of salt - Cupcakes played in the group.

I was asked to float above the parade once, like Snoopy, but I was too wide to fit down 5th Avenue so I had to pass.

I recall in 67 we had to learn a small drill to do at the reviewing stand and we were rehearsing at the Bar Harbour shopping center on Merrick Rd. in Massapequa. Late fall day and the wind was brutal. I don't think we made the TV and were bumped by another group.

Think it rained on the 67 parade and 68 had the nice weather, but can't remember what we played at the reviewing stand in either.

I do recall the crowds loved us and kept yelling for us to play. I think they thought we were wooden soldiers with horns.

Most of it was move a block and wait, over and over. Took a long time to get down to Herald Square from the park.

"Macy Parade"

St Kevin's Emerald Knights and the old Racine Scouts marched in "Macy's" in the early/mid 1960's.

I thought I saw someplace that the Hawthorne Muchacho's and Caballeros "Combined" for a stint at "Macy's" also.

Congrat's to Madison.

Elphaba

Lots of opinions on the Madison Scouts Macy's Parade thread and drum corps in that parade in general. They mention the Skyliners, Cabs, Cadets and All Star D&B Corps but most posting don't seem to know there were others back in the 60's.

Wasn't there a Jersey drum corps guy during that time that booked corps to march in the parade? I seem to recall SAC, Sky (Playing Miserlou, was that Swan?), Cabs and we did 67 and 68.

Sky last did Macy's in 1964 ... Swan was one of the main sops in the number ... others in the trio/quartet that year were Joe DeFiglia, Johnny Guarino, Tommy Martin and Timmy Renne (sp) ... any given day could have featured any of the lead sops hopping from solo to solo ... quite a lead line back then ...

I recall Hawthorne doing the parade several times and seem to remember the Matadors appearing in 77 or 78 ...

The 92 and 94 "All Star" corps that was put together by Tony DiCarlo was amazing ... hearing Dreitzer's L'il Ole NY played by 180 brass was incredible ... I went down for the Tuesday night run-through in front of the reviewing stand and the crowd had never heard a wall of sound like that ... they almost sounded as loud as the 72 corps ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Lots of opinions on the Madison Scouts Macy's Parade thread and drum corps in that parade in general. They mention the Skyliners, Cabs, Cadets and All Star D&B Corps but most posting don't seem to know there were others back in the 60's.

Wasn't there a Jersey drum corps guy during that time that booked corps to march in the parade? I seem to recall SAC, Sky (Playing Miserlou, was that Swan?), Cabs and we did 67 and 68.

That guy was Dr. Bernard Baggs of Bergenfield HS and a bugle judge of reknown. Many corps have marched in that parade over the years. '63 had Skyliners, Caballeros, Yankee Rebels, Blessed Sacrament, St. Kevin's and Garfield. Nice line up and all got good TV time. Have checked and NBC no longer has the tapes of that parade. ####, would love to have a DVD of that year's gig.

Video tape was a very expensive technology in those days and it was customary to simply erase and re-use the stock.

1963 is so early in the process that there may have been some 8 or 16 track film, as well. It might be worth checking with Macy's public relations folks. I have actually seen a documentary about the history of the parade, so some of this must exist, at least.

Video tape was a very expensive technology in those days and it was customary to simply erase and re-use the stock.

1963 is so early in the process that there may have been some 8 or 16 track film, as well. It might be worth checking with Macy's public relations folks. I have actually seen a documentary about the history of the parade, so some of this must exist, at least.

If we can locate the documentary, the credits at the end might lead us to the source(s) of the parade footage ... and/or the producer/director who put it together ... anybody have contacts at Macy's or NBC? ... they usually put these types of specials together on major anniversaries ... the last would have been #80 or #85 ... start to put your feelers out Frank ... this could be good stuff for the future DC virtual museum ...

Sunrisers did the Macys Parade 66-and 68 along with the Warriors and the air force Flight of Sound ,All three corps that year where playing "Man Of La Mancha " { I Don Quixote } Sunrisers also played "Dulcinea " from the same show..Loved the muisic from that show .

Edited by Florida Sun

"... this could be good stuff for the future DC virtual museum .."

Well, somebody has this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5q47cSmq3s

... You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at. ...