Lest anyone think we have gone Off Topic here...

the following clip shows an All-Girl Drum Corps in the Macy's Parade (at 0:46):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVpE5g7_1As

So, who is it, and can you guess the year, + or - five?

No idea who the gals are, but I would guess mid to late 50's parade.

Interesting thing when I view old photos and how way back all the men wore hats. You can see that in the beginning footage.

Also, some of those balloons in the early footage would never make the street these days for fear of a law suit, scaring the children to death.

Lest anyone think we have gone Off Topic here...

the following clip shows an All-Girl Drum Corps in the Macy's Parade (at 0:46):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVpE5g7_1As

So, who is it, and can you guess the year, + or - five?

According to some photos on FB - Drum Corps of the VFW and American Legion, it is the Monroe, Ga. HS All-Girls drum and bugle corps in 1959.

Dang, if it wasn't for ironlips link I never would have known Barney the dinosaur got impaled in 1997.

Almost as enjoyable as the girls corps pic.....

• Like 1

These young women were not fooling around either, holding those horns with one hand and playing. Not all that easy for some.

Let's see, who was famous for that. Do I hear Hawthorne, early 60's and those Rumps?

Vitually every corps did the one hand hold and arm swing in some part of their show up through the early 60's ... another feather in the cap for early players to hold a tune and carry their military bearing ...

:-)

In all your searching does anyone know what year was the first to have a drum corps in the Macy's Parade ,and who was it ?

Vitually every corps did the one hand hold and arm swing in some part of their show up through the early 60's ... another feather in the cap for early players to hold a tune and carry their military bearing ...

:-)

Not only could I NOT play and swing my arm, I couldn't even hold a feather in my cap.

Gene Bennett said I was the single worst marcher he ever tried to work with, God bless him.

Not only could I NOT play and swing my arm, I couldn't even hold a feather in my cap.

Gene Bennett said I was the single worst marcher he ever tried to work with, God bless him.

A reason why you, and later Tony, ended up on the DM podium for Sun??? :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1