Agawam in those days really was a kind of combination soccer game, parade and prom. They actually held a "Military Ball", a formal affair where the guys all wore their corps uniforms and the ladies, gowns. There was a queen and princesses. (Today they'd all be in the color guard.)

Agawam in those days really was a kind of combination soccer game, parade and prom. They actually held a "Military Ball", a formal affair where the guys all wore their corps uniforms and the ladies, gowns. There was a queen and princesses. (Today they'd all be in the color guard.)

I had military balls once for 6 months - it's sort of like athlete's foot, tennis elbow... that sort of thing.

I think it's from being kicked repeatedly.

Went away in early 1974.

Went to Texas for Fort Worth Symphony tonight - Appalachian Springs; Barber's Violin Concerto (one of my favorite pieces of music - unbelievable 18 year old soloist - pisses ya off to hear a kid play like that) and (yawn) Shostakovich's 9th Symphony - neat but didn't fit on the program - plus I don't think the FWSO really got it.

Music is cool. Thanks to everyone that got me on that path. Some people's lives revolve around football games (which are nice but...)

OK, back to bed.

Thanks for the military balls reference Frank. Now I'm sore again. You never forget.

OT Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Frank... read this (Nanci's incredible Historical treasure trove from 1962)

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/2006/03/skyliners-loretto-cop-honors-at-soggy.html

2 questions: You remember being disqualified for street clothes?

Should it have been "Phil" Mafuse? or was "Philly" a nickname like Bucky?

I never remember him being called Bill Mafuse...

Yes, it was "Phil", and I'm not so sure his last name is spelled correctly here, either. The traditional Egyptian/Turkish spelling would be "Mafouz".

As for '62, yes I do remember that DQ. Our uniforms were barely a year old and featured a red crossbelt which would have run into the cream jackets, ruining them forever. Those plastic see-through ponchos that are ubiquitous today were unheard-of then. (No one wore plumes, either, in rain.)

The DQ was probably a result of the Friday morning front-page NY Daily News photo showing Mervin Hurd marching in street clothes, holding an umbrella over his head while playing the bass drum on which the corps name and Legion Post affiliation were clearly readable.

Well, at least Loretto got to win the NY State title this one time before they disbanded.

• Like 2

Not soon after that the Queensmen folded if I'm correct .I went to a Queensmen reunion in the 80s while marching with Sunrisers it was at someones home in New Hyde Park ,can't remember who's home but there had to be some 60 ex Queensmen & Marroinettes there ,Planed on just stopping by ,but you all know how that goes ,I think I left the party like 3 in the morning ,

OK, getting on a plane in Texas heading for Boston - tried to fly last night but flight cancelled due to a broken megaphone.

Can't make it up.

Hoping to see a new GW subject on arrival in Boston.

Or whenever.

Night...

Ray F,

Will you be attending the Alumni Show in Plymouth next Saturday? (A mere 45-minute drive from Bean-town, I'm told.)

It will be a great opportunity to collect some current Guess Who photos.

Frank, are you going?

I'll be there, too. As a spectator, and consumer of clam chowder and lobster rolls. LOL.

Tried a Balkan Café for lunch Saturday .i have friends in Serbia and all the food on the menu was pretty much Serbian .Started with sis Cevap ,long minced beef rolls with a spicer taste ,seviered on some thing like pita bread but a little thicker ,side of a melted spread like butter but lite and sweet & salty ,and a vegetable dip make mostly from sweet red peppers ,I ordered take out to have with my friends in Serbia on Skype A Balkan Mix plate with Cevapi ,5 pcs ,Sudzuka 2pcs and veal strips mixed with grilled mushrooms and onions ,Also try the cake of the day ,can't eat at this place with out having there homemade cakes ,a creame lite cake 3 layers top like a vallina crème ,2nd very fine chopped walnuts ,3-rd a lite cappuccino favour ,This place is so good ,can't wait to go back and try other dishes ,Also ordered a greek salad to go ,enough to feed 4 people ,And nothing on the menu over $9.00 dollars .Very surpised to find a place like this in Jacksonville ,Florida

Ray F,

Will you be attending the Alumni Show in Plymouth next Saturday? (A mere 45-minute drive from Bean-town, I'm told.)

It will be a great opportunity to collect some current Guess Who photos.

Hadn't planned on it, but...

Let me see how Carrie feels...

For my ear there's only 2 or 3 sounds worse than Alumni Corps in November, and the others have sirens or hungry cows involved.

I'll let you know.

Charity Ball on Friday with JetBlue so Carrie might be beat.